PDA

View Full Version : Aw man! Why is it

smurfette
05-12-2013, 11:16 PM
That whenever I get my nice little jigsaw of part timers and silly hours sorted into a nice little pattern someone leaves?! Why is it parents don't drop their bombshells all together?! things change so fast don't they?!

I work Fridays for just one little one (though I sometimes squeeze in an ad hoccer) about 6/7 Fridays in a ten week rosta as dad is a police man. This is the screamer I have had since march and it has taken Til now to settle her, I wanted to give her notice many times but mum is lovely and appreciative and baba is a pet when not crying! I only took on her silly hours because I had a little fella who did three days one week and five the next and it fitted ok, but then he left! I stuck with it though and now she is pretty good. Last week I got notice that my Monday boy is going back to France, so I thought I would see if baby F could do Mondays instead of Fridays so I could have every Friday off. They can only change some weeks but are willing to and will reduce my Fridays down to 3 out of 10 so slightly better. But now her mum has said she is pregnant and will finish work April! I am thrilled for them they are such a lovely family, but now it's a mess
Again! She would like to leave baby F with me one day a week when on maternity whichever day I can do, and then ideally for me to have both in December which I can't see being possible as it's only 5/6 days a month.

So now should I fill my Monday space (not really worth moving her day if it's only gonna effect 4/5 Fridays between now and April) or leave as is until April and then fill two days (she takes a Thursday space and I fill the weeks she isn't here ad hoc) I wouldn't mind but I spent my quiet hour while Los sleeping today advertising my ad hoc hours and really I should have been advertising a 1/2 day space if only I had known grr!!!!

Sorry helps to write it down hope u are still awake!

weedotes
06-12-2013, 12:16 AM
That whenever I get my nice little jigsaw of part timers and silly hours sorted into a nice little pattern someone leaves?! Why is it parents don't drop their bombshells all together?! things change so fast don't they?!

I work Fridays for just one little one (though I sometimes squeeze in an ad hoccer) about 6/7 Fridays in a ten week rosta as dad is a police man. This is the screamer I have had since march and it has taken Til now to settle her, I wanted to give her notice many times but mum is lovely and appreciative and baba is a pet when not crying! I only took on her silly hours because I had a little fella who did three days one week and five the next and it fitted ok, but then he left! I stuck with it though and now she is pretty good. Last week I got notice that my Monday boy is going back to France, so I thought I would see if baby F could do Mondays instead of Fridays so I could have every Friday off. They can only change some weeks but are willing to and will reduce my Fridays down to 3 out of 10 so slightly better. But now her mum has said she is pregnant and will finish work April! I am thrilled for them they are such a lovely family, but now it's a mess
Again! She would like to leave baby F with me one day a week when on maternity whichever day I can do, and then ideally for me to have both in December which I can't see being possible as it's only 5/6 days a month.

So now should I fill my Monday space (not really worth moving her day if it's only gonna effect 4/5 Fridays between now and April) or leave as is until April and then fill two days (she takes a Thursday space and I fill the weeks she isn't here ad hoc) I wouldn't mind but I spent my quiet hour while Los sleeping today advertising my ad hoc hours and really I should have been advertising a 1/2 day space if only I had known grr!!!!

Sorry helps to write it down hope u are still awake!

Sympathies , it's awful to lose someone you love and after all the work you ve put in but hard to run a business when the hours offered are so few . Good luck with it all .

clairer
06-12-2013, 10:16 AM
It is really really hard and constant juggle with part timers. I have never had anyone five days a week. It would be easier I think.

weedotes
06-12-2013, 04:56 PM
It is really really hard and constant juggle with part timers. I have never had anyone five days a week. It would be easier I think.

it really is a gift having full timers . When I started out I had my own two at school and 4 full timers from two families. I had them between about 8 and 5 .30 five days a week and think even when parents were off , but I did nt mind just treated them as my own and was totally relaxed balancing the week with activities outings and chill at home days . Parents, kids,social workers and my family all happy .
A few years later with part timers my head was turned , it was as Murf said like a jigsaw trying to fit everyone in . I d be out and rushing back for someone or sitting in waiting for someone . I d feel guilty if art work was up and I hadn't done it with all the children worry I wasn't being fair with outings for everyone and never fully at ease .
Now the economy has changed and part timers are the norm I just have to go with the flow , if an event is on I just have to go with who ever is here and if a child misses out there's nothing I can do .

smurfette
09-12-2013, 09:39 AM
it really is a gift having full timers . When I started out I had my own two at school and 4 full timers from two families. I had them between about 8 and 5 .30 five days a week and think even when parents were off , but I did nt mind just treated them as my own and was totally relaxed balancing the week with activities outings and chill at home days . Parents, kids,social workers and my family all happy . A few years later with part timers my head was turned , it was as Murf said like a jigsaw trying to fit everyone in . I d be out and rushing back for someone or sitting in waiting for someone . I d feel guilty if art work was up and I hadn't done it with all the children worry I wasn't being fair with outings for everyone and never fully at ease . Now the economy has changed and part timers are the norm I just have to go with the flow , if an event is on I just have to go with who ever is here and if a child misses out there's nothing I can do .

Yes that's exactly the problem! I ask parents to give me ten euros a month towards activities etc and near month end I worry that I have taken child to not enough activities that cost that! Still none the wiser as to what to do, have advertised ad hoc days see what I get, and have realised I will have Fridays off come April which is what I wanted so that's good!

smurfette
13-12-2013, 01:59 PM
How do uou fill your spaces when uou have different ones coming up?! Eg now I have a Monday space available plus some Thursday and some Fridays .. April I will have Mondays and Thursday. June I may have Monday tues wed and thurs as a Los dad is on a 6 months contract .. In past I have stressed over what will happen 6 months down line and also tried the other way to fill what I have now but it has back fired as I slot Los around each other and the space I have filled becomes a pain as the one I am slotting it around leaves iyswim?! ????!!!

KatieFS
13-12-2013, 02:19 PM
I would love to know the answer. Turned away business in August and then child left September. Now one of my current families are leaving April so have spaces again when I though I was full!