PDA

View Full Version : Before i get started...

Sara Greatrex
08-12-2013, 12:26 PM
Hello all... I have been reading into becoming a registered child minder and would be interested to take it further, but, I have one problem. My husband works nights and doesn`t generally get up til about 5pm. Therefore, caring/looking after children in my own home isn`t an option or not at least til after 5pm. Would this be a major problem ?
Thanks in advance..

Rick
08-12-2013, 12:36 PM
I think you may struggle to get many parents who could fit into the hours you want as most require childcare when they are at work during the day.

Is there no way you can childmind when he is asleep? Children aren't always tearing about the place and you don't have to stay in all day. I'm out every morning and go out on a school run most afternoons. The children often sleep, eat and play quietly in the house, having worn themselves out at play group :D

Sara Greatrex
08-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Yes, I can childmind during the day, but that would mean being out the house, 5 days a week all day. Yes, I can/could occupy them and take them places, but I think it would be a long day if they needed a nap. Then there`s the school holidays... Hmm okay, I`m just thinking out loud now. If I thought about it rationally, I don`t think this is a profession I could do given my circumstances. Thanks for your help. It was worth a try....

amyp
08-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Maybe become a childminders assistant? Or a nanny?

Sara Greatrex
08-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Yes, that could be an option. I think I need to look into a bit more. Thanks

The Juggler
08-12-2013, 02:52 PM
that would be difficult as you couldn't even look after after school children that way. What about becomign an after school nanny or day time and after school nanny. Often you could take your own children with you so collect from the same school.

if you did work in the day but had to be out of the house, it could become very expensive paying for activities etc. Is your husband that light a sleeper. There are many forum members whose husbands works shifts but they still work during the day.

Sara Greatrex
08-12-2013, 03:44 PM
I don`t have children of school age, there grown up. Yes, im afraid he is a light sleeper and our lounge is above our bedroom. Our kitchen is also open plan. I think realistically, my only option is to do evening work. Im already CRB checked due to the nature of my work, is there other/any legal requirements I need/have to take before I start ?

FussyElmo
08-12-2013, 05:23 PM
I don`t have children of school age, there grown up. Yes, im afraid he is a light sleeper and our lounge is above our bedroom. Our kitchen is also open plan. I think realistically, my only option is to do evening work. Im already CRB checked due to the nature of my work, is there other/any legal requirements I need/have to take before I start ?

You would have to have another dbs done. You have to have first aid and have to do a childminding course before you even register with ofsted.

It is possible to childmind while your dh works nights. My dh work nights occasionally and we adapt he learns to sleep through the noise :-)

Sara Greatrex
08-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Okay. Thanks for all your help. It has been much appreciated. Finding/doing a Childcare course, will be my next step :D

Rick
08-12-2013, 06:44 PM
This thread should help you:

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/117176-registering-childminder.html

nikki thomson
08-12-2013, 07:41 PM
My hubby along with quite a few other childminders I know have hubby's that work nights, not a problem and I certainly don't go out, buy him a set of ear plugs, problem solved. X