PDA

View Full Version : urgent help please

toddlers896
05-12-2013, 05:57 PM
I terminated a contract today as I have tried for seven months to settle a child.
Parents are furious and have rang me tonight saying i am not fit to be a childminder and put the phone down.
She said she will be sending her tomorrow but wont be after that.
I have rang the legal team for advice on wether I could end the contract now and he said on page four there is
a section that says i can end immediately if i am being abused.
Would you say I could end contract now after what she said to me

Chatterbox Childcare
05-12-2013, 06:09 PM
If that is what the contract states and you want to stop it now then I would record everything and say yes end it now.

sarah707
05-12-2013, 06:41 PM
I think the trust has gone don't you? :( So yes, end immediately. You know that you won't get any more fees if you withdraw your service don't you?

Big hugs xx

bunyip
05-12-2013, 06:48 PM
An unpleasant comment or matter of opinion stated by a parent doesn't necessarily constitute "abuse". You'd need to ask your legal team, and recount exactly what was said. It would be well worth keeping a record of all communications. Written communications should prove far more useful than phone calls and text messages at this stage.

Koala
05-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Text in sick saying - you are 'UNFIT' to child mind tomorrow. :D

MessybutHappy
05-12-2013, 08:19 PM
I'd take the child tomorrow, record everything, be prepared to work the notice, she'll not have a leg to stand on if she complains but she's also chosen to continue to send her child to an "unfit" childminder.

You've cared for this child for seven months, they're cross, they've said things they shouldn't, they may regret, but either way, try to rise above it! You know you've tried, and you know you'll continue to do your best for this child. So do they, really, they wouldn't send the child if they truly didn't!

kellib
05-12-2013, 08:24 PM
You're unfit to be a childminder but they are happy to still send LO to you for a day?!

toddlers896
05-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Thanks guys for helping me out. I have sent an email ending the contract from immediate effect saying its in the best interest of everyone that she doesn't come back.
I cant have her in my home again not after the way she spoke to me today. Its unacceptable. I have tried for months to work with this family and child and its affecting me, my other children and my business so enough is enough. The only reason I didn't end the contract earlier is because I was scared to and I am not being bullied.
I have got tons and tons of writing in my diary to back me up, my childminding friend are witnesses to how hard this child is and have contacted Pacey. Will contact Ofsted in the morning.
I truly am hurt that a parent would rather hurl abuse at me than accept that their child is clearly not a happy bunny. Pretty sad!!!

Bluebell
05-12-2013, 08:53 PM
oh well done you - it must have been so hard to have tried so hard for so long and be treated like this. I hope this woman has the decency to apologise to you for the way she treated you but doesn't sound like she's that kind of person...Good luck to you x

lizann
05-12-2013, 08:55 PM
think you have done the right thing sending you hugs

Koala
05-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Definitely the right choice - you shouldn't be feeling like this - poor you, It's all over now. :thumbsup:

toddlers896
05-12-2013, 09:12 PM
I am not so sure it is all over - I will prob get that dreaded Ofsted call. but you know what, I have worked so so hard to get where I am today and I have nothing to hide. I am up to date with everything and if Ofsted come I will hold my head high. I am proud of where I am and I will not let some idiot that cant accept help with their child put me down. I was very upset earlier as nobody wants to be told they are not fit to be a childminder but I know I am and I really feel sorry for that kid growing up with ignorant parents.

emma04
05-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Thanks guys for helping me out. I have sent an email ending the contract from immediate effect saying its in the best interest of everyone that she doesn't come back. I cant have her in my home again not after the way she spoke to me today. Its unacceptable. I have tried for months to work with this family and child and its affecting me, my other children and my business so enough is enough. The only reason I didn't end the contract earlier is because I was scared to and I am not being bullied. I have got tons and tons of writing in my diary to back me up, my childminding friend are witnesses to how hard this child is and have contacted Pacey. Will contact Ofsted in the morning. I truly am hurt that a parent would rather hurl abuse at me than accept that their child is clearly not a happy bunny. Pretty sad!!!

Well done and please rest assured that you've done everything correctly!!
Sounds to me that parent sees the whole thing as an inconvenience rather than you doing what's best for THEIR child!!
What a nasty experience and why is it that we are always on the sh1tty end of everything??

Don't let this get to you and make you miserable because you don't deserve it!!!
I was bullied as a teenager and have strong feelings about people who make individuals feel threatened and guilty of things that they are innocent of!!!!

