PDA

View Full Version : Leftovers?

CookieCutter
15-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Hello everyone,

I was just having a look on netmums and found a post from a parent listing complaints about her cm. Some of the complaints were actual problems, but she wasn't happy that her cm sometimes gave her lo leftovers for tea. I do this, and didn't once think it could be frowned upon. I look after a lo who is collected at 5pm (sometimes 15-20 minutes early), and she's a slow eater so I have to have her starting on her food by 4pm in order to have her wiped up and ready to go on time. My own family don't eat dinner until 6pm, so I usually cook extra for our evening meal and save some for my mindee for the next day. I cook a lot of nice, homemade meals (not exclusively, we have not so healthy foods sometimes!) and mindee is always happy to have them reheated the next day.

Is there any reason (other than snobbery), that I shouldn't be serving leftovers?

amyp
15-12-2013, 10:40 PM
No- as long as they are stored and reheated safely, it's fine. I eat leftovers so does my own 13 month old. It's like cooking a large meal and freezing the whole lot in smaller portions, which everyone sees as fine(and organised!) but you eat some before it goes in the freezer!

The Juggler
15-12-2013, 10:41 PM
No- as long as they are stored and reheated safely, it's fine. I eat leftovers so does my own 13 month old. It's like cooking a large meal and freezing the whole lot in smaller portions, which everyone sees as fine(and organised!) but you eat some before it goes in the freezer!

well said!

amanda1309
15-12-2013, 10:47 PM
It's leftovers most days here. I don't do an evening meal for mindees they get a snack as parents like to do evening meal.

I cook most nights for my family and do extra so mindees get a hot meal the next day.

Think we need to change our name for it from left overs to batch cooking :laughing:

dawn100
16-12-2013, 12:30 AM
It's all how it's worded, leftovers to some people might make them think of the unwanted veg like sprouts but in fact you are keeping back a portion of nutritious food. I often cook in bulk so will make enough spag Bol to feed my family twice and 5 or so mindee portions, sometimes I might make a fish pie or similar and it doesn't all get eaten so will put back a portion for a mindee.
I don't say I feed leftovers but that I reheat pre-prepared meals.

hectors house
16-12-2013, 07:35 AM
Someone once said to me "do the children get the leftovers", I cook a large meal each evening, dish it up straight into the childrens bowls and either put in fridge or freezer, I often do this also for my daughter as she works evenings and often prefers to eat her meal the next day rather than at 10 pm. I don't call this leftovers as I make sure I cook enough for the portions I require - leftovers is what is left on the plates and the dogs get these!

JCrakers
16-12-2013, 08:22 AM
I put a meal aside when I cook and serve it the next day. I wouldn't call it leftovers as that sounds like scraps you would give your dog :laughing:

Nothing wrong with serving up yesterdays cooked meal

Maza
16-12-2013, 09:58 AM
I agree, it's all how it is worded. You aren't actually feeding the child 'leftovers'. You are giving her a home cooked, nutritious meal and because you are so organised you cooked it the day before with your mindees needs at the forefront of your mind.

bunyip
16-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Just a few observations.

I guess the Nutmum who is complaining will be throwing a h3ll of a lot of turkey in the bin come teatime on Christmas Day.

She really should take care never to see the inside of any hotel/restaurant kitchen if she has worries about leftovers. They know perfectly good food when they see it, and they know that wasted food is wasted money.

If her assumption that uneaten, cooked food = "leftovers" is to be believed, then does this crazy mum ever buy cooked chicken or boiled ham, etc. from the deli counter? I assume she either doesn't buy it, or she takes it home and immediately throws it in the bin. :huh:

She's either very spoilt, very privileged, or doesn't realise that many people actually relied on leftovers as part of their normal diet not that very long ago (and this probably includes her and her parents.)

:p

CookieCutter
16-12-2013, 12:08 PM
I'm so glad I'm not alone in serving 'leftovers'! I think if anyone ever asked me not to serve their child 'leftovers', I would tell them I'll get a fresh mcdonalds instead.

k-tots
16-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Cooking in bulk is what most restaurants do anyway. .....thats what our"leftovers" are.....like a poster said it bulk cooking for many

hectors house
16-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Cooking in bulk is what most restaurants do anyway. .....thats what our"leftovers" are.....like a poster said it bulk cooking for many

Sometimes I dish up the childrens meals and then dish up the left overs for my family!

cathtee
16-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Sometimes I dish up the childrens meals and then dish up the left overs for my family!

Yep I do this too :thumbsup: