PDA

View Full Version : Do you know what you are getting?

jadavi
14-12-2013, 05:27 AM
Dumb husband bought both my presents (have My birthday over xmas too) on our joint amazon account so I can see what they are!!

A wobble board for practising balance for my skiing and a dictaphone for my memoirs. Both asked for and will be much used and enjoyed.
Recreation is the name of the game for me this year with all the stress around our Cming future.
What about you? Do you know exactly what you're getting?

My big present is to myself to celebrate my 60th - taking hubby sking in Austria on jan 4!!

FussyElmo
14-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Yes I am having a electronic spice grinder I know this because I ordered it for him so he didn't get it wrong :laughing::laughing::laughing:

charlottenash
14-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Tumble dryer, received and using it, love it!

I know most women hate getting domestic items for Xmas but I love it, use it all year and think how thoughtful a gift it was!

The Juggler
14-12-2013, 09:20 AM
me and hubby don't do pressies at xmas. Our birthdays are in Jan and Feb. We used to buy a small something from the kids to each other but this year our kids (11 and 14) announced they wanted to take money out of their savings and buy for us and the grandparents so even that job has been made redundant.

Jadavi enjoy your ski trip!

loocyloo
14-12-2013, 09:34 AM
i'm pretty sure what I am getting as I give DH a few ideas, and he rarely deviates! :D

charlottenash ... I'm not against getting domestic items for Christmas ... as long I decide I want them !!!

Jadavi ... have a wonderful skiing trip :D

kellib
14-12-2013, 09:41 AM
I know that my mum has bought me tickets for ant & dec's tour but other than that it'll be surprises for me!

blue bear
14-12-2013, 09:44 AM
We just uh joke presents for each other, have a good laugh and enjoy the day, no pressure.

Emra81
14-12-2013, 10:41 AM
We're just doing a few stocking presents for each other and then hopefully going away for a weekend in January courtesy of clubcard vouchers...currently looking up possible hotels and hoping we can actually get one booked! x

clareelizabeth1
14-12-2013, 12:15 PM
My sister has got me a handmuff for my pushchair as I always moan about cold hands and hate gloves. She showed it to her boy friend who was horrified and said it was not appropriate to buy me boob warmers.

Chatterbox Childcare
14-12-2013, 12:28 PM
My children will get me suprises now they are earning and I have my birthday on the 26th so I will get something nice then too. I had my holiday in Bali for my birthday a bit early so not expecting anything from my DH.

PixiePetal
14-12-2013, 12:42 PM
DH has got me an ipad mini - he got DD to sort it after I had put in my request, she checked what colour etc so she got it right :thumbsup:

Last year I got my Kitchen Aid mixer which was a total surprise/shock - I had wanted one for 4 years at least!

DD gets money from DH to get other bits I don't know about and she has her own Amazon/ebay accounts etc so I don't get to find out.

It is hard for me to keep DHs presents quiet if I buy online as we share an email address - keep putting them into a file hoping he won't find them!

Bluebell
14-12-2013, 08:01 PM
I usually have to buy my own presents and end up wrapping them myself too. This year I don't want anything. If I drop hints my hubby gets it wrong and I'm disappointed - more in that he doesn't listen to me or know me very well rather than the actual gift if you see what I mean (and I end up looking really ungrateful) Best present I ever had was saved up my money myself for Kindle.
This year my husband has gone and spent a fortune on himself, and bought himself something for himself from the boys too - I think they are old enough to start to understand they should be learning about the 'giving' part of Christmas so its a shame they didn't get any consultation or choice!

blue bear
14-12-2013, 08:53 PM
I usually have to buy my own presents and end up wrapping them myself too. This year I don't want anything. If I drop hints my hubby gets it wrong and I'm disappointed - more in that he doesn't listen to me or know me very well rather than the actual gift if you see what I mean (and I end up looking really ungrateful) Best present I ever had was saved up my money myself for Kindle.
This year my husband has gone and spent a fortune on himself, and bought himself something for himself from the boys too - I think they are old enough to start to understand they should be learning about the 'giving' part of Christmas so its a shame they didn't get any consultation or choice!

