PDA

View Full Version : Rubbish!

kellyskidz!
11-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Helpppp. Having a dilemma with the sheer volume of rubbish that seems to never end!
The black bin is always full, the recycling box is constantly overflowing and I'm getting overwhelmed! I used to work 5 days a week in a nursery and our bin was only ever half full as none of us were in but now its like a tidal wave of paper, bits of left over activity waste, food, snack wrappers, bottles of milk and all inbetween! I want to cry, our bins don't get collected for another 2 days and its already jam packed with 2 bin bags at the side
My neighbours must hate us as I always have at least 3 extra bin liners full next to the bin. It's not enough a two weekly collection! It's like I have 5 children and 2 adults and using the same bin as a family of 2, its too much.
I rang the council today and they said while foster carers get a free extra bin, childminders have to pay £7 per month which I don't really want to pay but I fear I may have to
So my question is, have any of you paid for an extra bin and has it been worth the money?x

Koala
11-12-2013, 10:36 AM
I'd just buy another bin and put that out too. I do and they empty it. I wouldn't pay £7 per month though, I know it doesn't sound a lot but that equates to £84 per year for maybe 28 collections - I am getting tight in my old age - £3.50 per collection, how much do you get paid per hour?

kellyskidz!
11-12-2013, 10:46 AM
I did that in the summer, I bought a smaller bin online and they took it away! When I rang the council. They said I couldn't do it as I had to pay for 2 collections but they would return my bin I had bought. I'm against paying for it as I pay a lot out in the way of playgroups etc and I can't ask parents to contribute really. It's be almost an hours wages for a bin collection! So annoying, they'd go mad if I just dumped it outside to attract rats or foxes but won't provide me with an extra one. Pay enough council tax to them:angry: Ahhhhh rant!x

Koala
11-12-2013, 10:52 AM
OMG that's dreadful. It sounds like £7 pm is your only option then. I can't think of anything else, unless you can fill up anyone elses bin? but with a fortnightly collection I think everyone will need their bin space.

bunnyjess
11-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Where I live we only get given black bin liners anyway. I keep mine in a big bin out the back and then just put them out on the morning of the collection. I live in the Cotswolds so I don't think they'll ever give us the big bins

hectors house
11-12-2013, 11:08 AM
The only thing to go in my wheelie bin which is emptied once a fortnight is nappies, dog poo (my husband hasn't got time to walk dogs to field in morning, so takes down the green and picks up poo), meat packaging that can't be recycled, yoghurt pots (that aren't recycled here) - everything else goes in the garden compost bin, food recycling bin or recycling box - we could probably last a month without the wheelie bin being emptied but the smell of a months nappies would be rank!

Do you have a recycling centre (in old days were called up the dump or skips), if so could you take up the overflow from your recycling box up there once a fortnight - make sure you squash down all your cardboard packaging and you can squash down milk containers too.

I have 5 out of my 7 mindees still in nappies and 3 adults living in my house. There was a useful thread on here a month or so ago about bins and recycling maybe you could get a few tips. I remember seeing on the local news about a family in Gloucester who only put one bin full of rubbish out each year - everything else is recycled and they make sure they don't buy products in bulky packaging that can't be recycled.

If in doubt get the kids to glue all the rubbish together and paint it - it's called junk modelling and then parents can put it in their bin!

bunnyjess
11-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Ohh where do u live hectors house? I'm from Stroud

hectors house
11-12-2013, 11:15 AM
I'm from Somerset, same place as Jenson Button - he came back week to switch on the Christmas lights and drove his FI car round a circuit in town and car park doing doughnuts it was fantastic - mind you cost the council 4K to take up the speed bumps in the carpark but it was worth it - although the FI bit was kept a secret, the town was absolutely packed - lovely start to the towns festive season.

bunnyjess
11-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Ah wow that sounds amazing! I would of loved to see that

scottishlass
11-12-2013, 11:19 AM
We are once a fortnight too! We can't put out any extra bags as they won't take anything not in the wheelie bin and if the bin is slightly open even a tiny bit they sometimes refuse to empty it! Xx

kellyskidz!
11-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Rang council again she said only other alternative is to bag it up for the tip, which is a 30min drive away but were going to have to unless we want rats lol!
A full household of rubbish every two weeks is a joke though, food sitting there for 2 weeks is disgusting
I do like the junk modelling idea for things like cereal boxes etc, will deffo be doing that to free up some bin space!!xx

hectors house
11-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Rang council again she said only other alternative is to bag it up for the tip, which is a 30min drive away but were going to have to unless we want rats lol!
A full household of rubbish every two weeks is a joke though, food sitting there for 2 weeks is disgusting
I do like the junk modelling idea for things like cereal boxes etc, will deffo be doing that to free up some bin space!!xx

