Is this something you exclude for?

10m old baby has anti biotics

Not sure so thought I'd ask!

Koala
05-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Is this something you exclude for?

10m old baby has anti biotics

Not sure so thought I'd ask!

I would exclude for 48 hours after first dose of anti niotics and as long as lo is happy, eating! and well enough to join in he would be welcome at our house.

KatieFS
05-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Well mum is doctor and feels not contagious and seems nearly all better. Can't really argue with that. Hoping she is correct as I do not want tonsillitis in the house...

emma04
05-12-2013, 09:31 PM
Well mum is doctor and feels not contagious and seems nearly all better. Can't really argue with that. Hoping she is correct as I do not want tonsillitis in the house...

Well mum.....is not going to be caring for the child YOU are! It's YOUR business, YOUR decision! Just because she a doctor doesn't mean she won't pull a fast one!!
48hrs from First mouthful of antibiotics before I accept children back in my setting! And as a parent myself I wouldn't dream of sending my dd3 to nursery for at least a few days after prescription!

Koala
05-12-2013, 09:32 PM

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Yes, she would wouldn't she. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

KatieFS
05-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Yes me too, a 10m old baby i think they pught to stay home.
but what can I say?!?!! It isn't in my policy to be fair. These are same parents that took 3 hours to collect her after I says she was poorly and needed to come home. I feel a pattern emerging.

Koala
05-12-2013, 09:46 PM
Yes me too, a 10m old baby i think they pught to stay home.
but what can I say?!?!! It isn't in my policy to be fair. These are same parents that took 3 hours to collect her after I says she was poorly and needed to come home. I feel a pattern emerging.

Mmmmmmm :panic: what next?

KatieFS
05-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Well if she arrives and still has any of the same symptoms I'm ringing them to collect.
Relationship with parents has been great until now but not happy about this week.
Mum dropped her off tues morning saying she has had a bit if temperature over wkend but all better now. Well she wasn't and by 11 had temp of 39. Called them as she was upset not herself and not eating, cue 3 hour wait for them to collect.
Following day dad drops off - she was bit clingy but better and eaten fine. By 11 getting hot again. Dad having work done at home very dusty so said I can't really take her anywhere and try and get doc appt. got appt 5.10 children here till 5, dad says ill be there 4.45. Dad arrives at 5.15 in mad panic as he is late. Lo ill and crying. No comment about sorry I'm late etc ..hello?!!!??!
Surprise surprise baby has tonsillitis so I was right she was poorly. Poor little mite.
Baby now miraculous recovery. (Sarcasm ...)
Sorry I'm ranting

Koala
05-12-2013, 10:10 PM
No - not good.

When did she first have antibiotics? if Wednesday pm she wouldn't be at my house this week, what is your policy?

tigwig
05-12-2013, 10:18 PM
No way would I be accepting the child. Maybe by mon things will be a lot better but not by tomorrow. I would also be doing a letter confirming your sickness policy and the importance of keeping ill children away etc etc and address it to all parents but probably just give it to them. I have often found that the people with seemingly such important jobs especially in the medical profession are the worst at caring for their own children!

KatieFS
05-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Yes weds pm but I don't have anything in my policy re anti biotics so I feel I am stuck.

Koala
05-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Yes weds pm but I don't have anything in my policy re anti biotics so I feel I am stuck.

No your not stuck, you don't have to have everything written down - you couldn't possibly for all illness's (But prescribed medication of any kind but particularly anti biotics and penecillin should have an exclusion period as this is confirming the child IS ILL and I would get it written down if I were you) I always advise parents to discuss child's illness with me but I have the last say, not other people who arn't looking after their child whether it be doctor, nurse, schools etc...

KatieFS
05-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Yes agree. To say I'm unimpressed is an understatement
I will def review my illness policy
Have also started to charge for late pick ups from this family as often 5-10 mins late. I think this is something ill need to charge for as getting rather fed up with nearly always giving up 5-10 mins
Ill keep you posted...

Zoomie
05-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Read this http://www.istonsillitiscontagious.org/tonsillitis-is-it-contagious/

KatieFS
05-12-2013, 11:57 PM
Thank you. I will review in the morning, but if there are symptoms ill be sending her home

clairer
06-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Tonsilitus is highly contagious and she shouldn't really be with you as the other kids will get it. I have in my policy if a child is unwell enough to be on antibiotics they should be at home resting.

Koala
06-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Thank you. I will review in the morning, but if there are symptoms ill be sending her home

How's things gone??

KatieFS
06-12-2013, 10:37 AM
At the mo still sleeping so can't say, it's been one of those weeks for me.
Feeling a bit used tbh. Feeling cross -sending child to me who was unwell as basically they had to get to work. Feel quite let down by the family as thought we read from same hymn sheet and this has made me feel different. I will feel very upset if one if the other children or mine or me get ill.

