PDA

View Full Version : I think this is really sad :(

JCrakers
03-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Just chatting to my mindees over tea and they said that yesterday the Head teacher banned running in the playground...so no tig, stuck in the mud etc

They said they can walk and stand still and talk.....How sad is that :( Their childhood games banned!?!?

How can they run off energy?

Mrsh3103
03-12-2013, 04:50 PM
That's awful. If it was my sons school I think I'd have a word about that rule!

rickysmiths
03-12-2013, 04:52 PM
I think I would be going in and having a word with the Head if this had happened to my children in their school. It is completely unacceptable and I would want to know why her /his staff were suddenly incapable of supervising proper play. I would also want to know wht they were no longer doing PE, Foot ball or tennis or such if they no longer allow running outside. Also I assume there will no longer be a Sports Day either?

FloraDora
03-12-2013, 04:54 PM
I imagine that it is a temporary ban because they were getting a little uncontrolled on the playground - the wind often does this to children! Plus if he has had a few accidents ....he probably threatened and then had to follow it through ! I wouldn't have thought this will be in place for more than one or two playtimes ...... Or the Daily Mail will make it into a headline!!

sing-low
03-12-2013, 05:13 PM
I imagine that it is a temporary ban because they were getting a little uncontrolled on the playground - the wind often does this to children! Plus if he has had a few accidents ....he probably threatened and then had to follow it through ! I wouldn't have thought this will be in place for more than one or two playtimes ...... Or the Daily Mail will make it into a headline!!

I agree that this is probably the case but it is still unacceptable. Really, you shouldn't be a headteacher if you can't control yourself enough not to make a threat that you then have to carry through even though you don't really want to.

FloraDora
03-12-2013, 06:16 PM
I agree that this is probably the case but it is still unacceptable. Really, you shouldn't be a headteacher if you can't control yourself enough not to make a threat that you then have to carry through even though you don't really want to.

The best thing to do is to casually check in the morning about whether the ban is true (it could have been for a few minutes at the end of play) and then establish the facts and go from there....if its short term ...then lessons learn't ....if it's longer term .....then you can question with all the concerns outlined here ....a majority being punished for a minority...importance of physical excersise ....behaviour management issues on the playground ( safety of children)etc...

Maza
03-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Maybe the school should think about creating 'zones' in the playground, for example, a running around area, a quiet/sitting/chatting area, an area for small equipment such as skipping ropes etc.

JCrakers
03-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Mmm...could be temporary i suppose...i know how kids see things lol

I'll see what the next few days go and see if its lifted, if not i'll be discussing with parents and looking into it more :D

george
04-12-2013, 07:38 AM
Depends os it in Hull as the local authority as just been fined £34000 by å parent (she got £1200, rest were costs) because her 6 year old hot knocked down by older children playing tag in the playground and she got å cut on her head as she fell onto a planter,
So maybe hes banned it due to risk of parents doing this, personally i cant believe this was allowed to be heard never mind won, how to children learn to manage risks if they cant take them

bunyip
04-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Just chatting to my mindees over tea and they said that yesterday the Head teacher banned running in the playground...so no tig, stuck in the mud etc

They said they can walk and stand still and talk.....How sad is that :( Their childhood games banned!?!?

How can they run off energy?

I'd suggest they work off energy by beating the cr4p out of an effigy of the headteacher.

......................assuming the real thing wouldn't stand still long enough. :rolleyes:

JCrakers
11-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Well I spoke to the children this morning about the ban. Its still in place and the rule is that each class has a rota of the ballcourt. So once a week the children can run around but the other 4 days they have to go out and walk, sit or stand and talk.

They can run on the grass but its out of bounds in the wet months (prob Oct - May)

There's no wonder my 8yr old 'loves the outdoors and finds it hard to sit and concentrate' mindee comes out of school looking like he's been caged. :mad:

smurfette
11-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Well I spoke to the children this morning about the ban. Its still in place and the rule is that each class has a rota of the ballcourt. So once a week the children can run around but the other 4 days they have to go out and walk, sit or stand and talk. They can run on the grass but its out of bounds in the wet months (prob Oct - May) There's no wonder my 8yr old 'loves the outdoors and finds it hard to sit and concentrate' mindee comes out of school looking like he's been caged. :mad:

The old
School my dds
Used to go to was like this ., madness! I know it can be dangerous if icy but how are they going to learn any spatial awareness/ personal space etc and as uou say they learn better if they have had A run around! They must have had problems but in the junior end they were allowed (up to age 8) but the principal would phone uou if there was a bumped head, then on to the senior end and they weren't allowed run at all except on days they for that small yard! My girls moved schools to a smaller one a couple of years ago and they are allowed run again yay!!