PDA

View Full Version : Not wanting to go to nursery

Karen1
11-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Hi

I have a four year old started last week, so on day four.

Tuesday 9-2
We'd 9-12.30 and drop at nursery.

Basically he wants to do nothing all the time and really struggle to get him to interact. Takes him hour to eat lunch with me persuading him all the time and then just eats top bits of Sandwich and bite of what he has. So slow.

Anyway, last week he got mad at having to get shoes on and go to nursery, cried all way there and crying when I left.

Today, point blank refusal to even get shoes coat on. Managed to get them on, with a lot of persuasion. Then he sat in middle of floor and wouldn't budge. Now I have to get to nursery and back cos other child starts at 1 (now asleep), it took me thirty minutes to get him out of the door. In car cried all way to nursery. Spoke to his key worker who said mum struggles too to get him here and he won't do anything here either!

This is only until July when he goes to school. But today felt like it was hard, if I had another child in the morning, which I was planning on taking on, I would never get out the door on time.

I have left mum a polite note in the bag to explain that he refused to go and got upset.

As soon as I mentioned this morning about going to nursery he said No. He won't give a reason either for y he doesn't like it.

Any tips, do you think he will get better. Thought this would be an easy one to fill space until July when full timer starts, but not so sure now.

K

Koala
11-12-2013, 02:08 PM
I would get my Mrs NO-Nonsense head on. Don't barter, Don't cajole give straight forward instructions if he doesn't follow them in a reasonable time just put his shoes and coat on and march him out the door. Start as you mean to go on, he has got away with it for so long, he is bound to try it on with you and will get away with it - IF YOU LET HIM!

I must sound like a real witch but I have seen it all before with many children even babies, parents unable to change nappies because they won't stay still!! :panic: TAKE CONTROL

shortstuff
11-12-2013, 02:30 PM
im afraid i would be similar to Koala although i would put him in my car with no coat and shoes on and put them on when we got there.

It might be worth getting mum to probe as to why LO doesnt like nursery. There might be a very random reason. I have a lo who comes here who hated his preschool. It turned out it was because he is a quiet individual all of the staff pretty much ignored him so he felt even more left out.

k1rstie
11-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Like koala , you have to be the boss. In the past, when he says no to preschool, would his mum not take him? Unless there really is a reason why he does not like it, you must take him. Our preschool is next to a play park, I know which one i would rather be in at 4 years old, especially as at 4, he is likely to be more structured than when he went at 3.

Karen1
11-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Hi

Thanks for all the replies.

I know I have to be firm and will be. As it was his fourth day with me didn't want to scare him lol. But will be firm, I haven't got the time t be messing around with him not wanting to go, especially if I have another one with me.

Dad drops in morning and mum is at work and she collects later from nursery. So she can't do it as at work.

As still new to childminding (but not childcare) still unsure on how firm I can be with him. But won't be messing next week. Will just march him out. Have left mum feedback in his bag about his reaction to nursery and will also speak to her on pick up next Tuesday about it.

Thanks again.