PDA

View Full Version : chances of variation?

butterfly
17-07-2008, 08:32 PM
at the moment my reg. certificate states that i can look after 4 children under 8 with one being between 1 and 5. so i can't have one under one because of my 7mth old son. Does anyone know the chances of ofsted granting me a variation to have another child under one for say 2 days a week? obviously i would have to state how i would manage the care of both but do you think they would consider it? i know they consider it if it's twins or a younger sibling of a mindee but what about a totally new child?

sarah707
17-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Tbh it's not likely unless it's for continuity of care ... but nothing lost from asking.

I'd ring them first to check whether you're wasting your time applying.

08456 404040

Good luck! :D

taiwallis
17-07-2008, 09:01 PM
cant be certain but i tried it for 1.5 hrs a week so i could have a sibling after school (she is under 5 at a montessori nursery) - no hope in hell was a better way of them telling me what they did. they made me fill out a 6 page document about how i would provide continuity of care and then told me point blank no. i have an amazing ofsted report, so know it was not because i hadnt justified it. from what i understand they dont do it unless on exceptional circumstances ie: emergency care as it will set a precedent for all other childminders wanting to go over their numbers.

i might be wrong, just saying my experience.

xxx

NAOMIM221
18-07-2008, 08:46 AM
I sent a variance letter to ofsted about two weeks ago asking for the same variance, i've just got back off holiday and rang them and the inspector refused it.

As the others have said they will only consider the variance if they are twins or siblings.

So I'm a bit down and disapointed this morning, just left a message on the moms phone, its such a shame, we got on really well and she only lives nine doors from me, so it would have been ideal.

Its quite perplexing, I live on a new housing estate and all of the people on the estate are having children so getting loads of enquiries for under ones but because I have a 9 month old I can't take them on, otherwise I could be very busy.

Naomi

miffy
18-07-2008, 08:50 AM
I'd do as Sarah suggests - if you ask first it may save you a lot of time and effort

Miffy xx