PDA

View Full Version : Literally cannot wait to give notice - any advice welcome!

cbshoat
09-12-2013, 01:03 PM
I have been childminding for almost a year now and my parents have all been nightmares! One didn't pay, argued about every bill and didnt collect child until 8pm one night! Another parent uses me as her personal skivvy even when not at work and children not booked in and wont discipline her children for fighting or even stealing from my house! My third set of parents have only been with me since October and have blatantly said their daughter has had an awful lot of bruises since being in my care, then revealed they smack her even though she's not even 2 yet, has changed hours on a weekly basis and tried to bully me into working christmas eve and boxing day! Today I have been blamed for daughter not wanting to sleep at night - how thats my fault I do not know! Anyway today I got a call offering me another job which I dont care if it bankrupts me with childcare costs of my own I am taking. I was going to wait until the paperwork for the new job came through but after yet another moan from mum today they will be getting notice this evening. Just wondered if anyone had advice on wording for termination letter? Also advice on who needs to be notified (Ofsted, HMRC etc etc).

hectors house
09-12-2013, 01:14 PM
You will need to give notice as per the terms of your contract, when does your new job start? You could just say that "Due to personal reasons I am giving up Childminding" give the date for the last day you are working. Do you know of any other childminders who have spaces?, that way you will be helping the parents (although it doesn't sound like they deserve it).

I would hold off contacting Ofsted to get your registration cancelled as you never know what may happen in the future, you may need to start childminding again (hopefully you would get some nice parents) and by leaving your registration in place you wouldn't have to do the whole course again. Not sure if you contact HRMC or whether you just complete a box on next years tax form saying that you have given up and the date you did so.

Good luck with giving notice - give them a written letter and be brave enough to tell them in person as you hand them the envelope, that way they can't say they lost the letter without reading it. And Good luck with your new job.

cbshoat
09-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Thank you. Some useful suggestions there, much appreciated

Goatgirl
09-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Hi :),
So sorry you have had such a dreadful time childminding :( :group hug:.
I would probably be the same and jump at the chance of a different job in your shoes :).
Don't think you need to let anyone know, but no harm in ringing them to check :thumbsup:

Good luck with the notice period and I really hope your new job goes better for you :clapping:

The Juggler
09-12-2013, 04:19 PM
I have been childminding for almost a year now and my parents have all been nightmares! One didn't pay, argued about every bill and didnt collect child until 8pm one night! Another parent uses me as her personal skivvy even when not at work and children not booked in and wont discipline her children for fighting or even stealing from my house! My third set of parents have only been with me since October and have blatantly said their daughter has had an awful lot of bruises since being in my care, then revealed they smack her even though she's not even 2 yet, has changed hours on a weekly basis and tried to bully me into working christmas eve and boxing day! Today I have been blamed for daughter not wanting to sleep at night - how thats my fault I do not know! Anyway today I got a call offering me another job which I dont care if it bankrupts me with childcare costs of my own I am taking. I was going to wait until the paperwork for the new job came through but after yet another moan from mum today they will be getting notice this evening. Just wondered if anyone had advice on wording for termination letter? Also advice on who needs to be notified (Ofsted, HMRC etc etc).

sorry to hear you've had an awful time hon. just say due to personal circumstances that you need to go back out to employed work, that you are sorry for any inconvenience. Give them the last working day, a final invoice and remind them to inform tax credits if it applies. Also maybe offer to help refer them to, or pass them a list of, other minders.

ps I agree with the above poster, inform them verbally first and then hadn them a letter.

Good luck in your new venture honey xx

Tulip
09-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Sorry to hear you have had a tough time of it, I guess you will feel like a huge weight has lifted off your shoulders.
Good luck with your new job x