PDA

View Full Version : Rising fives/wrap around care? Advice please

clairer
12-12-2013, 09:39 AM
I took on two rising fives in September and I wonder if I am doing enough work in their learning journals. They have scrapbooks with photos of all activities, drawings and also have contact books of any issues, food they eat etc. My feeling is that they are only with me a short amount of time, one three hors per week and the other eleven hours a week, so I am limited to how much I can achieve in this time. The majority of the time is taken up travelling to and from school and eating tea (eg pick up 3.15pm, home at 4pm, Dinner on table at 4.30pm, Finish dinner by 5.15pm, mum collects 5.30pm!)

So far I have not done any observations and assessments for them although I may do a general six monthly one, under the areas of learning. I was under the impression once the care is wrap around the school takes over with the EYFS and child minders just play a supporting role?

With a previous rising five I had a meeting with the teacher in order to discuss how I could support the child's learning within the childcare environment. I seem to remember reading a leaflet on wrap around care and this was suggested.

I have only been minding two years, could I have your views about whether I am doing enough for this age group please?

Kiddleywinks
12-12-2013, 06:27 PM
I also do a 'scrapbook' for my schoolies, with photo's of things they've done (crafty stuff mostly) as they generally want to take it home and rarely leave anything here, and that's pretty much it by the time they've eaten, so I don't do anything else.
They're old enough to tell parents what they've eaten, been up to etc, so do a verbal handover but not a written one, however, I too have only been CM'ing for 2 years, so will see what my imminent ofsted inspector says and will report back :rolleyes:

clairer
13-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Thanks that would be good I think I have the pre Ofsted jitters.