PDA

View Full Version : Sick Children

Achild
04-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Hi guys,

I am desperate for advise on caring for 'sick children'.

I happily care for children who have colds and coughs yet when a child comes to my setting with a full blown cold, looks terrible/worn out is coughing and spluttering everywhere, sneezes as sn*t flies out, eyes watering, and me constantly wiping their nose every minute which is flooding out etc etc etc , should I honestly be caring for this child. I don't think I should be, but am I wrong???

Having said all of that I happily care for child with MILD symptoms of a cold, but if it's a streaming cold which requires calpol to make them feel better, I do think they should be at home.

However it always seems to be this bone of contention with a certain mum.

Please help!!

Kind Regards

KatieFS
04-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Hi! Similiar thread from me about paranoid feelings about temp.

Thing is little ones have coughs and colds most of the time. One of my 10m olds has had a runny nose for most if her time here. Sadly I seem to have had cold/cough for about 6 weeks too..

I think if there is temperature too and child not able to participate in activities, not eating, listless the best place for them is at home.

Achild
04-12-2013, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the advise - so hard to decide the right thing to do!!

dawn100
04-12-2013, 02:25 PM
I won't give calpol to a child for general illness if they need calpol to get them through the day with illness they should be at home, I will give calpol for something's like recovery after a broken bone or sugery but refuse to give it for general illness. I will take kids with colds but they need to be well enough to be here without medicine - a nursery wouldn't do it!

Achild
04-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Thanks guys :)

hectors house
04-12-2013, 09:12 PM
Some people think Calpol should only be used to bring down a temperature but I often take paracetomol for a headache or sore throat or other cold symptoms - I don't feel that I am poorly enough to not work but find that after taking a tablet that I feel much better - almost back to normal. I don't believe in doping a child up every time they whinge or to get them to sleep but do feel that if I take paracetomol to help me feel better then parents should be allowed to send Calpol to help poorly children.

I have had 3 children here today with varying degrees of coughs and colds, none of them have been just lying on the sofa or whinging, often being with friends is a distraction to feeling rough. Only one of them has had Calpol today.