PDA

View Full Version : Giving up dummies

Jenna
02-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Has anyone got any advice this isn't really childminder related as its my own ds. He's 3 tomorrow and as I've got a few days off thought I'd try to get rid of the dummy it's one of those things I really hate. He only ever has it for bed but has started waking in the night wanting it and its becoming a pain. We went to Thomas land today (we stayed at the Drayton manor hotel last night) he loved it. So at bed time tonight I told him I'm sorry but we've left the dummy at Thomas land he took it much better than I thought however he won't got to sleep he's been in bed since 8 and its now 10 we've haven't had much crying but a lot of getting out of bed and shouting on the landing. When DH goes to him its worst he screams the place down wanting me and its really getting to me I know DH isn't very impressed with my idea to get rid of it but I don't think he ever would if it was up to him. Has anyone got any advice or suggestion. I'm hoping it will get easier

playdayz
02-12-2013, 10:28 PM
Has anyone got any advice this isn't really childminder related as its my own ds. He's 3 tomorrow and as I've got a few days off thought I'd try to get rid of the dummy it's one of those things I really hate. He only ever has it for bed but has started waking in the night wanting it and its becoming a pain. We went to Thomas land today (we stayed at the Drayton manor hotel last night) he loved it. So at bed time tonight I told him I'm sorry but we've left the dummy at Thomas land he took it much better than I thought however he won't got to sleep he's been in bed since 8 and its now 10 we've haven't had much crying but a lot of getting out of bed and shouting on the landing. When DH goes to him its worst he screams the place down wanting me and its really getting to me I know DH isn't very impressed with my idea to get rid of it but I don't think he ever would if it was up to him. Has anyone got any advice or suggestion. I'm hoping it will get easier

It will get easier but u have to stick with it if u give in it will make next time harder, u said he took it better than u thought when u said u left it at Thomas land, well when my son was about the same age an wouldn't take medicine I wrote a letter with a picture of Thomas about him taking his medicine so he gets better, work a treat as he loved Thomas maybe try something like that from Thomas thanking him for his dummy for the new baby trains an maybe a Thomas teddy sent from Thomas for him to take to bed in place of his dummy, kids love that stuff, good luck please keep me posted xx

Smiley
02-12-2013, 10:30 PM
I think as you've told him that you left it at Thomas Land, then you need to stick with that. It doesn't sound like he's too distressed or screaming the place down, so hopefully he's gone to sleep now. The first night will be the hardest so hopefully things will be easier tomorrow

Tulip
02-12-2013, 10:44 PM
Hope he is asleep for you now. Can you perhaps replace dummy with another comfort item such as teddy or maybe something you bought back from your trip away x

Mummits
03-12-2013, 08:35 AM
I would replace it with a cuddle blanket. You could get one with Thomas on or another of his favourite characters. Stick with it, it will be worth it!

QualityCare
03-12-2013, 08:45 AM
I wouldn't replace it with any thing else you will only have the same problem later, stick to your story, find a card with thomas on it write him a note on it from thomas telling him how pleased he is that now that he is a big boy he left his dummy and how happy the baby engines are with it, post it to him.

Jenna
03-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Thanks all he didn't wake once in the night but was up at 7 this morning I've bought him a new Henry train and I'm going to give him that on Friday with a little thank you note from Thomas. When he potty trained he had a tractor at the end of the week for being a good boy. I'll be glad in the long run its just hard and with no help only criticism off DH makes it a whole load harder

sarah707
03-12-2013, 06:35 PM
The first few nights are the hardest - but it will get easier. Hugs xx

Jenna
03-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Well night 2 of no dummy didn't really have any word if the dummy at bedtime he was a bit restless and kept getting up 45 mins and he was asleep much better than the 2 hours it took last night. Tomorrow he's in pre school and normally comes home shattered so I'm hoping it'll be much better.

amylouise867
03-12-2013, 10:31 PM
I wouldn't replace it with any thing else you will only have the same problem later, stick to your story, find a card with thomas on it write him a note on it from thomas telling him how pleased he is that now that he is a big boy he left his dummy and how happy the baby engines are with it, post it to him.

Fantastic idea!!! xx

Cinnamon Sugar
04-12-2013, 06:19 AM
Well night 2 of no dummy didn't really have any word if the dummy at bedtime he was a bit restless and kept getting up 45 mins and he was asleep much better than the 2 hours it took last night. Tomorrow he's in pre school and normally comes home shattered so I'm hoping it'll be much better.

Great, sounds like you've just about cracked it, don't give in!
Also, don't go back if he gets I'll etc, I did this with my daughter and it took aaages to get her back off it ;-)

smurfette
04-12-2013, 09:57 AM
You have done the hard part now so keep going,
Each night will get easier and he has proved he
Can sleep without it so throw them all out now and don't buy any more ! (Tempting in case but as pp said its harder if u give back he needs to realise it's gone for good now)

Jenna
04-12-2013, 05:52 PM
He's had the same 2 dummies since he was born i kept saying when he lost them that was that but he never did. I've put them out for rubbish today so no going back and tommee tippee don't make the ones he had any more so that's that.

smurfette
04-12-2013, 06:21 PM
He's had the same 2 dummies since he was born i kept saying when he lost them that was that but he never did. I've put them out for rubbish today so no going back and tommee tippee don't make the ones he had any more so that's that.

Go you!! Hope tonight is easier xx

Jenna
08-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Well its been 6 nights of no dummy and he's hardly asked for it at all. Friday when he came home from pre school I had made a little parcel for him with a letter from Thomas and a new train which he loves and hasn't stopped playing with. The only problem I have is he's finding it really hard to settle to sleep at night time he's up and down like a yo yo at bedtime then is waking around 5.30 in morning and not going bk to sleep which is proving hard on all of us. The dummies have gone wondered if anyone had any advice how I can get him to settle more quickly he's not upset or anything.

AdeleMarie88
08-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Congratulations!!

Good work with the dummy, and I love the idea of having a letter/parcel from Thomas!

I think with regards to settling earlier, I'm not sure what the answer is. Apart from having a routine of bath , book, bed, I'm not sure what else I can suggest. I think this may just be him getting used to the absence of dummy, and should get past it in time. Early starts are so hard to cope with!

Have you tried the sleep clocks? I've not had great luck with them, but one of my current mindees has one at home, and it's encouraged her to stay in bed and have quiet time. She still wakes at half5, but doesn't get up anymore!

Chatterbox Childcare
08-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Glad to hear this is working. Speech therapists hate dummies during the day and dentists hate them at night.

You have done the right thing.

Jenna
11-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Well we've been over a week without the dummy and he hasn't mentioned it since about Thursday last week so all good. Just need to crack this waking in the night which he didn't do before and I'll b one happy mummy

LadyC
12-12-2013, 12:06 AM
As you will know by now, everything is 'a phase' - if he was always a good sleeper, he will revert I'm sure and give yourself a massive pat on the back. It's such a scary time as a parent i.e. you know something helps, why not use it...?! but at this stage he hasn't asked for a dummy so no guarantee one would work again and you might just undo all your good work. Whatever he's doing now, suck it up and I'm sure it will turn out for the best. Our DS had one all the time :blush: until 2 then only for naps and night, then only naps but not at night from 2 and a half (yes, weird) our DD went from 4 weeks til 2 years for all naps/dis-content moments, then one day I said 'oh no I can't find it' and that was it. She does wake up super-early now -(for our liking) (6.45/7.15) but we try to view it as 'quality' time and occasionally she sleeps in (usually when I have my 7.30 mindee). Best of luck and you have totally done the right thing, well done!!