PDA

View Full Version : Teaching about danger - how do you do it?

Mouse
05-12-2013, 04:20 PM
This afternoon I've been doing a 2 year check for one of my mindees.

He's achieving well in all areas, but one statement in the EYO has really made me think.

Under Health & Self-Care (22-36 months) it says "beginning to recognise danger and seeks support of significant adults for help".

Now this child (26 months) has no concept of danger at all. He jumps off things without a second thought, at home he's eaten soap powder, picked up hot drinks and played with screwdrivers etc. Now I know a lot of this comes down to parental responsibility & they shouldn't let him have free access to these things, but how would you go about teaching a child about the dangers? This child will have ago at anything and I don't want to stifle this, but how do you go about getting them to recognise dangers for themselves? I've had children here who are too terrified to try anything (the other extreme), so I'm looking for something in the middle.

Is it something you can promote, or is it something that will come in time?

AdeleMarie88
05-12-2013, 04:28 PM
For me, the biggest danger we face is the road! I have three 30month olds, and they are all fantastic walkers, and love scooting, so we talk a lot about road safety. I found a great book on amazon on road safety, and it's just mega repetition. Constantly telling them to stop at the end of the pavement, being careful because the cars are fast and so on...they do understand now, and I think it's only because I have been talking to them about it non stop for the past 6months.

There is a fine line, letting them explore within safe boundaries. Like you correctly say, you don't want to stifle them. It's just our job to make sure the environment in which we want them to explore, is as safe and stimulating, as we can make it! X

dawn100
05-12-2013, 07:55 PM
I think you teach children about danger by explaining yourself to them when you say no or be careful and not just saying no eg when climbing up the steps to a slide you might say be careful climbing up the steps make sure you hold on you don't want to fall or when walking by a road explaining we walk on the path and wait to cross the road and explain about cars etc, it's probably stuff you do anyway but I do know alot of parents don't explain they just say no or don't do that or stop but no reason why. Teaching them about danger isn't just about teaching them what's they shouldn't do but also teaching them about how they can do things safely. That statement however in my IMO seems a bit advanced for the younger age of the age bracket.

sarah707
06-12-2013, 08:16 AM
I do a lot of risk assessments with the children - we talk about dangers before we get to the park, while we are walking etc.

We also do the daily risk assessment with the children once they are old enough to understand.

It can be a very gradual learning curve for a lot of children though... you just have to keep plugging on :laughing: :D

Mouse
06-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Thanks all.

I've been pondering this some more (the mind of a childminder never switches off :rolleyes:) and I've realised there are signs emerging that he is starting to show some awareness.

When he leaves my house mum normally just let's him run to the car. She's usually chasing after him to keep him away from the road. Lately though he's been running from my door, but stopping at the end of the drive and not going any further than that.

Thinking about it more, I reckon it's the PARENTS who need some sort of danger awareness training!