PDA

View Full Version : play fighting with parents

yummyripples
12-12-2013, 10:00 AM
I hate it. Is it my imagination or does anyone else find that children whose parents play fight or rough the children up are rough with the other children?
I had a delicate little girl jump on me this morning and shout play fight.
I have also had problems with a ten month old baby boy who was encouraged to play fight with his dad and 4yr old brother.
When I spoke to the mum because he was hurting the other children she just shrugged and said that's the way we play at home

SYLVIA
12-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Yes Iv had problems with this here too. The 2yr old I have here was like it when he first came. I discussed it with parents and said that I couldn't have it happening here so if it didn't stop then I couldn't have him. It did stop. I now have a new one yr old and along with biting that we are working hard to stop, he will go up to the others and ry pushing them over in order to rough play. I understand parents like to rough and tumble and play, but sometimes it gets out of hand as little ones don't understand

freckleonear
12-12-2013, 11:18 AM
I think it's really important for development, especially with boys or high energy children. Research suggests that it helps to develop the brain's prefrontal cortex, reduces aggression and increases social skills. When my son has been through difficult phases, rough-and-tumble play has really helped us to connect. It does need to be done with clear boundaries and limits though.

Mouse
12-12-2013, 11:47 AM
When one of my sons was about 3 he used to ask me to wrestle! I'd be sitting nice & quietly after a busy day and he'd come up to me saying "mum, can we wrestle now?". I always won and had him pinned down in record time :clapping: It didn't ever cause any problems and he didn't try it on anyone else... and he usually always asked me first :thumbsup: My teenage boys have even been known to play fight with me at times. Not in a horrible way, but in the way you see lion cubs attacking their mum in play! I've had to tell them to stop now because my old body's not up to it :laughing:

But I have a 2yr old mindee now who I do have a problem with. He has 2 older siblings (14 & 16) who have always been very rough with him. This mindee is in turn very rough with the other children here. He bites, pushes, shoves, pinches, snatches toys and slams the others into walls, doors etc. He is really quite sly & nasty with it and I think it's very sad that such a young child can be so mean at times. I have spoken to parents about it, but they're quite proud of their boy being a "real boy" :panic:

JCrakers
12-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Both my kids used to love rough and tumble with Dad (not me though as I'm not as much fun as Dad..lol) Hubbie used to rugby tackle them and they used to jump on his back and it ended in play fighting and a tickle. They used to love it.

My dd (11) still likes it every now and again but ds (14) has grown out of it and doesn't like to be even touched anymore :laughing:

I don't see any harm in it if its approached properly. I don't like to see proper punching and hitting as its not teaching proper behaviour.

scottishlass
12-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Both my girls love a good play fight - usually with their dad - I am too boring too lol! They have always been told not to do it with anyone else including each other as now they are 11 and 7 my 11 year old is twice the size! Xx

SYLVIA
12-12-2013, 02:49 PM
When one of my sons was about 3 he used to ask me to wrestle! I'd be sitting nice & quietly after a busy day and he'd come up to me saying "mum, can we wrestle now?". I always won and had him pinned down in record time :clapping: It didn't ever cause any problems and he didn't try it on anyone else... and he usually always asked me first :thumbsup: My teenage boys have even been known to play fight with me at times. Not in a horrible way, but in the way you see lion cubs attacking their mum in play! I've had to tell them to stop now because my old body's not up to it :laughing:

But I have a 2yr old mindee now who I do have a problem with. He has 2 older siblings (14 & 16) who have always been very rough with him. This mindee is in turn very rough with the other children here. He bites, pushes, shoves, pinches, snatches toys and slams the others into walls, doors etc. He is really quite sly & nasty with it and I think it's very sad that such a young child can be so mean at times. I have spoken to parents about it, but they're quite proud of their boy being a "real boy" :panic:
This seems to be the attitude here too. The LO's are loud and shouting the whole time, they run everywhere, think nothing of climbing on furniture and the parents seem proud that their child is labelled ' the worse child ever". It is really sad because when I spend time and put effort into them they are not they same children. I told one dad at collection time that his little boy had stood to the side to let another child in the car first, he told him to man up. He is 3 years old! Another time a boy who had been pushed at soft play, and we dealt with it properly at the time, told his mum and she said "Well I hope you pushed him back, harder". Sometimes I just want to give up!!