PDA

View Full Version : minding in child's own home

ziggy
12-12-2013, 08:36 AM
I am seeing a parent today with regard to minding 2 children in their home.

Not sure it is really what i want but going to have chat today.

Just wondered how it will work with contract as MM ones wouldnt really be appropriate. Also wondering if insurance covers for this sort of care

has anyone else dont this?

Simona
12-12-2013, 09:47 AM

Just wondered how it will work with contract as MM ones wouldnt really be appropriate. Also wondering if insurance covers for this sort of care

I would suggest you call your insurance company and discuss this with them first then you will be ready to reflect on the situation.
PLI does cover you for work outside your home but I am not sure you would be covered if you minded the whole time from their home
Also clarify whether you are taking other children with you to the house

I did ask my insurance company this very question and I am now clear...so get it sorted before you meet the parent and have your chat.

moggy
12-12-2013, 01:20 PM
That is being a nanny, not a CM. They would need to employ you/pay NI etc unless you work with other families as well. If they are your only client and you are not actively seeking more clients HMRC will be concerned.

hectors house
12-12-2013, 06:37 PM
When I was a tutor on the Introducing Childminding Practice course about 6 years ago - the course was actually called "Homebased Childminding", and was introduced so that childminders could childmind in the child's own home - I guess since then Ofsted have encouraged Nanny's to be registered with them so that parents can use tax credits or childcare vouchers, so not sure where you would stand now - I know you aren't registered with Ofsted, so would advise you to speak to your Social Services team. God I wish we could go back to having an "Under 8's worker" at Social Services - life was so much easier back then!:D

carol cameron
13-12-2013, 08:18 AM
God I wish we could go back to having an "Under 8's worker" at Social Services - life was so much easier back then!

Hear hear ! totally agree with you there.:)

bindy
13-12-2013, 09:25 AM

You would be classed as a nanny but if you looked after other children in their home you would still be a childminder

ziggy
13-12-2013, 09:27 AM
When I was a tutor on the Introducing Childminding Practice course about 6 years ago - the course was actually called "Homebased Childminding", and was introduced so that childminders could childmind in the child's own home - I guess since then Ofsted have encouraged Nanny's to be registered with them so that parents can use tax credits or childcare vouchers, so not sure where you would stand now - I know you aren't registered with Ofsted, so would advise you to speak to your Social Services team. God I wish we could go back to having an "Under 8's worker" at Social Services - life was so much easier back then!:D

spoke to social services and for the parent to claim tax credits i would have to be a 'home carer', not sure i want to go down that road but will think about it

Ripeberry
13-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Silly question but WHY? Do they want you to mind from their home?

ziggy
13-12-2013, 03:01 PM
mummy has condition which affects her motobility, so she works from home. Also she needs help with daily childcare. Two of my friends also help her as she is single parent