PDA

View Full Version : What type of bricks to buy for 3 and 4 year old boys?

trickiedickie
13-12-2013, 09:51 AM
I have looked at lego building bricks on ebay for £13 for 45 bricks. Would anyone recommend them? What has everyone else bought and what would you recommend.

My 8 year old daughter also loves building with bricks can anyone recommend some for her? Though think she will enjoy playing with whatever I buy for the boys.

Just looking for recommendations really. I have bought most of the presents in for my own children but wanted to buy them some bricks which I know they will happily share with my one mindee at the moment. Thanks.

tulip0803
13-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Most of the small brick lego says from age 5+ although it does depend on the children in my experience.

My daughter age 10 is not impressed with the lego friends range as a lot is moulded so she can't do what she wants with it. She has played non-stop with a lego brick box that she got for her birthday in November. It's traditional type bricks. They do blue and pink boxes:rolleyes: in different sizes.

munch149
13-12-2013, 10:05 AM
If you have little ones about I'm not sure Lego (small not duplo) would be a good idea. I tried this once when I have an 8 year old and there was nowhere he could play safely with it without little ones that I could still keep an eye on him. Plus it only takes one brick not to be picked up/missed and it could be straight in a Los mouth and there choking. Is there anything that's similar but bigger?

AliceK
13-12-2013, 12:41 PM
All of the children here from 4yrs up to 9yrs love Lego. We have a huge box as my DS has collected it over the years. They usually have to sit at the kitchen table to play with it though as I worry about bits being left around and my 1yr old mindee finding it.
I would think 3 and 4 yr olds would be fine with it but just be careful if you have any younger ones.
We also have a huge box with Duplo bricks and they all play with them as well, even the 6 / 7yr olds will happily sit and build castles etc with them. Plus they are safe for all ages.

xxxx

smurfette
13-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Would agree with above, my girls have a box of Lego and I don't allow it downstairs when mindees here, there are often tiny light like pieces etc in . I would think Lego for uour 8 year old but not to be played with if / when you have under fives, and maybe Megablocks or Lego duplo for the 3 and 4 year old..my 8 year old loves to build with the Megablocks too so uour daughter may enjoy it!

trickiedickie
13-12-2013, 11:56 PM
/thanks I will have a look at duplo (think I already have megablocks which they play with but might buy more). I'll get my daughters some proper lego for upstairs. thank you.

Ali56
14-12-2013, 10:42 PM
I love duplo and the smaller lego bricks for my mindees. We have loads! But £13 for 45 bricks seems a lot to me for second hand? I'd rather buy new at that price!!