PDA

View Full Version : I'm a victim of the 'Credit Crunch'

button68
18-07-2008, 06:31 AM
Well went I started childminding in January I ht the ground running with 2 children for two days straightaway. Business slowly built to needing a variation for the Tuesday :D

But the parent with 2 children has slowly cut the days back (promising to increase once the 4 year old starts school in Sept) - but on Wednesday she gave me notice that she is ending the contract.

She just can't afford it :( Her tax credits have been re-assessed and cut right back. Now I'm not doubting her but we have a term time only contract do you think she'll continue to claim against my reg number over the summer hols?

Now I have:

Monday - no one
Tuesday - R
Wednesday - E
Thursday - R + E
Friday - E

It's desperate!!!! :panic:

miffy
18-07-2008, 06:36 AM
That's tough Mnady

If you think this parent will continue to claim tax credits then phone the helpline on 0845 300 3900 and report it - better safe than sorry.

I also have a form that I get parents to sign when a child leaves stating the last day I looked after them - it also says if they are claiming tax credits they understand it is up to them to inform HMRC.

That way I'm covered if there is ever any dispute.

Hope you get some more enquiries soon

Miffy xx

LittleAcorns
18-07-2008, 06:41 AM
Mandy, Im sorry about that, with it being a term time contract, does she still pay in the hols? has she given you a month?

I hope something else comes along quickly x

Pedagog
18-07-2008, 07:03 AM
What a pain. I hope things pick up for you.

Mrs.L.C
18-07-2008, 04:13 PM
I know this feeling. Iv hardly any work this year during the summer holidays because no1 can afford it and I know where the parent is coming from re the tax credits as ours has been cut aswell yet we are earning the same as last year....not sure whats going on there, yet everything else (expense wise) has gone up

disney
18-07-2008, 04:45 PM
dont really no what to say to make things any better im afraid :( im very sorry for you ! it can be tuff some times x

Alibali
18-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Oh no, I posted a few months back to ask if anyone thought we'd be affected by the credit crunch, and it looks like my instincts were right. Up our way parents are cutting hours and giving notice, and the phones haven't rang for ages. I just hope that things improve quickly.

Hugs for you.

lavenderrose
19-07-2008, 07:14 AM
I suppose we should all expect this, although the little ones still need to be minded by someone. I think it is a real scary prospect, because more and more people will not be able to afford childcare and start to leave them with neighbours and friends again who may not be registered. Hopefully we wont be reading about these things in the future, when something terrible occurs.

Minstrel
19-07-2008, 07:19 AM
with all this in mind how wise do you think it is for those of us not yet registered to continue down the childminding path?
i already have a part time job should i hold onto it? :(

SonnysMummy
19-07-2008, 07:43 AM
You know what...i'm just registered although i'm seriously considering giving up already!!! Not got any interest at all after 3 months of advertising and doing so everywhere. So...i'm considering finding a nanny job for 2-3 days a week and then maybe childminding for the other two of there is any interest!!! I'd earn enough nannying for 3 days a week anyway because it pays really well and the work is guaranteed!!! Other childminders have told me it's not a good time in our area because of the credit crunch!!!

Minstrel
19-07-2008, 07:49 AM
i dont even need a lot of work to be earning what i am now as i only do about 10 hours a wk min wage. probably 2 p/t ers would be enough. i dont expect to be reg before jan if not feb or march with the stories i've heard on here about crb!
Did you start advertising before your reg then?
what did you tell the parents cos i take it you cant sign contracts then?:)

SonnysMummy
19-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Yeah, i starting advertising about 3 months before i was registered. Only had one enquiry and she didn't turn up!!! Just said to her that i would be registered soon. On leaflets etc i wrote that i would be a soon to be registered childminder. I thought if i advertised before i was registered i would have children lined up ready...but for me i haven't been very lucky i suppose:( I'd say definetely advertise before as long as you don't say that you ARE registered because obviously that is false advertising. I didn't think i'd be allowed to do it before but the ladies on here told me i could:)

Minstrel
19-07-2008, 10:15 AM
i've started telling ppl that is what i'm planning to do and hope they'll remember when something mentions they are looking for child care but wasnt sure if i could go so far as to have them round my house and look and paperwork etc.i take it from what you said that you can then x
will try to do that

thanks
amanda
p.s love this site
learn something new every day!!

fionamal
19-07-2008, 10:34 AM
It is very quiet just now all over. Im also thinking about taking on a parttime job somewhere just to bring in some money as I have now only got 1 lo for 2 days per week so thats only £60 per week im making and had a couple of enquires this year but nothing has come of them.

Some of the local childminders have dropped their prices to try an get more work but so far its not working as more and more mums are giving up work as they cant afford to comute, pay childcare costs etc

FizzysFriends
19-07-2008, 10:35 AM
I could cope with this credit crunch if I thought it was going to be short term.

Im not yet registered but hope to be soon as as my PT job is only just paying the bills now and a couple of part timers would make a difference.

SonnysMummy
19-07-2008, 11:03 AM
God...it's not very positive is it?!:(

button68
19-07-2008, 07:24 PM
I suppose we should all expect this, although the little ones still need to be minded by someone. I think it is a real scary prospect, because more and more people will not be able to afford childcare and start to leave them with neighbours and friends again who may not be registered. Hopefully we wont be reading about these things in the future, when something terrible occurs.

The parent who has given me notice has said that the Grandmother is going to start looking after J.

