PDA

View Full Version : Calpol

natalieatk
12-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Jays everyone's policy on calpol?? Two friends recently inspected..one Ofsted lady said that we aren't permitted to give calpol to any child unless it's perscribed.
Other Ofsted said it's fine!
My policy is give when parents ask..high fever etc and they sign a form !

hectors house
12-12-2013, 05:26 PM
My policy is same as yours - parents sign in morning to say when child had last dose and when they can have next one (if needed), I really try not to give it but then I think of all the times I "pop" a pill when I'm not feeling on top form and wouldn't wish that on little ones. If Ofsted are going to carry on being stupid, people will just give Calpol without filling in medicine permission forms and that will be dangerous!

natalieatk
14-12-2013, 08:35 AM
I agree I think that much needed dose of calpol if a child has a fever of 38 can stop that child from going in to a fit..think Ofsted need to have a meeting if none of them know what to tell us. Iv gave it when a child is ill before and also a dose of my own supply as a child temp was 39. Mum worked 45 mins away! I didn't fancy a fitting child on my hands for the sake of a spoonful !

dawn100
14-12-2013, 10:48 AM
By prescribed doesn't mean prescription, so a pharmacist can prescribe/recommend so I say I will only give medicine that has been recommended/prescribed by a pharmacist, doctor or dentist but I don't really like to give calpol as I think a child who needs calpol should be at home with mum, if children have a fever I won't accept them. I think I have only once ever given calpol but have given antibiotics and other prescription medicine.

yummyripples
14-12-2013, 11:16 AM
I have a signed form saying I can give calpol if needed. I always text the parents before I do it so they know and have a record of when it was given.
My policy is that I won't give calpol if I know that the child has been given it continuously for 3 days unless it is on prescription or a dr/pharmacist gives consent by letter.
I have had a big to do about this because I felt that a lo I cared for was becoming dependent on calpol as the parents gave it 'in case' or kept lo 'topped up'
When lo was with me there didn't seem to be any medical reason to give calpol only the fact that lo was grizzly. I was convinced that they were having withdrawal symptoms. I could be completely wrong but if they are that poorly that they need constant calpol then they should be at home.