PDA

View Full Version : Advice for another cm

WibbleWobble
28-11-2013, 11:07 AM
A new cm has asked me about a little lad she looks after for 20 hours a week ( this is the mornings before he goes to nursery) Our DO has said she doesn't need to do anything for him learning journal wise. I am not so sure Who is right? Wibble xxx

karen m
28-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Well I would of thought she would still need to do a learning journal, in the past I have had children in morning sessions with me afternoons and vice versa and I have still done them and shared with nursery setting

WibbleWobble
28-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Well I would of thought she would still need to do a learning journal, in the past I have had children in morning sessions with me afternoons and vice versa and I have still done them and shared with nursery setting

I have said same but local cms are adamant the DO is right!

Wibble x

Mouse
28-11-2013, 11:25 AM
As far as I am aware she will still have to do some sort of development record. It doesn't have to be a LJ as that has never been compulsory, but she does need to demonstrate how she tracks his development, plans for him, works in partnership with the nursery etc.

How many hours is the child at nursery for? The cm could actually be the main carer is she does longer hours, so really nursery should be following her lead.

I'm afraid it's another example of cms being undervalued & disregarded. If even a DO looks on a nursery as being the more important provider, what chance have we got :panic:

bunyip
28-11-2013, 12:09 PM
I have said same but local cms are adamant the DO is right!

Wibble x

Perhaps you have a local CM group rather like mine. The CMs are all in thrall to the DO and think the sun shines out...................

Personally, I trust your judgment and think the other CM should do so too. But if she doesn't want to, then it's her neck.

Mouse
28-11-2013, 12:14 PM
Perhaps you have a local CM group rather like mine. The CMs are all in thrall to the DO and think the sun shines out...................

Personally, I trust your judgment and think the other CM should do so too. But if she doesn't want to, then it's her neck.

There's only so many times you can tell some people :rolleyes:

The DO should be the person you can trust to give you accurate information, but sadly many of us know from experience that that just isn't the case.

JCrakers
28-11-2013, 12:52 PM
I would definitely do one because 20hrs a week is a lot. Its not like its 2hrs before a nursery drop off once a week, 20hrs is a good amount of time to be knowing a child well and building up a LJ.

In fact all but 1 of my mindees come to me less than that.

23m old does mon&tues 8-5pm = 18hrs a week
4yr old mindee comes mon,thurs,fri 6hrs a day = 18hrs a week
42m old comes Thurs and fri 9-4pm = 14hrs a week
14m old comes weds only 9-5pm = 8hrs a week

Cant see why she would say not to do one?