PDA

View Full Version : PACEY Agency Standpoint

Rick
16-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Email from PACEY today which you might find interesting if you haven't already seen it:

PACEY Childminder Agency Update

There are now 20 childminder agencies being piloted in England and, despite extensive lobbying against the concept of an agency by PACEY and others, legislation making them a legal reality is on its final stages through Westminster. From next September, agencies will become part of the childcare landscape. So PACEY has taken time to review its current policy on agencies.

Through this review, PACEY reaffirmed that it will continue to raise the following key policy concerns:

the negative impact agencies could have on the perceived quality and professional standing of childminding to decision makers, childminders, parents etc
the risk of increased costs (in agency fees) to parents and childminders
the available evidence that shows agencies do not drive up quality of care for children
that childminders do not have to join an agency – it must never be compulsory
PACEY will continue to raise awareness of the fact that agencies are an optional route to registration and childminders can choose to remain independently registered with Ofsted. Childminders do not have to join an agency.

Indeed PACEY will continue to encourage childminders to retain their individual registration with Ofsted for all the positive reasons we have communicated so far. Where a childminder remains independent, PACEY will continue to raise awareness that a local authority must continue to provide them with support (as set out in their statutory duties). This will be especially important in childminder agency pilot areas where independent childminders are concerned they may be left without the support they would traditionally access from LAs.

As part of all this, PACEY will now regularly review the pilots as they develop, to better monitor their impact on the issues above, and will be asking members to support it by providing local intelligence.

Up until now, PACEY has not provided government or regulators with any advice on the development of childminder agencies nor the regulation that will set the minimum standards they will be required to meet by Ofsted. Going forward, this will remain the case for the development of agencies e.g. PACEY will not advise government or organisations running pilots how to ensure a successful business model, one which is viable, attractive to childminders and parents alike, and navigates the myriad of tax, insurance and other liability issues that come with agencies delivering services to families via self-employed individuals.

PACEY remains concerned about agencies and does not want to help them to succeed. However, PACEY exists to ensure high standards of care and learning to all children in childcare, and has recognised that there will be increasing numbers of children cared for by agency childminders as they become law in September 2014. So PACEY has decided that it now needs to start to advise government and regulators on how to develop a robust registration and inspection framework that ensures minimum standards for childminder agencies; keep children safe and still enable childminders to deliver quality childcare to children and families.

PACEY will be providing this advice and scrutiny at a national level. Where PACEY is currently under contract, to support a local authority's childminding development and that local authority is also piloting an agency approach, PACEY staff will mirror that advice and scrutiny on what an agency will for required through regulation to do. However, PACEY staff will not assist pilot childminder agencies to develop their business model nor with the marketing and promotion of the agency to local childminders.

In summary PACEY will continue to oppose the agency model on the grounds of cost, the negative impact it will have on childminder professionalism and a lack of evidence that they will drive up quality for children but will provide advice and scrutiny on proposals for the regulatory framework for agencies.

On behalf of our members, PACEY will scrutinise the childminder agency models by gathering information from staff working in the pilot areas, reviewing public domain information on pilot agency programmes of support, and via direct member feedback. This position will allow PACEY to focus its efforts on defining the minimum standards any agency should meet, whilst continuing to highlight the risks the model presents and the need to provide the vast majority of childminders (who choose not to join an agency) with support. The agency pilots will be evaluated in summer 2014. PACEY will review its position on these issues again, in light of this evaluation.

Queries from childminder agency pilots with which PACEY has contracts will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis during the pilot period, to ensure consistency of messaging.

Simona
16-12-2013, 08:46 PM
If my representing association decided to suddenly advice on the agency I would not be pleased in the least.
Pacey reinforces that so far:

PACEY has not provided government or regulators with any advice on the development of childminder agencies nor the regulation that will set the minimum standards they will be required to meet by Ofsted.

The new standpoint is:

So PACEY has decided that it now needs to start to advise government and regulators on how to develop a robust registration and inspection framework that ensures minimum standards for childminder agencies; keep children safe and still enable childminders to deliver quality childcare to children and families.

Am I the only one who is confused?
by advising on the above Pacey will give its very valuable insight into what Cms require and make the job very easy for agencies...therefore, in my personal view, will help agencies to be a success

Smiley
16-12-2013, 09:37 PM
For once I am speechless! Very disappointed and pleased I'm no longer a member.

Koala
16-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Well I think, rather cynically I know, but it is my opinion - Pacey will not turn away any business from ANYONE, (they can't afford to) from the state of their advertising companies in who minds (not sure if who minds is still going I quite my membership last year after 10 years) makes this obvious and if agencies are another avenue to add to their coffers then why would they not support them?

I have been disappointed for a long while with PACEY and feel let down that the NCMA 'sold out' (In my opinion). And I think childminders are being 'sold out' full stop. Sold out or stitched up - you choose.

Simona
18-12-2013, 09:02 AM
There have been few comments on this in the forum but I understand it has been discussed on FB and concerns raised about pacey's new standpoint
Unfortunately for those who are not on FB the discussion is closed to us while the forum is open to all to read

Yesterday I communicated with pacey and my own representing association on the matter and I will go on today to talk to others ...but one person is not enough we need thousands raising their worries

Mouse
18-12-2013, 09:10 AM
What I did see on FB (although I can't remember where) is that a couple of LAs who are piloting the agencies have decided that they will not be cost effective, so won't be going down that route. That's got to be good news.

Simona
18-12-2013, 12:59 PM
What I did see on FB (although I can't remember where) is that a couple of LAs who are piloting the agencies have decided that they will not be cost effective, so won't be going down that route. That's got to be good news.

Thank you for sharing that Mouse...it is very much good news

Mouse
18-12-2013, 01:58 PM
I think the LA was Wigan. Maybe if there's anyone on here from that area they may know more details.

sarah707
18-12-2013, 06:29 PM
I agree Rick it is very worrying and quite strange that a company which says it doesn't agree with agencies is now going to be advising on them ...

I wonder if Pacey are going to clarify their statement? :(

Chatterbox Childcare
18-12-2013, 06:34 PM
I wasn't going to comment but I have read and re read this and the statement says that they are going to "monitor" and stresses that they do not agree with agencies.

What am I missing?

Simona
18-12-2013, 06:51 PM
It is clear that Pacey do not agree with agencies

What they intend to do is to advice the govt on putting in place a strong framework for inspection and registration...that is not the same as supporting agencies and I know there is much speculation amongst cms and that won't help.

I do feel personally that Pacey should not do so as I am sure that Ofsted will be well in place to monitor whether agencies have a strong framework
Has any other representing association offered this same support to the govt? I doubt it!

We have not heard whether Pacey has been accepted as 'advisor' by the DfE on this issue ...saying they want to advise is not the same as being accepted....so yes more clarification is required

Yes agencies must have a strong framework in place but most important they must keep children well safeguarded
Pacey should act on behalf of all cms not just their members if they are worried about children in an agency cms' care!

Giving support at this level is to ensure agencies succeed...agencies are meant to lower cost to parents...no evidence so far.
What they will do is to ensure Ofsted saves £££ on individual inspections....my view of course but also shared by many!

Simona
27-12-2013, 09:25 AM
I have seen some comments elsewhere on the matter of pacey's standpoint and I am really surprised that some cms can dismiss the worry some may have....they appear to disagree with those who feel unsure about pacey's standpoint.

I know that there will be cms who agree with pacey stepping in ...while others remain confused and worried.
I feel that both groups need to be allowed to have their own opinions and respected for that.