PDA

View Full Version : New bed or airbed?

Handymum
27-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Hi I'm a new childminder and am now fully registered. I have a parent that would like me to look after her 5 year old boy at nights which I am happy to do. Thing is I'm not sure of two things

1. Do I have to buy a bed for the boy or is it ok to use a matress or airbed?

2. Other than my room the only other room to put the boy is in my 4 year olds girls room. Is this ok?

moggy
27-11-2013, 06:43 PM
There is no rule about who mindees can share a room with at night, but I would not put a mindee in with my own child- who knows what they might get up to -mucking about, disturbing each other in the night... and as they get older it could lead to awkward conversations or misunderstandings and privacy discussions which you really want to avoid. He could share a bedroom with you, have you discussed with parents? How do they feel about it?

Using a mattress or air bed it fine, no different to a travel cot for a baby! He has to have separate bedding, that is all.

JCrakers
27-11-2013, 08:56 PM
You could get a pull out mattress that slides under the bed?

I would think about a few things before saying yes. 4yr olds could share a room as they are young but as they get older will need a seperate space :thumbsup:

If you do get him to share a room with your dd, is she happy with this? This would be my first thought as my own children have always had their seperate space away from childminding.
If he shares a room with you, you wouldnt get any privacy and possibly a disturbed nights sleep

tas
27-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Personally if I didn't have a spare room I wouldn't offer overnight care, I don't think its fair on your daughter having the intrusion into her private space. But if it you really do want to offer overnights i'd prefer to have the daughter sharing in my room and give the boy her room

Handymum
27-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Thank you for your replies. I will probably just use the airbed I have and fresh bedding. Still need to think about if it's ok for my him to share a room with my daughter, but I'm not sure where else would be good to put him, my daughters room seems the most logical.

watford wizz
27-11-2013, 10:01 PM
You need to be very careful with room sharing, I often have children overnight but would follow previous comment and give minded child own room and have my child in with me.

Handymum
28-11-2013, 11:27 AM
I made the decision along with my husband that is best that my daughter sleeps on the airbed in my room and the boy in her bedroom. As it's only 2 nights a week my daughter is excited and is treating it as if she is camping out in my room. Haha. It all works out in the end. Thank you to everyone for their advice

Essbops
28-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Pretty sure mindees have to have their own room unless sharing with a sibling???? Maybe someone wiser than me can correct me but this what an inspector told me. Personally I wouldn't want anyone sharing my kids room anyway. Hope you find a solution :)

Handymum
28-11-2013, 11:39 PM
Pretty sure mindees have to have their own room unless sharing with a sibling???? Maybe someone wiser than me can correct me but this what an inspector told me. Personally I wouldn't want anyone sharing my kids room anyway. Hope you find a solution :)

I was told on my initial inspection that the children were ok to share as long as myself and parents were comfortable with that. I've decided that I'm not comfortable with daughter sharing with a boy, although they are young it feels weird to impose that on her. I do not want to turn away a potential client either so decided that my daughter would sleep in my room which she is more than happy about