When we went to fortnightly collections our council introduced food recycling bins (which is pretty disgusting - in the summer we had maggots in the bin), we have a small food caddy in the kitchen and have to use biodegradable liners and then that goes into a bigger bin which we store in the garage. All our recycling bins - one for food, one for paper and glass, one for tins, cardboard, milk containers are all emptied every week - just the green wheelie bin that is collected once a fortnight. Not much goes in our food waste bin as we have a compost bin in garden, chickens (so I boil up veg peelings for them) and 2 dogs!

loocyloo
11-12-2013, 12:11 PM
i keep all the cardboard/plastic packaging, fillers from parcels, boxes, tubes, plastic bottles & lids, papers, pretty much anything and some we use for junk modelling etc and the rest i take to school !!! they are always grateful as a class of children can demolish a box of junk in minutes! ( one mum groans when she sees me as she knows it means her Ds will be coming home with most of it !!! )

i would ask if any teachers would like it! ... usually reception/yr one are the most 'in need' or failing that, a local preschool.

i also keep a plastic icecream tub for all the bits of left over craft paper/sticky bits etc and either the children use it for 'sticking' ( we do lots of random sticking activites ) or again, it goes into school for their ' junk modelling' areas!

as much waste as possible ( including paper/envelopes and stuff i would usually shred ) goes in the compost, and i am considering getting a compost bin that will take pretty much any food including meat.

we have recycling collections once a fortnight for cardboard/plastic/paper/tin/glass and the alternate week is normal rubbish.

our bin is usually full, but only just, and like someone else, the bin men won't take it if lid is not shut! ( although ... ;) we know one of the bin men and he will take extra from us!!! ;) )

tulip0803
11-12-2013, 03:44 PM
In our area we are limited to 4 black bags a fortnight - I normally have 2. We also have a fortnightly recycling collection where they take as many bags as you have and a food waste bin that is collected weekly. They invested in special bin lorries to enable food waste to be collected every week along with the recycling/black bag collections, it has 2 compartments.

I think paying the £7 a week will be cheaper than the drive to the tip and back each week:( not to mention the time. Our tip is a similar distance although there is a recycling area at the local school but I only use it for glass and clothing as the tins & paper they collect can go in the recycling bags.

Bluebell
11-12-2013, 04:22 PM
I don't seem to have that much extra rubish - food goes in brown bin and paper etc goes in recylcling which go in coloured sacks so no limit on that. Black bin does seem to be full and it is mainly nappies but I can just about cram it in for the 2 weekly collection.

One of the childminders I know puts all her nappies in a plastic bag and then dumps them in a bin on route to the school for collecting children. Seems very sensible to me as she usually has a massive bag full!

Lottie
11-12-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm from Somerset, same place as Jenson Button - he came back week to switch on the Christmas lights and drove his FI car round a circuit in town and car park doing doughnuts it was fantastic - mind you cost the council 4K to take up the speed bumps in the carpark but it was worth it - although the FI bit was kept a secret, the town was absolutely packed - lovely start to the towns festive season.

Oh WOW!! I would have LOVED to have seen this.

Tulip
11-12-2013, 10:18 PM
I like to recycle where possible. I use a compost bin for potato peelings etc, never a lot of food waste here but if there is dog happily helps out. :laughing: I take items to the recycling centre or supermarkets where they have collections. Could you pack the bin contents down a bit?

hectors house
12-12-2013, 08:48 AM
Oh WOW!! I would have LOVED to have seen this.

Here is link to Jenson Button turning on our lights and then driving FI car through town - we couldn't get round to watch him put on lights but had the best spot for watching him do the doughnut spins. Think he invalidated the warranty on his engine though doing this as it sounded really rough by the end!

BBC News - Jenson Button drives F1 car through Frome (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-25167148)

Rubybubbles
12-12-2013, 08:52 AM
£7 a month or week?

If its as bad as you say I would get one and put it through as a business expense!