PDA

View Full Version : Can we give teething gel under EYFS?

acorns
17-07-2008, 10:18 PM
:panic: Hi, does anyone know if we can give non prescription medication such as teething gel, savlon etc I'm a newly registered childminder and have my first mindee starting next week and the mum wants me to give teething gel but i'm not sure. If I get a permission form to administer it would that be ok with Ofsted?? Thanks

sarah707
18-07-2008, 07:10 AM
Yes, you need permission to administer... then when you have put it on / given it etc you need to get parents to sign to say you've told them it's happened...

I have a 'permission to administer medication / treatment' form and a form that says it's been administered.

Keep note of the expiry date of the medication so you can audit it every month and give it back if it runs out - it says you must in eyfs.

Re-do all your permissions at least 6 monthly to show you are taking parents views into consideration (I diary it to remember).

Hope this helps :D

angeldelight
18-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Think there is a form on the Bromley website

Angel xx

miffy
18-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Here's a link to a medication record form posted by George the other day

www.ucsfchildcarehealth.org/pdfs/forms/MedicationAdmForm.pdf

Miffy xx

acorns
20-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Thanks for that. Would it be best practice to do the same for Sun Lotion. I have a signed permission form but wondered if any of you keep a record of when you apply it & get parents to sign?

sarah707
21-07-2008, 07:01 AM
Thanks for that. Would it be best practice to do the same for Sun Lotion. I have a signed permission form but wondered if any of you keep a record of when you apply it & get parents to sign?

We have talked about sun tan lotion before and we decided it is not a medication...

I will always -

- get written permission from parents to apply sun lotion;
- ask parents for factor 30+ lotion labelled with child's name;
- get written permission from parents to use my own - factor 50 - if they forget;
- write in the child's daily diary that I have applied sun tan lotion through the day.

But I have never written a medication form for it. HTH :D

acorns
22-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks, I think I'll just write it in the daily diary.