Nana used to have him 2 days a week, she couldn't climb the steps of the playgroup so I used to bring him down for her on the days I wasn't collecting him. She used to say how she looked forward to the days he was with me .... God bless her now :eek:

brillminder
19-07-2008, 09:43 PM
this is affecting us all i am loosing 2 full timers as parent made redundant, so lost 90 hours fees, so large loss for us :( . but seems they may be better off as have a insurance for a years mortgage cover .lets hope parent male gets a job and hates staying at home then they will come back :) good luck to all . maybe i should make bags that say join the credit crunch.

some parents are getting help toward fees and still moan how much they have to pay what about the one who have good jobs & no help,,but often large mortgages..etc etc .......somethings not right in our silly world :(

Cazz
19-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Blimey I'm a bit worried now as I'm a pre-reg myself and have been having a dilemma about whether to return to my job for 2 days a week (after maternity leave) and also try to get childminding off the ground on the other 3 days. After much changing of minds I had almost certainly decided to hand my notice in and give my all to childminding (I've been helped along in this decision as just discovered branch will be open Saturdays and I would have to work 1 in 3 and dh works at weekends).

Now I'm not sure if I should give my notice in after reading this thread! By the time I'm registered things could be even more dire! There is someone at work that would probably need me 1 in 3 Saturdays for her two boys and a friend asked this week when I will be starting as she will probably require me after school two days a week but although it's a start that wouldn't be enough of a wage!

Now I'm going to be tossing and turning tonight wondering what to do :panic: - I have to hand my notice in very soon if I'm going to!

Carole x

Pudding Girl
19-07-2008, 10:56 PM
For those in process of regging I would say to not give notice to your jobs until you have got some mindees in the pipeline - even without this credit crunch going on it can take a god few months to get started up and obviously there is no guarantee you'll get anyhere near full time.

Cazz
19-07-2008, 11:02 PM
For those in process of regging I would say to not give notice to your jobs until you have got some mindees in the pipeline - even without this credit crunch going on it can take a god few months to get started up and obviously there is no guarantee you'll get anyhere near full time.

Good advice I'm thinking! It's just that I was getting really down in my job before I went on maternity leave and I know that the situation is even worse now and Saturday working has definetly not helped! What a dilemma!

Carole x

SonnysMummy
20-07-2008, 09:39 AM
I think i've come to the decision to get a job nannying for 2-3 days per week and then i can wait and see if i get any mindees lined up. I didn't go back to work after my maternity leave finished in january as i was pre-reg and just thought i may aswell wait until i was childminding. I think i should have started working again until i got some mindees lined up as we have been struggling for months now!!! I'm going to join some nannying agencies. I can't keep waiting for mindees!!!:(

manjay
20-07-2008, 10:15 AM
I think it is wise to not put all your eggs in one basket so to speak! luckily my wage was not needed so I was able to resign after maternity leave. My registration took 12 months and wasn't complete until 6 months after my maternity leave finished. That was in november last year. I have been working part time since then and it is only in September this year that all my places will be full. So things are really positve for me just now but I am very aware that childminding can be a fickle business and you can be full one minute and struggling the next.

Hope things pick up for everyone soon xx

berkschick
20-07-2008, 10:40 AM
with all this in mind how wise do you think it is for those of us not yet registered to continue down the childminding path?
i already have a part time job should i hold onto it? :(

Where abouts in Berkshire are you?

I am in Lower Earley and all the minders are full. I have had 3 calls for full timers this week. I have 8 part timers on my books and have been full since 6 weeks after being registered.

Also 3 minders I know have given up due to EYFS.

Lots of Mums are looking to return to work round here so I would say yes, continue with your registration.

Minstrel
20-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Where abouts in Berkshire are you?

I am in Lower Earley and all the minders are full. I have had 3 calls for full timers this week. I have 8 part timers on my books and have been full since 6 weeks after being registered.

Also 3 minders I know have given up due to EYFS.

Lots of Mums are looking to return to work round here so I would say yes, continue with your registration.

Is that near Reading?
I'm in Windsor and 3 or 4 ppl have already said to let them know when i'm registered but that is such a long way off -jan at earliest- that i'm sure they'll have looked elsewhere.

childminder54
20-07-2008, 09:13 PM
im loosing one to nursary she was doing 4 days a week in septeember he was going yo nursary 2 days a week asked about in sept she wanted to increase nursary to 3 days a week as starting school in sept to get to know children going to his school was told couldnt guarentee place nut could septm are they only saying that so she would start sept so he is leaving in 3 weeks time
going 5 days and will only pay for 2 half how can we compeat with this..

veronicaxx

Mrs.L.C
21-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Iv recently heard that children as young as 8 are being left at home or going to the free swim sessions in the area, being picked up at lunch time by parents for lunch then taken back to the free swim sessions and thats their child care sorted because parents cant afford it. Others are giving up work completely.

Its mad to think thats its got this bad for people. Luckily we are managing even thou the minding is quiet during the school Holidays but im going to make the most of it as back to 10 hours a day from sept

bubbly
21-07-2008, 08:00 PM
I shall be giving up minding too. I haven't been able to fill my spaces and it's becoming clear it isn't going to improve.

jaja
21-07-2008, 09:13 PM
I am completely empty all of the 6 weeks!!!! my mindee is on retainer at £1.50 per hour for 9 hours a week, and noone needs me, no phone calls or anything and i am now looking for work else where in the day as i carnt really afford to live like this...i think the credit crunch is hurting everything one at the mo, i havent been this quiet in over five years, fingers crossed it improves soon xxx