PDA

View Full Version : Question not sure of the title

tori4
28-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Hi I'm after some advice

So I have 3yr boy (4 in feb) in general he meets all expected guidelines/ EYO

However both mum and I have noticed his ability to follow direction or instruction is not so gd. For example.

Can u pass me the book it's by ur foot? Child looks anywhere but his foot....

Today we were doing a sticker activity we have used these stickers before. I showed him how to peel off the back I even half did some for him ( all one -one) he tried to stick em straight onto the paper and they wouldn't stick ...

This activity I did earlier in the week with x2 2yrs and a 16mnth and they all got the idea spent ages completely engrossed in getting the bknoff.

Another example

got in the car been in twice already do this every time asked him to try and get seat belt on ( pull across and I plug in) he went to plug the opposite side seatbelt ?? He was sat in same set as always ...

Final example
Got talking abt same and different and he couldn't just kept saying "that one" ... I think he knew what was different but either was worried would get in wrong or didn't know how to say it.
He knows his colours but couldn't tell me one circle was orange the other purple until I asked what abt colours he said every other tidy difference before ie the pen mark left on the the circle we had just cut out.

No other concerns it's like he is missing the 'common sense' puzzle piece he looks at me completely blank as if I'm talking dbl Dutch ..

So my question...
Am I expecting too much ???? ( he is very tall, and able in other ways)

How can I support this next step?

I hope my examples make sense in my head they do ;-)

Thank in advance xT

AdeleMarie88
28-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Sounds like a 30month old I have. He is also really tall, people often think he is 3+yrs!

His speech isn't wonderful, although improving, but his physical ability is shocking. And if you give him an instruction to do with a physical skill, he just looks at me as if he has no idea what I am saying. For example when we come in from outside activity we have a routine of sitting in hallway and taking shoes and coats off, all the others can do it, but he just stands there, he won't even try wriggle his arms, just stands, open mouthed.

I am getting so frustrated, but I am not sure if he is tall, am I expecting him to do more, but I don't think so...he fails to meet the criteria for his age range in physical development. Having pin pointed this I am able to work much better on this area.

Maybe you need to look through observations and try and pin point any patterns, and then go from there. It's fantastic you have mom on side. Ask her if she notices this lack of common sense at any particular time. Perhaps try to give much more direct instructions, rather than saying pass me the book by your foot, just say, can you get me that book and point to it? Give him simple tasks that you know he can do, and praise him for it! Lots!

Try not to get too frustrated, keeping detailed observations are the key! X

Dragonfly
28-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Could he be tired? Some children take a bit longer than others, some are worried they will get things wrong so get a bit confused when asked about things, what are his parents like with him ? do they get cross/annoyed if things aren't done right?. could be a bit of attention seeking? I wouldn't worry but keep eye on things he is still young.