PDA

View Full Version : starting assesment

shmuck9681
05-12-2013, 10:04 PM
How long would you observe a child before doing your initial assessment on DM I have had a 2 yr 4mth old start 25/11 3 days per wk 4 hour sessions wk 1 come first 2 sessions 8 hours then didn't come 3rd due to illness, 2nd week didn't come 1st session illness and come 2nd session on 3rd session that week so 4th visit to me i had my inspection and was judged as requires improvement because i couldn't put him in a band, originally said to Mrs o: not to sure as i am still assessing his stage of development, but maybe 22-36 where she picked up on things i had said (mark making - just hammering away with the crayon, no interest in books etc) she then referred to DM and asked if i thought he was more 16-26 because of this which I replied yes, however in PD he is 22-36. i feel that i have been unfairly judged on this, as i explained had she asked me on one of the eyfs (reception age children that have attended since September i could have easily told of their ability) would you appeal?
sorry for the long winded post but needed to get it of my chest!!!
thx

sarah707
06-12-2013, 08:14 AM
Ofsted are looking for rapid initial assessments so that 'teaching' can start very quickly.

In training we have been advised to note starting points within the first few weeks of a child starting.

It's not an exact science - 'starting points' are very subjective - and it is important that parents are involved as they know what their child can do at home.

Having a 'requires improvement' grade is possibly not a bad thing right now - you get support to help you learn more about the Eyfs and you get a quicker re-inspection so you can show off how much you have learned and raise your grade really quickly...

But it's up to you. If you do feel that you want to appeal then go for it! It's better to be doing something than to feel upset about the result.

Hugs xx

shmuck9681
19-12-2013, 09:30 AM
I did appeal and the inspector did agree with me in the end in both counts and have had my grading changed to good, ;-) there were lots of evidence on my part to show I did have good practice in these areas it was just that it wasn't shown on the child that was here during inspection as he had only attended for such a short time... Sometimes it is worth fighting for x

loocyloo
19-12-2013, 05:14 PM
I did appeal and the inspector did agree with me in the end in both counts and have had my grading changed to good, ;-) there were lots of evidence on my part to show I did have good practice in these areas it was just that it wasn't shown on the child that was here during inspection as he had only attended for such a short time... Sometimes it is worth fighting for x

Well done. Good news.

JCrakers
19-12-2013, 05:36 PM
Excellent news...I always do an initial assessment around 6 weeks which is what my LA advised :D

Tulip
19-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Well done shmuck, really pleased for you :clapping: