PDA

View Full Version : Signing in and out

jadavi
02-12-2013, 02:36 AM
A colleague says we should have six columns in our book: name, time of arrival, signature, (theirs or ours), time of leaving, signature, total hours of care for each day.
Does anyone else do this much?
I write child's name and contracted hours each day and parents sign once a week in the Saturday section of the page.
What do you do?

Kiddleywinks
02-12-2013, 06:50 AM
Attendance records show the actual hours minded children are with you not contracted hours.
Eg: X is contracted from 7am to 6pm, but for a week, is collected earlier and one day very early, at 3pm, you take advantage of finishing early and pop to the supermarket.
3 days later you receive a visit from Ofsted saying they've received a complaint that you left a minded child alone in a car whilst you went shopping. Complainant says child was alone in car from 5pm to 5.45pm. You can't call the parents as they've gone abroad for 2 weeks.
How are you going to prove to Ofsted the complaint is fabricated and that the child wasn't even with you at the time?
Your own records on that day show the child was with you till 6pm....

You need to show child name/age/arrival time/departure time
Anything else is a bonus

Simona
02-12-2013, 07:07 AM
A colleague says we should have six columns in our book: name, time of arrival, signature, (theirs or ours), time of leaving, signature, total hours of care for each day.
Does anyone else do this much?
I write child's name and contracted hours each day and parents sign once a week in the Saturday section of the page.
What do you do?

I think that Kiddliwinks has put this in a very concise and clear manner about the 3 items required in a register...I totally agree anything else is added unnecessary red tape
CMs can also have a joint register with all children's names on it not single sheets...like a school
Avoid extra paperwork if not required!! :thumbsup:

hectors house
02-12-2013, 07:31 AM
It sounds like your colleague has seen the PACEY attendance register - This shows name, time of arrival & departure, any hours when the child wasn't with you eg: at Pre-school, doctors appointment, total number of hours and space for childminder and parent to sign at the end of the week.

miffy
02-12-2013, 07:44 AM
I make my own attendance sheets and have done for years - mine are split into morning and afternoon and have times of arrival and departure for both - I find this is easier for before and after schoolers who arrive and leave twice a day.

I agree attendance records should show actual times the children are with you not their contracted hours. I don't get parents to sign them.

Miffy xx

jadavi
02-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Thanks

Parents not signing?
Anyone else do this?

My colleague says she writes actual hours of care at the end so the parents can see iif they have been late. My colleague charges £1 for extra hours in the next invoice.

AliceK
02-12-2013, 09:58 AM
I used to get parents to sign but it was a pain so I stopped a long time ago now.
I have a monthly sheet for each child and each day has AM & PM. I write in their actual attended times to the minute. Mrs O was happy with this.
xxxx

rickysmiths
02-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Thanks

Parents not signing?
Anyone else do this?

My colleague says she writes actual hours of care at the end so the parents can see iif they have been late. My colleague charges £1 for extra hours in the next invoice.

I always have my parents sign each week. I use the Pacey Attendance register and so all children have their own page each month.

I have never had a problem with parents signing and it has saved the day when a parent did make a Complaint to Ofsted, I was able to copy the page of the Register which blew out of the water the parents accusation, had the parent not signed I could not have done that and it was much easier to copy and send with no other children's records on it.

I have to say I would always recommend a page per child and parents signing weekly even though it is not a requirement legally.

clairer
02-12-2013, 11:04 AM
I use the PACEY attendance record. Makes things really easy.

Kerry30
02-12-2013, 01:49 PM
I do my own attendance reg to. And a seperate one for each child. It has week beg across the top, days of the week down the side. Each day is split into 3 boxes (am,pm and no of hrs). Theres a space to sign at bottom for me and parent (dont no why i sign!). I write in exact times. Ofsted were happy with it. I think its better to keep them to individual children cos they can be then stored with that childs contract etc. At least that way its more to hand if u need it.

jadavi
02-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Thanks

I will keep parents signing once a week then but add up hours every day and write exact times.

Bluebell
02-12-2013, 08:53 PM
I have made my own - they have columns as follows

1) DAY
-------------2) name and DOB 3) contracted hours 4) actual hours 5) signed/notes

I can put all the children under each day and Ofsted can see at a glance their DOB and work out if I was within my numbers by the times that they were with me. The top of the sheet I put the date 'week commencing' and the day, child's name, DOB and contracted times are all pre-filled in and then if there is a difference I make a note in the 'actual hours' likewise anything that I need a note of I put in the notes - I never get anyone to sign.

I leave a gap under each day so if I have an extra child or a visitor I can add them in with their times and put in the notes who they are or why they were there (ie prospective parent, support visit, assistant)

If I ever had a parent query the hours I would get them to start signing so it would be agreed at the time of drop-off collection.

In my notes I've started making notes about trips we make, times little ones had sleep (on the day I have a 1 and a half hour overlap / exception and it takes into account that 2 of the children always sleep for 2 hours in afternoon during that time) any thing that happens worth noting. I'd like to know where I am on what days in case I ever need to know in case of complaint - thats due to advice from on here.

tigwig
02-12-2013, 09:07 PM
I suppose my way isnt the most professional but I just have an exercise book and roughly draw columns and write down all the children's times each week. I get 2 weeks per page and if im honest it could look neater but as far as im concerned the eyfs only asks you to keep a written attendance record and it is! I dont put ages nor do I get parents to sign. I do circle the time if they are late though just so its easier to check back on.

Bluebell
02-12-2013, 09:16 PM
my left hand side which is pre-typed and printed off is very neat - the bit with my scribbles, adjustments and notes it definitely does not look neat!! I wish it did look neat.

tas
02-12-2013, 09:36 PM
I use an A5 diary for everything including recording actual arrival/departure times, I don't get parents to sign

Ali56
02-12-2013, 09:39 PM
I just use a large organised mum calendar. All the children who attend on each day are listed with their times of arrival and departure. In the front of the calendar all children are listed with their D.O.B, contracted hrs, emergency phone numbers and a link to which surgery they are registered with (this is in addition to all their standard admission files)
There is plenty of space on each calendar month to record any additional info req'd.
Ofsted were happy with that :0)