PDA

View Full Version : Shaving foam

Leela
15-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Our LA has banned use of shaving foam, does anyone know why its no longer condudered safe ?And is there an alternative I can use?

blue bear
15-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Not heard of it,, ours discourage it for under threes and encourage squinty cream instead, would be ok except one of mine has a diary allergy.

moggy
15-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Do you mean banned it in LA-organised groups/sessions? I don't think they can 'ban' it at CMers. They may express a preference or guideline.
Anyway, I don't like it and have never used it as it is has chemicals in, strong fragrances etc, I would not like to breath it in, I would not use it on my skin and it is not designed for toddlers to use.

May be worded a bit OTT but this website Discovery Health "Harmful Ingredients in Shaving Cream" (http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/men/shaving-tips/chemicals-in-shaving-cream2.htm) says about contents of shaving foam:

Propolene glycol is a humectant like glycerin, but unlike glycerin, it's more frequently found in antifreeze and brake fluid. Triethanolamine, better known as TEA, is an emulsifying agent, meaning it helps keep the oil and water from separating. It's also a very controversial ingredient in the cosmetic industry because not only is it a skin irritant, but many formulas containing TEA are found to be contaminated with nitrosamines, which are linked to cancer. Sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS) and sodium laureth sulphate (SLES) are two more controversial skincare ingredients. These make a great lather, but they also have a number of health implications. Lauryl mimics estrogen, which is especially problematic for women, and laureth often hosts a known carcinogen called dioxane.

On the moisture front, an oil that will frequently pop up in shaving creams is mineral oil. This is something you definitely don't want to put on your face. Mineral oil is a byproduct of petroleum. Yes, that's right -- gasoline. It sits on top of the skin, which locks in moisture, but it can also block your pores. You're better off sticking with oils that are derived from nature, so look for plant-based oils. You're also better off avoiding formulas that contain synthetic colors and fragrance oils. Both of these ingredients have been found to be highly irritating.

mrs robbie williams
15-12-2013, 04:14 PM
we had shaving fom in tuff spot at surestart stay and play on weds :thumbsup:

Leela
15-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Do you mean banned it in LA-organised groups/sessions? I don't think they can 'ban' it at CMers. They may express a preference or guideline.
Anyway, I don't like it and have never used it as it is has chemicals in, strong fragrances etc, I would not like to breath it in, I would not use it on my skin and it is not designed for toddlers to use.

May be worded a bit OTT but this website Discovery Health "Harmful Ingredients in Shaving Cream" (http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/men/shaving-tips/chemicals-in-shaving-cream2.htm) says about contents of shaving foam:

Propolene glycol is a humectant like glycerin, but unlike glycerin, it's more frequently found in antifreeze and brake fluid. Triethanolamine, better known as TEA, is an emulsifying agent, meaning it helps keep the oil and water from separating. It's also a very controversial ingredient in the cosmetic industry because not only is it a skin irritant, but many formulas containing TEA are found to be contaminated with nitrosamines, which are linked to cancer. Sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS) and sodium laureth sulphate (SLES) are two more controversial skincare ingredients. These make a great lather, but they also have a number of health implications. Lauryl mimics estrogen, which is especially problematic for women, and laureth often hosts a known carcinogen called dioxane.

On the moisture front, an oil that will frequently pop up in shaving creams is mineral oil. This is something you definitely don't want to put on your face. Mineral oil is a byproduct of petroleum. Yes, that's right -- gasoline. It sits on top of the skin, which locks in moisture, but it can also block your pores. You're better off sticking with oils that are derived from nature, so look for plant-based oils. You're also better off avoiding formulas that contain synthetic colors and fragrance oils. Both of these ingredients have been found to be highly irritating.

I have checked the LA website and the recommendation is that it should not be used not banned, sorry about that, the reasons given are basically all the above. They suggest alternative foam products although cream in aerosol dissolves much faster.