PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

charlottenash
08-12-2013, 06:46 PM
You've probably guessed from my posts that I've had minor issues with one family. I have notice Friday because of 2 issues, one being such small hours and the other is that they don't know until day before if they want me, hence I can't plan anything at all.

So usually I receive a message at 2pm latest to say what hours they need tomorrow. Today no message so at 3.30pm when my sons talent agency called I said we can make an audition in London tomorrow at 6pm.

Roll on to 6pm I get a text saying they need me tomorrow 11.30-5.30.

I never have been texted this late before so I assume it was in response to me giving notice but this is not an issue.

I have responded saying I've made an appointment, he can come with me but we won't be back until 8pm earliest (this is late for my DS and unless it was for something special like this I wouldn't allow him out the house that late).

What would you have done?

rickysmiths
08-12-2013, 07:06 PM
It depends on what their contracted hours are. If you have always accepted late notice of being told what hours they want then I would say you are on thin ground.

I definitely wouldn't take a mined child into London until 8pm it is way after the finish time they want and it will be after work closing time and the buses and tubes will be mayhem because a lot of the shops are open until 7pm now and people are going out to parties and clubs etc from work or staying for a drink. Where are you travelling from? How long does it take. Could your partner or a relative or friend take your son down and you catch them up when lo has been collected?

This is from someone who is used to London and will go in at the drop of a hat with minded children as well.

charlottenash
08-12-2013, 07:12 PM
I have accepted 24 hours notice before, latest I've ever been told is 2pm. Their contracted hours are ad hoc, 10 hours a week so technically I could say no but I never have, I thought offering them a solution rather than saying no altogether was more reasonable considering how late notice they have given me.

I have travelled into London with mindees, that isn't an issue. We will be out of London by 6.45, I'm allowing for traffic issues within those times.

No family options so it's take him with me, or refuse them under terms of contract. I thought it would be nice to meet in the middle.

sing-low
08-12-2013, 07:39 PM
I would have said 'sorry, as I didn't hear from you, I have made an appointment and can't look after LO'. Do they text if they don't want you or only if they do? What I mean is, was it reasonable/expected that you would assume they didn't want you as you hadn't heard from them?

blue bear
08-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Have they come back to you after your offer?
I think you have been reasonable offering a solution as its an adhoc agreement and you didn't have to offer at all.

charlottenash
08-12-2013, 08:16 PM
They don't text if they don't need me, so if I don't hear from them I just assume I don't have him.

They have said yes, although by text you can never tell the real intentions of words. It sounded angry, but probably wasn't, it's a shame they don't like conversing by phone.

This child never goes to bed until 10-11 every night as it is an issue we have discussed so I don't think the lateness of 8pm is a problem for them.

I will of course make it a fun journey, and a learning experience! Won't all be busy busy rush rush!

Mouse
08-12-2013, 08:51 PM
To be honest, as you were unsure whether or not you were needed, when the call came about the audition I would have texted the parents and said "as I haven't heard from you I am assuming I won't be needed tomorrow. If I am needed I will only be available until X o'clock".

I wouldn't have offered to take mindee with me. Will parents pay for that time or will the only pay until the finish time they asked for?

charlottenash
09-12-2013, 06:54 AM
Mouse at 3.30 I was 100% certain I was not needed as per normal routine. I wouldn't text them, because they're the type to deliberately book me in and insist I can't go to London just to be awkward

charlottenash
09-12-2013, 06:55 AM
They will only pay until 5.30

Mouse
09-12-2013, 07:13 AM
Mouse at 3.30 I was 100% certain I was not needed as per normal routine. I wouldn't text them, because they're the type to deliberately book me in and insist I can't go to London just to be awkward

In that case I'd have wanted to say sorry, you are too late, I've already made other arrangements.

Wanting to say it and actually saying it are 2 different things though! If your solution helps keep the peace until the notice period is over, I guess it's the best thing to do.

charlottenash
09-12-2013, 07:15 AM
Yup keeping the peace all round lol it's awkward as it is so doing my best. Be great once it's over and in back to doing normal hours and knowing what Hours I'm doing!