PDA

View Full Version : Sharing info and links with Pre-school

Louise_Oaktree
03-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Can anyone help me with ideas for 3-way sharing of information with parents and Pre-school please?

Currently Pre-school sends me their termly planning sheet and completes child's daily diary

TIA

Simona
03-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Can anyone help me with ideas for 3-way sharing of information with parents and Pre-school please?

Currently Pre-school sends me their termly planning sheet and completes child's daily diary

TIA

Very important that we establish good professional relationships with preschools and share the children's progress

Whenever I have been in that position I have approached the preschool and asked what would they suggest so that CM/preschool/parents are keeping in touch on progress
It requires permission from parents but that should be something already embedded in our contract
I gave a short briefing on the child, time I had cared for him/her, attendance with me and general info
I shared my LJs and also was able to see theirs
Their planning was more topic based but it helped me to understand what the child was learning with them and how to extend it at home
It wasn't always plain sailing but I did see improvements

We do things differently but I see no barriers in doing so if all parties are willing to build respect and understanding that we all matter in the progress children make and in how we prepare them for school

I attended a meeting on Saturday with many preschools...the message was clear that they want to engage with CMs
I sincerely hope we can make progress in this area

Louise_Oaktree
03-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Very important that we establish good professional relationships with preschools and share the children's progress

Whenever I have been in that position I have approached the preschool and asked what would they suggest so that CM/preschool/parents are keeping in touch on progress
It requires permission from parents but that should be something already embedded in our contract
I gave a short briefing on the child, time I had cared for him/her, attendance with me and general info
I shared my LJs and also was able to see theirs
Their planning was more topic based but it helped me to understand what the child was learning with them and how to extend it at home
It wasn't always plain sailing but I did see improvements

We do things differently but I see no barriers in doing so if all parties are willing to build respect and understanding that we all matter in the progress children make and in how we prepare them for school

I attended a meeting on Saturday with many preschools...the message was clear that they want to engage with CMs
I sincerely hope we can make progress in this area

Thanks, I am sure they will be willing to share more, and sharing LJ is a great idea thanks. I am a parent too as my little boy attends the same pre-school so I am not in the dark as such. Interestingly though any activities that are sent home to encourage parents to engage with their children Mum gives to me and says "Well you see her more than I do!"

loocyloo
03-12-2013, 04:59 PM
I was talking with local preschool today about sharing info ... They are more than happy with me adding bits to their home school book but they will not have time to look at or write in my daily diary! Apparently because I only have 3 LO I have lots of time ... Where as they have up to 18 children with 4 staff members and usually at least 1 parent/volunteer/student! And therefore they are too busy. Again I can add to their LJ but they can't look at mine ... They do one or two obs a term... I do several a month ... and child is with me for more hours ... I can pass my obs on to them ... They won't be able to pass obs to me! I don't collect or drop child to preschool so no easy opportunity to share!

Simona
03-12-2013, 06:46 PM
I was talking with local preschool today about sharing info ... They are more than happy with me adding bits to their home school book but they will not have time to look at or write in my daily diary! Apparently because I only have 3 LO I have lots of time ... Where as they have up to 18 children with 4 staff members and usually at least 1 parent/volunteer/student! And therefore they are too busy. Again I can add to their LJ but they can't look at mine ... They do one or two obs a term... I do several a month ... and child is with me for more hours ... I can pass my obs on to them ... They won't be able to pass obs to me! I don't collect or drop child to preschool so no easy opportunity to share!

Loocyloo...this is good to share so thank you

If the preschool tells you you have lots of time maybe they do not understand they way we work and, in all honesty, many CMs do not understand they way preschools operate....no reference to you personally just a general observation.

I ran my own preschool for 8 years and I know my staff would not go home and do LJs or write down the obs they made during the day...for preschools all has to be done in their opening hours I would assume

Did I not read somewhere recently that there was a demand for nursery staff to have time off to go and do paperwork? if that happens that practitioner has to be replaced by another to cover for her...is there the money?
Take Reggio Emilia for instance where the professional have hours and hours each week to do their documentation...we are far off that!!

My thinking is the only way to get to know how we work and understand it is maybe to start more than just a bit of sharing at drop off and pick up...why can't we start local meetings...look at how things can be improved
It would have been very useful if the LAs had encouraged such practice in the past when the EYFS requested this practice
I am going to try in my area...I don't expect a huge take on this but my interest lies in those preschools close to me where my children are likely to go...any more would be a bonus

In my view where there is a will there is a way!

loocyloo
03-12-2013, 07:07 PM
Loocyloo...this is good to share so thank you

If the preschool tells you you have lots of time maybe they do not understand they way we work and, in all honesty, many CMs do not understand they way preschools operate....no reference to you personally just a general observation.

I ran my own preschool for 8 years and I know my staff would not go home and do LJs or write down the obs they made during the day...for preschools all has to be done in their opening hours I would assume

Did I not read somewhere recently that there was a demand for nursery staff to have time off to go and do paperwork? if that happens that practitioner has to be replaced by another to cover for her...is there the money?
Take Reggio Emilia for instance where the professional have hours and hours each week to do their documentation...we are far off that!!

My thinking is the only way to get to know how we work and understand it is maybe to start more than just a bit of sharing at drop off and pick up...why can't we start local meetings...look at how things can be improved
It would have been very useful if the LAs had encouraged such practice in the past when the EYFS requested this practice
I am going to try in my area...I don't expect a huge take on this but my interest lies in those preschools close to me where my children are likely to go...any more would be a bonus

In my view where there is a will there is a way!

My area have termly meetings for all early years settings. BUT because they are usually 4-6pm childminders can't get to them. They have tried having later meetings but staff who don't live in the local area have gone home and won't come and to be honest majority of local childminders won't go ( to anything! But that's another story! ) so they are held to suit the majority. Fair enough. I do go when I can and friends who attend pass info etc on. I find it is usually easier to build a working relationship when you know some of the staff and they know you ...( we meet at training ) and there is mutual interest and respect. But getting it from all preschools seems impossible! However local preschool rarely attend meetings and only once in over 2 yrs has a member of staff been on any training that I have done!

Simona
03-12-2013, 07:16 PM
My area have termly meetings for all early years settings. BUT because they are usually 4-6pm childminders can't get to them. They have tried having later meetings but staff who don't live in the local area have gone home and won't come and to be honest majority of local childminders won't go ( to anything! But that's another story! ) so they are held to suit the majority. Fair enough. I do go when I can and friends who attend pass info etc on. I find it is usually easier to build a working relationship when you know some of the staff and they know you ...( we meet at training ) and there is mutual interest and respect. But getting it from all preschools seems impossible! However local preschool rarely attend meetings and only once in over 2 yrs has a member of staff been on any training that I have done!

Oh yes I recognise that problem too
In my LA we have a Providers Forum..one held at 1.30-3pm...so very good for preschools but not CMS and the other 6.30-8pm...good for CMS and some preschools...difficult to get the right balance.
What would be great is if we were given a slot to 'share information' during the meeting....could be suggestion for the future.