PDA

View Full Version : Biting

allinatiz
18-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Ggrrrrr!

My daughter has bitten my mindee for the second time in two weeks and I'm absolutely mortified!

None of my other children have been biters so other than strapping her mouth up with tape ;) has anyone got any tips for me please?

Mrs.L.C
18-07-2008, 12:18 PM
It horrid isnt it when they start biting. You could maybe try observing to see if theres a particular time they start biting. It might be that they are hungry- there fore give snack/lunch slightly earlier or the other child may have taken a toy off them or that they are tired. If you can pin point when its happening you may find that an easier solution to resolve than trying to stop her biting. Its the same with any negative behaviour...if you give them the attention by telling them off they may be more likely to do it again but its not something you can ignore either. try to gve the child who was bitten more attention and ignore the bitey then try to praise them with something they do afterwards

ruby
18-07-2008, 01:45 PM
we had this the other week T decided to bite J on her arm. it was quite a nasty one luckly he did not break the skin.

we put T on the chair and ignored him and made a fuss of J
the noise he made you thought we were killing him:laughing:

we then showed him the mark on J arm and he said sorry and they hugged each other

not had a repeat preformance thank god.

J mother was great said that she had done it once at the nursery she use to go to.

Cathy

Blackhorse
18-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Hi,
Not much help probably but here it goes....

I am not sure what you will think about the following but I used to bite and this is what the GP at the time (about 25 years ago) told my mum (which btw worked!)

He told her to bite bake!! Not very hard or anything, but just a bit so that I would realise that it was not nice to be bitten. (I think my mum bit me in the shoulder..):eek: :eek:
What I have been told by my family is that I used to bite people I actually liked. For me this seemed to have been a way of showing affection, I just took it to far..
I bit a few other kids too, even if they were much older and bigger than myself frequently drawing blood...
The time my mum bit me was the last time I ever bit anyone..

Oh did I mention I was an angel as a child???:D :D

PS My mum is a really good mum. I think her biting me gently was a last resort as adviced by the GP. No harm was ever done to me!!:thumbsup:

Mrs.L.C
18-07-2008, 04:02 PM
I think I used a similar idea when my daughter kept pulling haor so I did it back gently to show her how it felt. I felt so guilty though but it did work. Problem is you couldnt do this to a child who wasnt yours

allinatiz
22-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Thank you!

I do know why she's doing it, it's when my mindee has a toy that she wants and it's a case of me getting to her quick enough to stop her! She's only 19 months so although she understands no she's not great at stopping herself :(

Fortunately mindees mum has a son that used to bite so she's very understanding, doesn't stop me feeling awful though!

childminder54
22-07-2008, 12:25 PM
HOPE U SORT IT OUT..

VERONICAXXX

Mrs.L.C
22-07-2008, 02:01 PM
At elast you know why shes doing it. Maybe plan some activities around sharing or doing things together. Im sure you do this anyway so fingers crossed for you that shes grows out of it very soon