PDA

View Full Version : Male apprentice?

jadavi
14-12-2013, 10:52 AM
With all the reported anti male stuff going on here I wonder what people's opinion is on me getting a young male apprentice. Do you think parent might have a problem with it?

I have always wanted a young man assistant to give a positive male role model in the setting and I thought my dream had come true when one applied (student - his tutor phoned me and I am meeting both Monday)

Do you think parents will be ok with toiletting, changing etc etc?

clareelizabeth1
14-12-2013, 12:13 PM
I think some will and some won't it is such a personal feelings thing.

I think it would make me chose a setting especially for my little boy as even at one he looks up to men and really loves spending time doing things with Granddad. I think it would be fab for him to have a young man to look up to.

I did have my uncle registered as my assistant and it did put some people off but I felt if that was there view I didn't want them anyway.

jadavi
14-12-2013, 10:09 PM
True I feel the same.

I'll see what my current parents think - I think they'll be cool with it.

dawn100
16-12-2013, 12:46 AM
If you ask parents if they have a problem with it and all but one are ok what will you do?
Also if you ask if they have a problem with it the asking them might make them think they should have a problem with a male providing care which the might not of had if you had just said you were- if that makes sense.
Re toilet, nappies etc my local pre-school and a cm I know who has a female student just has a policy which says they will not provide any intimate care for the children.

jadavi
16-12-2013, 08:14 AM
Thanks - good point.

Am apprentice will need to learn about nappy changing though! It's a big part of the job

dawn100
16-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Sorry just re-read my post and I missed out a vital word it should of said they would not provide any unspervised intimate care.

jadavi
16-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Aha thanks
Of course.
Very helpful
Meeting him in an hour with his tutor!!

bunyip
16-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Maybe you should ask parents' views in an open-questioning way. If you draw attention to any particular aspect, it could look as if you're expecting it to be a problem, and parents might start to think in that way IYSWIM. It's possibl parents might be concerned about the age of the apprentice rather than his gender: people have all kinds of funny prejudices and reservations.

You might get, say, one family that doesn't permit toileting whilst other families are ok with it. This would still give your apprentice opportunities to change nappies - just not for the one who has denied consent. OTOH you may feel you need to support the apprentice with an 'all or nothing' approach. It depends how you and he feel about possible restrictions or variations in parental consent.

At training and other events I've encountered male nursery workers. Most said they knew they could change some babies/children but not others. Only one had such support from his manager that parents refusing consent were politely asked to reconsider their choice of nursery.

The idea of parents' wishes being used as a valid reason for prejudice does sadly persist. I do hope to see the day when this argument is consigned to history. After all, some of us can still remember when parents could argue they didn't like "foreigners" treating their little darlings on hospital childrens' wards. :(

jadavi
16-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Thanks Bunyip. I agree

Having met the person i will do a trial and see.
The college have kindly agreed to foot the bill for a disclosure. Does anyone know if this can be a regular one or does it have to be ofsted!'s own for am apprentice?