PDA

View Full Version : how much would you charge?

ziggy
10-12-2013, 04:08 PM
I have been asked to mind children in their own home, mummy works from home as well

It is for 2 children. So thinking I would charge my normal hourly rate for 2 and then add £1 for travel (it's a 12mile journey)

Not sure if I will be expected to charge less as i'm not using my heating etc

Does anyone else do this?

munch149
10-12-2013, 04:10 PM
I have been asked to mind children in their own home, mummy works from home as well It is for 2 children. So thinking I would charge my normal hourly rate for 2 and then add £1 for travel (it's a 12mile journey) Not sure if I will be expected to charge less as i'm not using my heating etc Does anyone else do this?

This is a nanny - nannys charge between £7-£10 an hour

Lottie
10-12-2013, 04:16 PM
I would charge nanny rates.

hectors house
10-12-2013, 04:23 PM
Have heard from Nannys who share our childminding drop in groups that it is often really hard to care for children in own homes when parents work from home - can't you drive to collect these children and look after them at your house especially as if you are registered for 3 children you would be losing out or can't the parents just drive them to you.

You would need to find out how much Nannys charge in your area - I charge £3.75 an hour per child and know that Nannys here get about £10 an hour per family - I suppose that you wouldn't have all the expenses you now have for childminding and the parents would pay for toddler groups, meals etc.

AdeleMarie88
10-12-2013, 04:33 PM
This is a nanny - nannys charge between £7-£10 an hour

Not necessarily a nanny. A CM is someone who looks after children from more than 2 families, in a domestic property. It doesnt have to be their own property.
I have done this in the past, I charged less than average to accomodate parents extra electricty costs. Average for area was £5.65, I charged £5.
If you don't have other children in your care, and this would be your only family, then yes you are a nanny, and you should clarify this with Mom, and charge accordingly!

Hope that helps x

charlottenash
10-12-2013, 07:35 PM
By domestic does someone have to live there Adele?

AdeleMarie88
10-12-2013, 07:53 PM

That's a great question, I guess by logic yes, other wise how would you be able to differenciate from a creche or nursery?
I never asked that question though so cant give you a definite answer xx

charlottenash
10-12-2013, 07:55 PM
I'd love to know, because technically you could buy/rent a house, nobody lives there but childmind with say 3 assistants and make a lot of money!

AdeleMarie88
10-12-2013, 08:02 PM
I'd love to know, because technically you could buy/rent a house, nobody lives there but childmind with say 3 assistants and make a lot of money!

I know in my local area there is a co-op childminder, who has three assistants (the assistants are also the childrens moms)and they have loads of children. They move around each parents/assistants house every quarter, so each parent takes it in turn to "host". They are exceptionally popular, they have a massive waiting list!!

ziggy
10-12-2013, 08:16 PM
I would still mind from my own house but mind this family at there own house all day wednesday and possibly 2 evenings. So i guess i would charge slightly more for the evenings.

Need to think about this, write out questions before i see mummy

AdeleMarie88
10-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Ahh I see!!

For that weds and subsequent evenings, I would possibly charge more, a nanny rate. You have to consider the fact that you will possibly be restricted when taking on children, in case they wanted a weds. It has it's benefits though, as you would technically be a nanny on weds, you may not have to do any paperwork for those children!

munch149
10-12-2013, 09:12 PM

Yes I believe someone has to live on site . Either the childminder themselves or an assistant otherwise it becomes childcare on non domestic premises

hectors house
10-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Some nannys operate a "nanny share" where they look after children from more than one family at a time and may work in any of the parent's houses - some parents like this as it brings down the hourly rate as the rate is divided between the families.