PDA

View Full Version : confidentiality...sharing info between parents

emimihkos
12-12-2013, 10:30 AM
hello
I need advice and your opinions please...
Mindee1 is 26mths old and his speech is delayed...he is using few words only...mostly just shouts "baa!naa!" etc and points. his first language is Polish but I am Polish myself ,I use both languages and he won't speak much anyway. Done assessment...gave his Parents Speech and Language Therapist details...and they said nothing...that his dad was late talker as well etc.:-\
Mindee2 is 22mths old,English, uses more than 100words and his parents are starting to ask me about their communication with eachother...sometimes says sth to Mindee1 asking him "Can you say ...?"...obviously he never repeats or answer.
My question is, can I tell other Parents that mindee2 cannot speak yet?

hectors house
12-12-2013, 11:09 AM
I think I would be vague and maybe say child can communicate with you and parents in Polish (even if he can't) but children who are brought up in dual language environments sometimes take a little longer to start speaking - suggest that they and their son learn Polish! Their child does seem quite advanced in his language so maybe praise that with them rather than make comparisons - I have got a very nearly 2 year old who attempts words but mostly only his mum can understand him, so don't think that speech therapists will be too bothered about your 26 month old yet.

Mouse
12-12-2013, 11:16 AM
I wouldn't say anything. It sounds as if the second parents have already figured out that mindee doesn't speak, so are 'testing' him. The questioning about their communication also seems to suggest they are maybe looking for proof that their child is a better speaker than the other. Some parents just like to look for evidence that their child is more advanced than another.

If they ask you about communication between the 2 children, I would comment on their general interaction, not specifically their spoken conversation. Eg. he initiates conversation, he interacts well, he is responsive to what the other child is 'saying' ('saying' doesn't need to be spoken, it can me gestures etc), he follows the other child's lead, they play so nicely alongside one another'

loocyloo
12-12-2013, 02:33 PM
i had a late talker and if anyone commented I used to say that he was a fantastic communicator and was learning to use words as well.

that usually baffled them enough to stop any questions! :D

emimihkos
12-12-2013, 07:09 PM
thank you all for your replies :-)