PDA

View Full Version : How long to register an assistant?

JCrakers
03-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Im thinking of taking on an assistant and wondered how long it takes to register. Does it take weeks?

My friend is looking for a job and has a level 3. I've had two enquires this week and sounds like it would work quite well registering her to work here but I cant wait weeks as they want childcare to start soon

Any ideas?

jadavi
03-12-2013, 01:30 PM
My assistants took up to 3 months with the disclosure then ofsted approval then doing a first aid course. (Mine did it while she was waiting)

Mine also all started as a volunteers while she was waiting.

JCrakers
03-12-2013, 01:34 PM
OK... so if I have 2 families waiting its not going to work out then is it? She has a first Aid already as she works in a Preschool 2 days a week.

I'm so tempted but then really undecided. My friend has been looking for work for ages and it would be great.

I really wish I had someone to decide for me :angry:

loocyloo
03-12-2013, 02:10 PM
I think they can work with you as a volunteer but can't be left alone until forms all come back.

JCrakers
03-12-2013, 04:45 PM
Ok, I've spoken to my LA who informed me that even with an assistant I cant have more than 6 under 5 or 8 which I didn't realise. Thought I could up my numbers but I cant.

So that idea is dashed :rolleyes:

FloraDora
03-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Ok, I've spoken to my LA who informed me that even with an assistant I cant have more than 6 under 5 or 8 which I didn't realise. Thought I could up my numbers but I cant.

So that idea is dashed :rolleyes:

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/filedownloading/?file=documents/registration-forms-and-guides/t/The+numbers+and+ages+of+children+that+providers+on +the+Early+Years+and+Childcare+Registers+may+care+ for.doc&refer=0
This is what it says about assistants:

7. If a childminder works with one or more assistants or in partnership with other childminders, they may be able to increase the number of children they care for to a maximum of six aged under eight for each adult caring for the children. However, some of the factors listed above, such as the space available and any restrictions we impose,, may limit the total number. There are also other factors that might prevent a childminder from doing this, which are not part of their registration as a childminder: for example the local authority’s rules for planning permission to run a business, and any tenancy or leasehold arrangement childminders might hold that prevent them from running a business from home. Childminders may wish to check these and also that their public liability insurance allows them to have extra children before deciding to do so.
8. If a childminder is working with assistants or other childminders, each person must meet the ratios at all times. The EYFS allows childminders to leave a childminding assistant unsupervised with children for up to two hours in a single day with parental permission. This permission must be in writing if the childminder is on the voluntary part of the Childcare Register. If childminders choose to leave children alone with an assistant they cannot leave an assistant with more than six children under eight and only three of these children can be in the early years age group and only one of these may be under one.
9. Although childminders may decide to increase the number of children they can care for when working with an assistant or another childminder, they must always tell us if they intend to work with an assistant, or if the people they work with change. This is because the law requires childminders to tell us about all people who are living or working on the premises where childminding is provided so that we can check to see if they are suitable to be in contact with children.

The highlighted bit definately says EACH ADULT.