PDA

View Full Version : sharing learning with home

Mrsh3103
29-11-2013, 08:13 AM
One of my reccomdations from my ofsted visit was to share more learning with parents.
I already give parents info on what I'm doing that week, get their input on what activities they'd like me to do, send resources home With the children, share next steps with parents and get them to take pics of their child doing activities from their next steps if they do them at home.

What else can I do? When I asked mrs o she didn't Have an answer as to what else I could do.

Help me. My mind has gone blank on what else I could possivly do!

loocyloo
29-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Goodness. I can't think of anything else! And as the inspector couldn't either it sounds like they were looking for an action!
Hope someone else can help ...

JCrakers
29-11-2013, 08:50 AM
Sounds like you do a lot already.... :rolleyes:

I use daily diaries to feedback to parents
send LJs home with progress summaries which have area for parents feedback
Verbally discuss things

That's about it I think. So you do more than me. Sometimes its just so picky what they action...its like they don't have anything to think of but have to put something down

Mouse
29-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Some of these actions are just plain daft. It sounds as if you do an awful lot already and I would struggle to come up with much else.

All I can really think of is sending more specific 'work' home if you don't already do so. For example, we have been reading The Night Before Christmas as our featured story. We read it every day and I prepare activities related to it - colouring sheets, matching pairs games, counting games, word bingo games etc. I'll send some of these home for the children to do, along with an ideas sheet to show how parents can use the resources.

I also send internet links. Sometimes it's to a YouTube video we've been watching (the children currently have a favourite alphabet song they like to watch) or to an article I think they will find interesting (for example, one on how children begin to recognise colours).

sarah707
29-11-2013, 08:59 AM
You do as much as most of us...

I add a little bit to my newsletters with activity suggestions most months ... maybe you could do that? :D

Simona
29-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Sharing learning with parents, the Home learning environment, sharing children's progress ...they are all part of the govt initiative to improve outcomes for all children...it is a very old subject and yes part of our inspections

Many will have heard E Truss refer to the EPPE project and the Home Learning Environment and also 'closing the gap' as it is found that at times disadvantaged children lag behind

There is also plenty of research into it ...it is basically 'supporting' parents in the way they teach their children
It is the reason why 'disadvantaged' 2 yo get 'free education'...to close the gap

It is a very 'sensitive' subject because we have learnt that parents are their 'children's main educator' that is true...but some parents may need 'support and encouragement' to make the Home Learning Environment effective for their children
for instance this is just an example...children may have language and communication difficulties...we can recommend games and books and then may find the children have no opportunity to access books because they have none...so we can suggest a visit to the library or mum reading a favourite book we may share.

So by all means we share LJs and activities but also tips to support parents without offending them or taking over their role...this is by no means 'homework'...just plain support

Home visits are very effective to look at the Home environment and what opportunities children have at home

I will try to find research into this subject and share...one came out recently from Ofsted where the statistics say that only 52% of children pass the test at the end of the EYFS....worth reading

dawn100
29-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Was this recommendation like you've been graded good but to be outstanding you need to do the following... I ask this because mine was my sef wasn't fully established - one of the first things she said to me was my sef was one of the most comprehensive sef's shed ever read, so I quizzed her about this and said it couldn't be fully established as I'd only been registered for 6 months and she went on a bit to say if she wasn't awarding me an outstanding she had to find something that I could improve on and if there was something else she could of said she would of but she didn't think there was anything else I could improve on.
So is this just a case of your ofsted inspector trying to find something that you can improve on but struggling to find anything?
Having said that you can't just dismiss it but acknowledge it in your sef and maybe try to find something you can add to what u are doing even if its only something minor you are still taking on board your recommendations.

Koala
29-11-2013, 10:50 AM
you could always stand on your head and stick a brush up you !!!!!! and sweep the floor at the same time - all for £3 an hour :D

I've had a hard week!!!

JCrakers
29-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Its all fine and dandy saying ' we must share information with parents' which I do, obviously :D I have fantastic relationships with all 10 sets that I work with, everyone knows they can approach me with any concerns and they are happy with updates and summaries that I do in the LJ. If I have any concerns with behaviour, we work together to resolve and any development issues would be spoken about.

But all the parents that I work with are busy people! Some work full time and some are families of 3 children. Some hardly have time in the evening to read the diaries that I write. Even this morning a Mum admitted that she reads it at the end of the week, due to working 5 days a week, having a 14m old and two older children of 18 and 14. So not only does she have family tea to make and bath time to sort out after she finishes work, she probably has homework to help with and problems that teenagers have.

She knows that her 14m old is happy because of his face in a morning when he arrives. Full of smiles! She wouldn't leave him here if he wasn't. She is exceptionally interested in his development and loves the LJ and comments I tell her about his day but she doesn't want to be bombarded with 'recommendations' from me, advising her to read to him, continue his interests at home and advising her what activities to do with him.
Even on the bottom of the summaries that I write I find it so difficult to put remarks about 'what to do at home'. These are busy, working families, trying hard to balance work and homelife, they don't need me advising them what to do

Rant over...and breathe :D

Simona
29-11-2013, 01:08 PM
My feeling is we are confusing 'sharing information' with helping parents in their Home Learning
I am sure the vast majority of cms do share information, Ljs, tips and activities but the aim is to get those parents, who may be unsure, encouraged and supported to develop effective parenting skills

We must remember parents are not 'trained' but do their utmost for their children...many may need help with behaviour management maybe or to be supported in how children develop...or how to deal with tantrums or boundaries

It is not just a question of sharing resources...it is much more than that
Reading the EPPE project would help a lot if anyone has the time...wonderful research and still very valid today.

Worth looking at the DfE guidance on HLE
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/181753/DFE-RR142.pdf

clairer
29-11-2013, 01:48 PM
It sounds like you are already doing loads!

What about compiling a photo album of the childcare environment and then sending it home for mum to pop family photos into.

Or an all about me booklet which can be shared with home. Mum can add some baby photos.

hectors house
29-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Do they take notice of recommendations on the next inspection, especially if it is a different inspector, sounds like she needed to give you something to improve on and so plucked that phrase from the top of her head. On my first inspection I had a recommendation to have a separate part of the garden for the dogs to the children, even though I assured the inspector that my dogs go out 2 or 3 times a day for a walk and my garden is not used as a dog toilet. I said this again to the next inspector and was told that was fine.

4 1/2 years ago on my inspection I had "need to work more with other settings", I have tried to work hard with Nurseries but I don't know info to ask for and they don't know what to give as at 3 Nurseries I have been told that I am the ONLY childminder to have requested a meeting with a key worker to discuss the child's learning and development. I don't know if the next inspector will pick me up on it or if they will have a "bee in their bonnet" about a different point.

Tulip
29-11-2013, 08:58 PM
you could always stand on your head and stick a brush up you !!!!!! and sweep the floor at the same time - all for £3 an hour :D

I've had a hard week!!!

Ah bless u, enjoy your weekend :)