PDA

View Full Version : car seats recommendation for 4 year old? Thanks.

trickiedickie
08-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Hi there, my first mindee starts on Tuesday. I'm not too anxious as know him very well (my sons friend and Mum is my friend). Anyhow at the moment I only have booster seats. I know I need to get a high backed booster seat. I've seen them very reasonably priced in Asda (about £20ish). Think I read the car seats should be BSI kite mark. Not sure if Asda's are.

Are these ok or do you think I should go for the more expensive make of high backed booster seat. My car is a Zafira if that makes a difference. Thanks.

Chatterbox Childcare
08-12-2013, 11:14 AM
I use the Graco Junior - about £35 in Asda and the backs come off when they are old enough to use just the booster seat but by that time you will need the seat for another :)

I went to Kiddicare and brought the 3 point harness within the high back seat for extra support for my 4 year olds. I think it depends on how tall they are as mine won't be in it for long and I can take the harness part out.

trickiedickie
08-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Thanks Chatterbox. I've got two seats at the moment that are high backed with inside seat belt as well. I need one for my son and will use the other one for mindee (it is is my husbands car so need to remember and transfer it). Just not sure if they are bsi thingmajiggy!. I've looked at asda website and some say conform to ec something or other and the cheaper seats don't. The Graco ones at $35 say that ec thing so will probably just buy one of them.
Thanks again.

k-tots
08-12-2013, 12:46 PM
All carseats from asda have to be upto the required standard otherwise they cant sell them

Tazmin68
08-12-2013, 12:52 PM
I replaced two car seats in August and got them from kiddicare they were around £30 each in a sale and very easy to remove the 5 point harness for older children and light weight. Plus you do get a one hour delivery time slot. and bought two booster seats at same time. Booster seats are still ok and legal. I have noticed that the price has gone up to £49.99Plus if you enter the code shop25 there is either 20 or 25% off. Deb

Bluebell
08-12-2013, 02:39 PM
I replaced two car seats in August and got them from kiddicare they were around £30 each in a sale and very easy to remove the 5 point harness for older children and light weight. Plus you do get a one hour delivery time slot. and bought two booster seats at same time. Booster seats are still ok and legal. I have noticed that the price has gone up to £49.99Plus if you enter the code shop25 there is either 20 or 25% off. Deb

I think this is the one I use too - I really recommend this seat as its so versatile. If I need to use it as a high back booster although its easy to remove 5 point harness bits I don't always if its for a one off journey - I just tuck them behind the arms and strap child in normally. It is quite often available at the sale price so might be worth waiting a couple of weeks and seeing if they have a sale after Christmas.

Kiddicare Traffic SP Group 1/2/3 Car Seat Black/Red | Kiddicare (http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplay0_10751_-1_147937_10001)

trickiedickie
08-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Thanks everyone. I had realised that we do have two highbacked chairs so that is all I need for now. I will need to look at how I take the 5 point harness out.

I realise the booster is legal but just want the wee boy to be as safe as can be. Also, my 5/6 year old daughter could do with being in a high backed seat rather than the booster.

Good idea about waiting for the sale, I can do that now I've realised I have two seats anyhow. We will need one for my husband's car.

Thanks again.

k-tots
09-12-2013, 07:12 AM
My dd6 is still in a highback booster....my ds 2 1/2 and dd 15m are both in five point harness.... my 11m mindee is still in a rear facing carry carseat and my 3y mindee is in a five point harness.....However when ever they are collected from nanny....baby goes in a fivepoint forwad facing carseat and the 3y on he booster......she is smaller than my ds...I have mentioned to mum that her 3y is too young and little for the booster but she says shes fine on it :-/