Hugs to you bluebell, present giving often brings disappointment, that's why we decided on joke presents and just enjoy the day. The worst present DH got me was a toilet brush and he still can't understand why I was so ungrateful.

bunyip
14-12-2013, 08:56 PM
I'll be getting the same as every Christmas:-

1. Woken up early.

2. Broken baubles trodden deep into the carpet.

3. Pine needles everywhere. Why does this happen every Christmas? Even when we have a fake tree? And how on Earth do the needles always manage to get into the bath tub? :huh:

4. A pile of washing up that actually exceeds the total amount of crockery, cutlery and kitchenware that we currently own. :panic:

5. Enough waste food to sort out world hunger once and for all. Naturally, with (most) shops closed for an entire day, Mrs B feels obliged to buy in enough food to last a month. An aside: why do so many packs of mince pies have a pre-25th 'best before' date? :p

6. A massive pile of waste paper in the form of discarded gift-wrap as the grandchildren rip into an orgy of presents opened so frenetically that all semblance of order is lost, together with the accompanying gift tags, so nobody knows who got what from whom. But then, who needs them: the days of thank-you letters and general gratitude are long gone anyway.

7. Family demands to raid my private battery store - cos I seem to be the only person on the entire planet with the wit to realise that battery-operated toys and other equipment doesn't work if you forget to buy the batteries.

8. This year's pointless TV 'Christmas Specials'.

9. Re-runs of previous year's pointless TV 'Christmas Specials'.

10. People getting stressed about the cost, lack of time, and that the whole thing will be utterly ruined if so much as one Brussels Sprout is out of place etc. etc. etc. - and who then have the nerve to label me a Grinch/MOG/etc. precisely for making an attempt to minimise the stress that they're all bringing on themselves this time each year.

Merry Saturnalia everybody...... bah bl00dy humbug. :(

FloraDora
14-12-2013, 09:17 PM
On a photography holiday in May I fell in love with a Nespresso coffee machine.

Ready steady go... Action plan - Nespresso for Christmas...

* visit Selfridges Nespresso - free coffee, listen to sales pitch...

DH thinks price of pods extortionate...

* visit friends who have Nespresso machine...swear them to secrecy...." Lovely coffee" says DH ...." New coffeee machine etc.. " say friends....." We love Nespresso pods!"....

* point out offers on internet for reduce price pods....
* buy beans on next shopping trip...DH has to grind before making filter coffee.
* make full jug of coffee every time....discuss wastage..
* watch all adverts with George Cloony ( for me ..not him!! ...keeps the enthusiasm on track)

Somebody loves me....super duper current coffee maker starts to leek!!!!

* revisit friends with Nespresso maker...

Final tacktic: casually browse Nespresso dept in John Lewis ( DH fav shop) ....casually enter in discussion with Nespresso salesman ( with knowledge that DH is always a sucker for sales! ) with knowledge that they have special offer....

Taste .....DH fav style of coffee ..... Take an important phone call....tell DH I will meet him outside shop in 5 .....

DH meets me 15 mins later ...walking towards me from direction of car park....get home ....DH volunteers to bring in shopping from car..later that day .... Suddenly finds reason to visit loft....

Will let you know on the 25th ....but I am hoping that my strategic planning pays off and I will be drinking breakfast coffee from a red Nespresso coffee machine on Christmas morning!!!

Watch this space!

Vikki5531
14-12-2013, 09:22 PM
I asked my 4 year old DD today what she was getting me for Christmas, and she replied 'wrinkle cream!'

I'm 28!!

samb
14-12-2013, 09:54 PM

* visit friends who have Nespresso machine...swear them to secrecy...." Lovely coffee" says DH ...." New coffeee machine etc.. " say friends....." We love Nespresso pods!"....