It's so hard isn't it as I feel for the children and have really bonded...and i knew she wasn't well Tuesday morning. But parents don't see it like that and feel like its strictly business. I wish I'd have said Tuesday she needs to see the gp, I assumed as mum was doctor they would have assessed her to be well. Clearly not

So I'm going to be treating them strictly business now and everything will be noted and charged for. I'm going to re look at my illness policy definitely.
Sorry it's not been a good week for me, one of those weeks where I think why do I do this job. Putting the health of my children at risk. I'm sure ill be ok in a few days

Koala
06-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Chin up love!! We all get like that sometimes and it's real shock when it really does boil down to the fact they have paid so they will use you - no matter what.

Your right to reciprocate the business philosophy because otherwise you will be used and abused. And it will hurt and make you feel bad when things like this happen. Sometimes it takes a while for people to show their true colours, BUT AT LEAST YOU KNOW NOW.

Have a good weekend. :thumbsup:

hectors house
06-12-2013, 11:32 AM
I know this won't go down well but my policy is to inconvenience the parents as little as possible - as long as the child doesn't have a sickness or tummy bug and is well enough to still join in then I accept them, even if they are taking anti biotics - I run my setting as a home from home not a mini nursery, I am happy to dispense Calpol, cuddles and tissues as required.

KatieFS
06-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Well she slept for over 2 hours - unheard of!

She is very quiet and very pale but eating.

Hector yes I agree - this family knowingly sent this baby in knowing she was unwell. This is quite did respectful of me and my family.
She was not able to participate or eat so I think you would have done the same as me. Also remember she is only 10 months old.

smurfette
06-12-2013, 12:02 PM
I know this won't go down well but my policy is to inconvenience the parents as little as possible - as long as the child doesn't have a sickness or tummy bug and is well enough to still join in then I accept them, even if they are taking anti biotics - I run my setting as a home from home not a mini nursery, I am happy to dispense Calpol, cuddles and tissues as required.

I am the same unless a child is really poorly, in which case I will ask to be collected, but I hope that parents then take it seriously and come when I call them as I don't do it all the time!

However I have been in your shoes and it is a bit worrying (had one Lo dropped off this am for a few extra hikes and big sis was vomiting in night., don't think the extra hours are necessary she isn't going to get any work done now and told me she would be washing bedclothes all morning so really would have preferred to not have little one in case we all catch it but what can you do?! ) sometimes when u look at what we Earn it doesn't seem worth it! All I can say is at least your little one is on antibiotics and will improve and be less contagious, unfortunately you had also all already been exposed to it before she was diagnosed! Same as me

But I did have probs with a little one in the past who was very unwell but kept reappearing every morning and she was coughing so much she kept vomiting.. Mum wouldn't take her to doctor as she worked in a preschool where a parent was a dr and she wanted to bump into her 'accidentally' the following Tuesday (a week away!) to get her to look at her! Meanwhile my daughter and a very pregnant other parent came down with a lung infection and Lo and behold little one had a lung infection! She was put on antibiotics but she was so sick by the time she got them they didn't work straight away so I told mum to keep her off for two days and get her right., well u can guess then she didn't want to pay me as I had excluded her not her keeping her home (!) and when she came back had enrolled her in a nursery as apparently they would have taken her when sick.. No way! I think I had her more days than a nursery would!!! Was glad to see back of parent to be honest

KatieFS
06-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Of course I don't chose to deliberately inconvenience parents, but feel if a child is ill they should be at home. Especially if the doctor has diagnosed a contagious illness.

smurfette
06-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Of course I don't chose to deliberately inconvenience parents, but feel if a child is ill they should be at home. Especially if the doctor has diagnosed a contagious illness.

Of course you wouldn't and that little one is clearly very unwell and parents were
Very naughty to send her and try and pull the wool over your eyes, uou will have to watch them in future. It's not always practical
To care for an ill one if you have two others and Lo is very clingy, we all have to be judges on a case by case basis and it's tricky!

Have seen some minders on here recently (not you!) who seem to exclude for everything and I don't see how they can have a sustainable business if they keep that up , this is what I was referring to . Sorry if I got your back up wasn't intentional xx

KatieFS
06-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Gosh no not at all. You gave excellent advice! Each family are so different and starting to see the full picture here.
I used to work in service industry so understand and pride myself on providing a flexible reliable service. I do not go out to make money out of people or to try to get money for nothing. I have a strong moral code. I'm very much home from home and know parents need to get to work.

I'm a childcare professional. Not a nurse or doctor and should not be expected to care for a baby who is clearly unwell. I had a terrible experience with a child recently who got very poorly very quickly and this has given me different perspective on caring for young children who might be poorly. I do not exclude for any old thing but think children like adults need a few days rest to get better. My setting is busy we have to go out in school runs.

KatieFS
06-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Thanks koala. Sound advice! You have a good one too xx