I'm so glad you have ended the contract immediately! Anyone that makes a person feel bad, needs binning ASAP!
Calling you a bad childminder for telling the truth is total nonsense!! Would the parent prefer you to lie???

Get that head up and sleep easy! X

Tazmin68
05-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Just make sure that you are up to date on all paperwork etc. should parent make a complaint to ofsted you will not get a call you will have a knock on the door and possible unannounced inspection. Make sure sef is submitted and up to date.

Deb

emma04
05-12-2013, 09:25 PM
Ps. Ofsted won't even head from them! What are they going to tell them???

Dear Mr/mrs Ofsted person
My childminder Wont look after my child because my child is distraught unhappy and won't settle.
This person is meant to be an expert, why can't she make my child enjoy being without ME every day? She's clearly rubbish and I'm clearly cheesed off because this situation is messing up my working life!!!

Yeah right! And I'm Gary Barlow!!!

rickysmiths
05-12-2013, 10:32 PM
I think the trust has gone don't you? :( So yes, end immediately. You know that you won't get any more fees if you withdraw your service don't you?

Big hugs xx

Sarah in the Pacey Contracts on page four there is a clause that states you can terminate the contract immediately under certain circumstances and still be paid the four weeks notice.

Koala
05-12-2013, 10:34 PM
Sarah in the Pacey Contracts on page four there is a clause that states you can terminate the contract immediately under certain circumstances and still be paid the four weeks notice.

I think I would just cut my losses and say good riddance.

serin
05-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Thanks guys for helping me out. I have sent an email ending the contract from immediate effect saying its in the best interest of everyone that she doesn't come back.
I cant have her in my home again not after the way she spoke to me today. Its unacceptable. I have tried for months to work with this family and child and its affecting me, my other children and my business so enough is enough. The only reason I didn't end the contract earlier is because I was scared to and I am not being bullied.
I have got tons and tons of writing in my diary to back me up, my childminding friend are witnesses to how hard this child is and have contacted Pacey. Will contact Ofsted in the morning.
I truly am hurt that a parent would rather hurl abuse at me than accept that their child is clearly not a happy bunny. Pretty sad!!!

I had a similar child recently that stopped at 4 months. Long story but he didnt settle for 4 months and I was really upset at the way I was not appreciated. It effected my health, family life, social life. Its not worth it. The second he left its like God sent me a flood of replacement work and I am so much happier for it. :thumbsup:

Well done for trying so hard with him but sometimes we have to let go and accept that it doesnt always work the way we want it to.

rickysmiths
05-12-2013, 10:46 PM
I terminated a contract today as I have tried for seven months to settle a child.
Parents are furious and have rang me tonight saying i am not fit to be a childminder and put the phone down.
She said she will be sending her tomorrow but wont be after that.
I have rang the legal team for advice on wether I could end the contract now and he said on page four there is
a section that says i can end immediately if i am being abused.
Would you say I could end contract now after what she said to me

I think you need to be careful because I don't think I would term the above as abuse. Unpleasant, uncalled for maybe but not abuse. The thing is what has happened over the last few months in terms of settling in, have you recorded what you have done and conversations you have had over the months with the parents? Have they kept to their side of the agreements made during your discussions?

In my experience if you can prove absolutely that you have done everything in your power to settle the child and the parents have not co operated and the child has not settled then yes you can terminate but I would say you need to work the notice period.

Personally I would be writing to the parents detailing the notice, the last day of care and money owed. I would give them the number of the local FIS and any other places they could look for alternative care. This way you can demonstrate that you have done everything you possibly can to settle the child and then to aid the parents to finding another child carer.

I suspect the parents are shocked and were not expecting notice and the father just reacted a parent did this to me 2 years ago. When they had left they complained to Ofsted that I had not settled their child and that it had cried all day. Because I had recorded everything, meetings and discussions with the parents, what I had done with the child, lots of photos I was able to demonstrate to Ofsted that I had indeed done everything to settle the family and could have not done anything more the Complaint was not upheld.

If you just withdraw care with no notice you need to be sure that if the parent took you to court to claim their out of pocket expenses as a result so possible loss of earnings or the payment for childcare twice that you can prove beyond doubt that the father was abusive toward you. If all that has happened is what you have told us I would doubt (I can be 100% sure it is only my view) that you would win.