* buy beans on next shopping trip...DH has to grind before making filter coffee.
* watch all adverts with George Cloony ( for me ..not him!! ...keeps the enthusiasm on track)

Final tacktic: casually browse Nespresso dept in John Lewis ( DH fav shop) ....casually enter in discussion with Nespresso salesman ( with knowledge that DH is always a sucker for sales! ) with knowledge that they have special offer....

Taste .....DH fav style of coffee ..... Take an important phone call....tell DH I will meet him outside shop in 5 .....

DH meets me 15 mins later ...walking towards me from direction of car park....get home ....DH volunteers to bring in shopping from car..later that day .... Suddenly finds reason to visit loft....

Will let you know on the 25th ....but I am hoping that my strategic planning pays off and I will be drinking breakfast coffee from a red Nespresso coffee machine on Christmas morning!!!

Watch this space!

Wow! That's quite some tactics! I really hope you get your hearts desire after all that lol!

hectors house
14-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Dumb husband bought both my presents (have My birthday over xmas too) on our joint amazon account so I can see what they are!!

A wobble board for practising balance for my skiing and a dictaphone for my memoirs. Both asked for and will be much used and enjoyed.
Recreation is the name of the game for me this year with all the stress around our Cming future.

My big present is to myself to celebrate my 60th - taking hubby sking in Austria on jan 4!!

Hope you enjoy your birthday and your ski-ing trip - I went ski-ing for first time for my 40th birthday - my family put photos up all over the hotel and complete strangers wished me Happy Birthday on the slopes all day. We went ski-ing last year on 6th January and it was fantastic, so quiet, no queues for ski lifts. My birthday is 30th Dec - when is yours? I hate having a birthday so close to Xmas! We are going to Thailand to celebrate my 50th year next year but not away for my birthday this time.

I know my husband has got me a fantastic pen and ink drawing from a local artist (I chose it at craft market a few weekends ago) and my daughter today told me on the phone that she couldn't find the damson liquer I asked for so had bought me something similar! So much for a surprise, I know I put it on my list but didn't know anyone was getting it for me (or not getting it). I asked for a bottle last year after tasting it at same craft market that my husband bought my picture from but my mum bought me a bottle of raspberry wine! (not the same thing at all)!

jadavi
14-12-2013, 11:09 PM
Mine is on the 23rd

I love it being so close to Xmas as everyone is always happy and at home for Xmas and its really a big deal. I am a total baby about my birthday and am princess for a day and I demand total pamperdom!

smurfette
15-12-2013, 12:09 AM
I am getting the. Babyliss perfect curl .. Seen it on tv and lusted after it but horrendous price .. Dh ordered it from Argos and saw the reservation email yay!

line6
15-12-2013, 07:01 AM
On a photography holiday in May I fell in love with a Nespresso coffee machine. ..... Ready steady go... Action plan - Nespresso for Christmas... * visit Selfridges Nespresso - free coffee, listen to sales pitch... DH thinks price of pods extortionate... * visit friends who have Nespresso machine...swear them to secrecy...." Lovely coffee" says DH ...." New coffeee machine etc.. " say friends....." We love Nespresso pods!".... * point out offers on internet for reduce price pods.... * buy beans on next shopping trip...DH has to grind before making filter coffee. * make full jug of coffee every time....discuss wastage.. * watch all adverts with George Cloony ( for me ..not him!! ...keeps the enthusiasm on track) Somebody loves me....super duper current coffee maker starts to leek!!!! * revisit friends with Nespresso maker... Final tacktic: casually browse Nespresso dept in John Lewis ( DH fav shop) ....casually enter in discussion with Nespresso salesman ( with knowledge that DH is always a sucker for sales! ) with knowledge that they have special offer.... Taste .....DH fav style of coffee ..... Take an important phone call....tell DH I will meet him outside shop in 5 ..... DH meets me 15 mins later ...walking towards me from direction of car park....get home ....DH volunteers to bring in shopping from car..later that day .... Suddenly finds reason to visit loft.... Will let you know on the 25th ....but I am hoping that my strategic planning pays off and I will be drinking breakfast coffee from a red Nespresso coffee machine on Christmas morning!!! Watch this space!

Brilliant!!

singingcactus
15-12-2013, 11:06 AM
I know what I'm getting :) A dia de muertos kitty hoodie :) I ordered it myself. Also getting the expansion packs for my games. Looking forward to a day of gaming in my new hoodie.

Hubby struggles to buy presents so it's easier for me to do it. He couldn't even decide what he wanted for himself this year lol. He has dr martens, a hell rider hoodie and some new headphones (so his film watching doesn't interfere with me and my kids gaming this year lol).

We don't do big expensive stuff, just little stuff that gets us all playing together. Me and the teens, and now the youngest all meet up on the server, whilst hubby does his thing with his kindle and his films. He does join us on the server when we need the extra muscle of his paladin, or the healing power of his priest, but he prefers the sofa and the movies.

Our main thing this year though, is a day out next Saturday with friends. One of them owns a lazer labrynth so our gaming group is meeting up to shoot each other haha. Cannot wait, a whole day of battle.

SJ35
15-12-2013, 06:22 PM
No I don't know what I'm having. We are going away for two nights in Jan so have said we are not getting each other much at Christmas.
X

jitterbug
15-12-2013, 07:31 PM
I have asked for vouchers, how boring!!!!!! I'm in desperate need of new clothes and fiancé has 'odd' taste sometimes.

As I'm still setting up my original request was for ikea vouchers so I could fill the house with lovely childminding resources but I was told a firm no!!!!! ;-) I think he's going to find it difficult coming to terms with the house being taken over...

Tulip
15-12-2013, 10:00 PM

Well I hope you are going to look surprised :) Enjoy!

FloraDora
27-12-2013, 05:46 PM

Watch this space!

Worked!! Two days into new ownership of a shiny red Nespresso coffee maker and husband is loving the coffee too - though he is still quoting how much each cup is costing!

PixiePetal
27-12-2013, 06:19 PM
:clapping::clapping::clapping: came on to look for update!

Well done, bet he thinks it was his idea! :laughing:

Enjoy your coffee

bunyip
27-12-2013, 07:52 PM
On the Twelfth Day of Christmas, my True Love, so-called "friends" and relations gave to me:-

12 gift vouchers for shops I don’t shop in

11 bottle of cheap spirits that I don’t drink

10 jumpers I wouldn’t be seen dead in

9 other items of clothing that don’t fit

8 bottles of aftershave that smell bad enough to make the dog sick

7 things that need batteries – without the batteries

6 books I’ve already read

...................5 pointless things...................................

4 cassette tapes to play on my CD player

3 pairs of driving gloves

2 totally cr4p presents without the receipt for exchange

…and a Woolworths gift voucher in a dead pear tree

:p

PS. Easter's better - you just get chocolate. :D

k-tots
27-12-2013, 09:49 PM
Got pjs....first time dh has bought me some for Christmas. ...a Christmas jumper and a lion soft toy with an iou....to go see lion king and an overnight stay in london....with a further iou (cause he wants to see it too) possible tickets for the phantom of the Opera. .hopefully see them both on the same weekend :-D on happy little wifey

k-tots
27-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Worked!! Two days into new ownership of a shiny red Nespresso coffee maker and husband is loving the coffee too - though he is still quoting how much each cup is costing!

Yea x well done all them hints worked

caz3007
27-12-2013, 10:34 PM
I was gobsmacked by my hubby. I had seen this guardian angel bag on a weekend break to Hastings and despite me saying 3 times that I liked it, he didn't offer to buy it for me at the time, but somehow he managed to buy it and hide it until Christmas, probably explains why he disappeared for ages. The guy in the shop apparently said that he knew hubby would be back...lol

amanda1309
28-12-2013, 11:25 AM
For the first time in 16 years dh did his own Xmas shopping. I was one very spoilt wife I got a kitchen aid, ugg boots and ugg flip flops.
I know that that's my surprise Xmas presents done for the next 16 years but I really appreciate toga the did it this year.