PDA

View Full Version : Day off of school

charlottenash
02-12-2013, 09:25 AM
My (now) 5yo had a very hectic weekend for his birthday, 3 late nights (one of them very late - 10pm) and a big party yesterday.

I let him have the day off today, provided he has a nap in the middle of the day. He had a few sniffles but generally just looked exhausted.

What would you do? Send your child in or allow them a day off?

SJ35
02-12-2013, 09:45 AM
I'd have sent mine and just put them to bed early tonight , but my kids know that I don't let them have time off unless they are very ill, they think I'm a very mean mommy :)
I would have been tempted to though if they were that tired :) hope he had a great birthday x

Mrsh3103
02-12-2013, 09:48 AM
My son would be going to school.

caz3007
02-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Mine would have gone in and then had a couple of early nights

Tealady
02-12-2013, 10:06 AM
If I felt he was run down and tired and there for appearing to start with a cold I would have kept him off for the day. A day resting might help him fight off a virus/infection without then becoming really ill and then needing more than just a day off further down the line. If he is tired ad washed out then his immune system will be low.

However, and not meaning to sound judgemental, I have learnt that it is very tempting to have full on celebrations for our children's birthdays but I do wonder for whose benefit it really is. After a really mental weekend for my DD's 3rd birthday (she's now 8) we keep celebrations much more low key. My son loved his birthday. Close relatives for a cuppa and cake and his pressies on the day and 5 little friends for a traditional tea party at home on the Saturday. He thought it was wonderful and we were very relaxed.

kellib
02-12-2013, 10:33 AM
I probably would have sent him to school, I always tell my son that if he doesn't feel right at school then he can get them to phone me and I'll pick him up, not had a phone call yet!

I understand how tempting it is though as my son only does half days on a Friday and I don't work Fridays so it's incredibly tempting to just stay in bed especially in these dark mornings! But then I enjoy my Friday mornings of peace too much lol!

clairer
02-12-2013, 11:11 AM
I always send my kids in even if tired. Unless they have a snotty cold, that's different.

samb
02-12-2013, 12:28 PM
I would have sent mine in too - its usually the end of the day that mine have the knock on effect of being over tired anyway so school wouldn't have to deal with it and I the school thought they weren't ok to be in they'd call.

skatie
02-12-2013, 12:44 PM
I have let my 5 yr old stay at home once before because he said he didn't feel very well and was tired... Half an hour later he was jumping around like a monkey and driving me nuts! Never again! We had a very similar weekend to yours, ds5 had a party from 4:30 to 6:30 on Fr followed by viewing a school production that ended at 10pm, very irritable child on Sat who did actually have an afternoon sleep but thn wouldn't go to sleep until 9Pm. Absolute grump on Sunday followed by another party and being over tired and not going to sleep until 9pm again. This morning he's complained of a headache, sore tummy and saying he needs to go to the doctor..... He's gone to school but will be going to bed at 7pm every night this week without fail!

charlottenash
02-12-2013, 12:58 PM
He already goes to bed at 6.15 every night, I couldn't go much earlier than that because of work.

Glad I kept him off now because he's been sleeping since 11.

I've always had the idea of spending money on a celebration rather than on gifts, because memories are forever, possessions aren't. He absolutely loved the party, and would do again every year because it was definitely all for his benefit :) and his dad's side are Turkish, they don't do 'quiet tea party' lol!

shortstuff
02-12-2013, 12:58 PM
We had ds' s birthday weekend this weekend and I must be mean cause ive sent him.

We had a full on day saturday. Then his party followed by his friends straight after. He went to bed at 7 and slept through till 7 but has been bouncing around this morning as today is actually his birthday. He will be exhausted again tonight and back in bed by 7. He knows I dont take messing around when hes tired x

charlottenash
02-12-2013, 01:00 PM
I don't think your mean for sending him! I think next year, and following years it's different because they are that little bit older and a lot more used to school.

shortstuff
02-12-2013, 01:06 PM
I don't think your mean for sending him! I think next year, and following years it's different because they are that little bit older and a lot more used to school.

Hes 7 today so is at an age where he understands luckily as it does make it easier x

Tinkerbell1979
02-12-2013, 01:08 PM
School and early nights all week

kellib
02-12-2013, 01:14 PM
He already goes to bed at 6.15 every night, I couldn't go much earlier than that because of work. Glad I kept him off now because he's been sleeping since 11. I've always had the idea of spending money on a celebration rather than on gifts, because memories are forever, possessions aren't. He absolutely loved the party, and would do again every year because it was definitely all for his benefit :) and his dad's side are Turkish, they don't do 'quiet tea party' lol!

One day off won't do any harm and he obviously needs the sleep!

He sounds like my son, he was still going to bed at around half 6 when he was 7, he's 8 now and goes between 7-730pm though if he's really tired he will take himself off to bed earlier! When he was younger I used to find him in bed at 5pm sound asleep for the night lol! Even at new year I have to make him have an afternoon nap so he'll be alright for midnight!

charlottenash
02-12-2013, 03:28 PM
I know KelliB I still have to drag him out of bed in the morning for school, I thought it was an age thing, I don't even attempt to keep him up for new year I know I won't succeed!

kellib
02-12-2013, 03:33 PM
I know KelliB I still have to drag him out of bed in the morning for school, I thought it was an age thing, I don't even attempt to keep him up for new year I know I won't succeed!

I never used to but now he's older he feels he's missing out so we came to the deal if he has a nap he can stay up til midnight :)

skatie
02-12-2013, 04:07 PM
I have let my 5 yr old stay at home once before because he said he didn't feel very well and was tired... Half an hour later he was jumping around like a monkey and driving me nuts! Never again! We had a very similar weekend to yours, ds5 had a party from 4:30 to 6:30 on Fr followed by viewing a school production that ended at 10pm, very irritable child on Sat who did actually have an afternoon sleep but thn wouldn't go to sleep until 9Pm. Absolute grump on Sunday followed by another party and being over tired and not going to sleep until 9pm again. This morning he's complained of a headache, sore tummy and saying he needs to go to the doctor..... He's gone to school but will be going to bed at 7pm every night this week without fail!
I have to eat my words, ds school phoned to say he poorly can I pick him up and he looked so sorry for himself! *blush*

shortstuff
02-12-2013, 04:14 PM
I have to eat my words, ds school phoned to say he poorly can I pick him up and he looked so sorry for himself! *blush*

Oh no hope he feels better soon x

charlottenash
02-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Oh no hope he feels better soon x

Get better soon, hot bath and good nights sleep will so the trick! I can't wait to have a bubbly lush bath this evening, I think I earned it this weekend lol!

Koala
02-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Day off - definately - wouldn't you if you could?

charlottenash
02-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Day off - definately - wouldn't you if you could?

Love this :)

Tulip
02-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Off to school but I'm here if needed, followed by a few early nights :)