PDA

View Full Version : bottom wiping

yummyripples
29-11-2013, 09:20 PM
Should a five year old girlie in reception be able to wipe her own bottom after a number 2? Have only just started doing the school run and was a bit surprised to be asked to wipe it for her x

loocyloo
29-11-2013, 09:33 PM
I would surely hope so!

I have a 2 3/4 yr old mindee who wipes her own bottom! she would be mortally offended if I suggested I helped!

they soon learn that if they haven't wiped properly they get sore!

Jenna
29-11-2013, 09:36 PM
My ds is in pre school (this is attached to the school) he's just turned 3. He has to wipe his own bum, nose, take jumper off if he needs to and all sorts. They like them to be very independent. At 5 I would expect them to do it them selves however I feel 3 is still very young.

Shamai
29-11-2013, 09:37 PM
I think she should be able to by age 5 but I suppose it depends on what is expected of her at home. My DD is 5 and has been independent in the toilet since she was 4. I am also sure the school staff are not allowed to assist in the toilet so maybe have a chat with Mum, she may be pulling a fast one! I've got a 5yo boy mindee who still sits to do a wee which I find unusual but his Mum said that's what he wants to do so I obviously go along with what she says :huh:

Mrs Scrubbit
29-11-2013, 09:44 PM
My mindee who has just turned 3 can sort herself out, but it really does depend on what is done at home as they can't do something if they have never been encouraged to give it a try xx

Smiley
29-11-2013, 10:06 PM
I care for a little boy who was three last week and he sorts himself out come to think of it all the children I've ever had have managed some with a little encouragement

Jods
29-11-2013, 10:14 PM
apart from the odd pant slide (skiddy for the non lady types) never needed too x

clareelizabeth1
29-11-2013, 10:25 PM
My niece is in school will be 5 in April and refuses point blank to wipe her own bum . She will hold it all day at school and will wait till mum or dad are with her. I refused to and made her do it herself and she now holds it in at mine too. I would be happy to help if she would try. She is slightly cack handed though so I think that doesnt help. I do believe they should start tryingwhen then start wearing pants though.

shortstuff
29-11-2013, 10:29 PM
Ive had differing abilities here. All of my mindees sort themselves out but I did emergency cover for 1 week. Lo told me he was going to the loo. 2 minutes later I walk past n hes on all 4's expecting me to wipe for him lol. It was a real eye opener lol x

Koala
29-11-2013, 10:34 PM
My niece is in school will be 5 in April and refuses point blank to wipe her own bum . She will hold it all day at school and will wait till mum or dad are with her. I refused to and made her do it herself and she now holds it in at mine too. I would be happy to help if she would try. She is slightly cack handed though so I think that doesnt help. I do believe they should start trying when then start wearing pants though.

I bet she'd do it for a lolipop or a mcdonalds and if nobody else did it for her (mum and dad), she would d o it herself - good for you refusing to do it, mum and dad need to let their baby grow up too, cack handed or not we all learn to do it in our own way.

watford wizz
30-11-2013, 06:42 AM
Baby wipes in a special "big girl/boys" wipes box helped me motivate older child to achieve this as struggled with dry loo roll x but yes I would expect them to be doing it themselves at 5. Holding it for a whole day at school though is not good!

maisiemog
30-11-2013, 07:58 AM
My 5 yo dd can wipe herself but due to her medication can have quite sticky poo and doesn't always get it off so likes us to check it for her! We don't wipe, just tell her it needs more doing. We have also found baby wipes help make it easier for her as well! They won't wipe a child bum at school so they need to be able to do it by then really.

Mummits
30-11-2013, 05:58 PM
I've also been surprised this term by a 5 year old still asking to have her bottom wiped. I did try to say she should have a go for herself, but then the other kids piled in offering to do it, which I didn't think I should allow! We have compromised with she has a go and then I check.

line6
30-11-2013, 06:21 PM
We have flushable wet wipes for the little ones to use. Much easier. My 3 1/2 year old is learning to take care of herself in this respect as she will be going to school next year. Definitely something they should be able to do for themselves once they are at school.

greanan
30-11-2013, 06:29 PM
I have a 6 year old mindee who still asks me to wipe his. He's more than capable so I refuse as he can do it himself. Depends what happens at home I suppose as his mum still does it for him

little chickee
30-11-2013, 06:30 PM
School age children need to be able to wipe themselves. I always use the summer holidays before they start school to get them to be doing it themselves. I have minded an 8 year old whose mum still wipes his bum!!

Zoomie
30-11-2013, 07:27 PM
I had a 5 year old mindee who struggled. I used to get her to do as much as she could, but I always ended up doing it otherwise the whole toilet roll ended up being used and job still not done. Child was a bit overweight and not well coordinated physically.

hectors house
30-11-2013, 07:33 PM
All part of my "school readiness" planning - I have a 4 year old mindee and a 3 1/4 year old mindee both are starting school next September so from this September I have been telling them they can wipe themselves but I will check - it may seem a little hard on the younger one but they are going to school at the same time and need to be able to deal with it. Before September I was still absent mindedly putting pelican type bibs on them but I pulled myself in line, decided that it's the parents who do the washing not me and the children need to learn where their mouths are!