PDA

View Full Version : advice needed about stopping breast feeding

ziggy
29-11-2013, 08:28 AM
As mentioned before I have a baby starting full time in january. He eats normal diet now, 3 meals plus snacks but mummy is still breastfeeding him on demand.

He is nearly 9months old now and wont take a bottle. He may have few sips from a cup but not alot. After being with me on Wednesday he was feeding most of the night. Mummy was exhausted yesterday and realises she cant do this in January so has decided to stop breast feeding.

So just wondered if he isnt getting breast milk will he take more from the cup? Bit worried he wont be getting enough fluids.

I think mummy is making right decision as she will be out for 10hours, husband works long hours and she has two other boys.

dawn100
29-11-2013, 08:55 AM
One I look after was bf until coming to me as wouldn't take a bottle and milk other than breast milk upset their stomach so mum just started cutting out day time feeds and ensured yogurts and dairy products were included in their meals so would only have breast milk first thing in the morning just before bed and then I think another one about 10pm. They have never had milk with me only water which they have happily taken, I just ensure meals contain dairy and they reguarly are drinking their water - we had no problems and have been here over 5 months. She was really concerned about not having milk during the day but thankfully spoke to a HV who just advised to ensure dairy was in meals and that with the feeds she was planning on doing would be plenty. So maybe your mum could gradually cut down on daytime feeds whilst still at home with her?

Kiddleywinks
29-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Could mum try expressing and using a cup to aid the transition?

My DD gave me up at about the same age - refused anything teat related from day one (my mistake for not introducing bottles earlier on ;)) but had been using an 'anyway up' cup and lid for a while with water in.
Initially she didn't like follow on milk, so I expressed and alternated her drinks, and after about a week was fine without me at all

ziggy
29-11-2013, 10:21 AM
thanks for replies, i'm more worried about him not getting enough liquids while he's with me for up to 10hours a day. He wont take a bottle and only has few sips from cup

am i right in thinking that when he is thirsty and realises breast not available he will drink from cup?

dawn100
29-11-2013, 10:46 AM
The one I have wouldn't drink water at home really until coming to me, at first I had one of those tommee tippee cups without a suction thing and would reguarly place in childs mouth and obviously a bit drips out and they soon started to drink from it by themself. Remember they don't need as much water as they would drink milk as milk is also a food. I think they quickly learn you don't have any breast milk to offer them and I think they do more easily accept an alternative from someone other than mum.

dawn100
29-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Forgot to say I also ensured the meals I offered for the first few weeks contained items which were high in liquid eg melon, strawberries, stews etc so they were also getting liquid from their diet not just from what they drank.

hectors house
29-11-2013, 12:56 PM
I had one at 6 months who wouldn't take milk from a bottle I just made sure that when eating meals I would do a spoonful of solids and a sip from tommy tippee cup, managed to get quite alot of liquid into him in a day until he would eventually drink properly from the cup. So would recommend that your parent starts cutting out a few day time feeds when he demands and sends her husband in to try to settle him occasionally during the night.

Been out with another childminder who said that one of her 2 year olds, still gets breast fed every 2 hours during the night - more fool the mother, if she just offered water when he woke up he soon wouldn't bother.

ziggy
02-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Baby here for afternoon, first time here with other baby as well.

Fed them and put them down to sleep, new baby cried for less this time and now both babies and the 3yr old are all fast asleep:)

hope it's a sign of things to come