PDA

View Full Version : Cough

charlottenash
11-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Had a little one with a barking cough today, was awful my OH was shocked.

I mentioned to mum on pick up that it's so bad it was hurting him to cough, and he was coughing until gagging (this was near the end of session so by time I would ring she would be here anyway). I suggested he see a doctor.

She ended with 'ok see you tomorrow'.

I am due to pick him up at nursery 11.30am which I am happy to do, BUT I feel if I was to call and say he isn't well enough she wouldn't come and get him.

I'm already feeling unwell so I'm guessing I've caught it but I don't care, just don't want DS getting it! Luckily no other mindees until Monday.

sarah707
11-12-2013, 08:58 PM
I would expect parents to make a doctors appointment as quickly as possible if the child is coughing until nearly sick :(

Hopefully nursery will ring parent to collect child tomorrow and recommend doctor as well. Hugs xx

Koala
11-12-2013, 09:00 PM
I would expect parents to make a doctors appointment as quickly as possible if the child is coughing until nearly sick :(

Hopefully nursery will ring parent to collect child tomorrow and recommend doctor as well. Hugs xx

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

charlottenash
11-12-2013, 10:25 PM
That is exactly what I'm hoping happens, mum said she's had it for a week and so has little one. Just felt so sorry for him coughing like that he looked quite scared.

bunnyjess
11-12-2013, 10:59 PM
I've had the same sort of problem. A LO I have has had a cough for a couple of weeks but when I picked him up on Monday from playgroup it was very bad and sounded like croup. I told mum this and she just said she'll give him a hot shower?
He seemed better today but then went very faint and hot later in day so I took his temp and he had a fever. Brother was picking up so I txt dad to tell him and all he said was thanks?! I really think they need to take him to a doctor. I've got a cough as well now. Grrr

charlottenash
11-12-2013, 11:08 PM
That's what gets me Jess is they can pass it about all they want (annoying being ill again and not fair on my DS or OH) but when it's this bad it must be seen by a doctor. I feel so bad for him and being a nurse herself, I thought she would get that but they seem to be the worst offenders!

bunnyjess
12-12-2013, 01:46 AM
Yea it's just not on is it. I just don't know what to say to them now. I would've thought they would get them checked ASAP seeing as it's so close to Christmas too

KatieFS
12-12-2013, 02:08 PM
So did you collect from nursery!?

Cough sounds horrible. Def suggest they see doc. I had similar scenario with poorly lo. Mum is doc so felt bit odd me suggesting their child needs to see a doctor. Long story by from now on I will be telling them straight your child is ill and needs to see doc.

charlottenash
12-12-2013, 06:20 PM
I collected, nursery said they would've sent home but he was doing a dress rehearsal nativity.

Rang mum and she collected within an hour, I said I wanted him gone before my DS was here. Felt so sorry for him!

KatieFS
13-12-2013, 11:39 AM
There are lots of nasty respiratory infections. Worth getting it checked with doctor.

hectors house
13-12-2013, 07:40 PM
A nearly one year old I look after was given an inhaler last week for his cough and speaking to another childminder today she said she had 2 little ones who had been given inhalers for viral cough - is this the latest way to fob parents off from demanding antibiotics?

Koala
13-12-2013, 08:19 PM
A nearly one year old I look after was given an inhaler last week for his cough and speaking to another childminder today she said she had 2 little ones who had been given inhalers for viral cough - is this the latest way to fob parents off from demanding antibiotics?

Yes I beleive it is - in the past 2 - 3 years I have noticed a vast increase in inhalers being prescribed - it's not good and I think the fall out will be tremendous in years to come. I have 12 children on my books at the moment 3 have had inhalers prescribed and earlier in the year another 3 had them (they have moved on to school now) unbelievable and concerning how they are given out so readily.

WibbleWobble
13-12-2013, 08:52 PM
I have had one on a salbutamol inhaler for a cough last week and I know beachy had one too...

First ones for both of us!

Wibble xx

MessybutHappy
13-12-2013, 09:05 PM
I've got one to! Makes you wonder if there's been some new guidance or something!

skatie
13-12-2013, 09:25 PM
4 children in my setting have had this same croup type cough over the last two weeks and LOADS of kids have had it at ds school. My own ds had it and one night got himself in such a panic as he felt like he couldn't breathe properly. It's a nasty virus.

beachgirl29
14-12-2013, 07:27 AM
Yes two of mine have coughs and one was given an inhaler and other antibiotics (this is the 2nd time she's had them for a cough/chest infection!)
I hate coughs and its been not helping with sleeps as one couldn't get to sleep because of coughing so much so very unhappy by 6pm when mum came.

:(