PDA

View Full Version : Cough-poorly child

bunnyjess
09-12-2013, 02:15 PM
A 3 yr old I look after has had a cough for a couple of weeks and today when I picked him up from playgroup I noticed that it's got really bad. It sounds a bit like croupe?
He's also loosing his voice as well and he's really not himself. He's normally really hyper.

I want to tell dad that he really needs to go to a doctor but I don't know how to say it without sounding rude. Can anyone help please?

charlottenash
09-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Watching with interest this post!

Rickers83
09-12-2013, 02:34 PM
I think I'd say it how it is,
"I've noticed that x's cough has got quite bad, & he's lost his voice today too, might be worth a trip to the doctors as the cough sounds a little like croup"
its not rude to be concerned & maybe dad doesn't know what a croup cough sounds like 😊

sing-low
09-12-2013, 03:11 PM
When I suggest something to parents I always start with 'I wonder if… it would be a good idea for LO to see a doctor about this cough as it seems to me that it's getting worse and he really isn't himself' That way you leave the decision with the parent but have raised the issue. And I always take a deep breath before I say it in case they're offended/cross.

KatieFS
09-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Be honest..

X cough sounded nasty today, have you guys seen the doctor yet?

bunnyjess
09-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Thanks guys. I'm just a bit worried about offending them but it think he does really need to go to the docs

hectors house
09-12-2013, 05:39 PM
A croupy cough sounds like a dog barking, if mindee sounds like that and it is getting worse you should tell the parents that some children end up in hospital with it and it may be worth popping to doctor or drop in clinic as hospital (if you have one) to have chest checked over.