PDA

View Full Version : What I don't like about this job

JCrakers
27-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Ive got 2 mindees today, both playing nicely now while I have a cuppa :)

Both the same (ish) age. Youngest (14m) has been walking around the furniture for weeks now and has just started to let go and stand on his own. He only attends 1 day a week so I don't really get to see him a lot.

About 10mins ago he let go and did 3-4 steps.........which is fantastic obviously, but I always have that question in the back of my mind 'was it his first time or has he done this before?' Mum didn't mention that he walked.

This is a huge development milestone and one that's for Mum to see so I cant bear telling Mum that he's just taken some steps in case she's not seen him do it. I would hate to miss my own children's first steps.:(

I'm going to keep quiet and not mention it as I cant bear to see Mums face if it was his first ones :blush:

Would you do the same or just tell her?

Koala
27-11-2013, 02:32 PM
I would keep quiet too. :thumbsup:

cathtee
27-11-2013, 02:33 PM
I'm the same, I normally don't tell parents when lo has taken a step for me but one parent wanted me to tell her when lo did, I would put it in lj and wait for mom to tell you excitedly that lo took first step

hectors house
27-11-2013, 02:48 PM
I would just say child thought about walking and almost took first step - then parent may say "oh sorry forgot to tell you, they have been walking for a week now"

kellyskidz!
27-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Keep quiet in case but mention 'he looked like he was going to set off walking today' and see what she says xx

Mouse
27-11-2013, 02:56 PM
I never tell parents when their child achieves a 'first'.

I write in the diary things like "X is so close to walking. I really though she was going to do it today. Please let me know as soon as she does!".

One lo was walking here for almost 2 weeks before she did it at home! A couple of days later I said I'd seen it for the first time ;)

bunyip
27-11-2013, 03:04 PM
1. The honest-but-not-necessarily-welcomed approach: "your child took her first steps today - shame you missed it."

2. The less-than-honest-but-totally-angellic approach: "she's so close to walking - please tel me when she takes her first steps."

3. The totally-calculated-evil-approach: wait until mum comes in gushing about her lo's first steps, then burst her balloon with a calm, "oh, really - she's been walking here for weeks." :D

(I think sometimes the power goes to my little head. :rolleyes:)

Mouse
27-11-2013, 03:17 PM
1. The honest-but-not-necessarily-welcomed approach: "your child took her first steps today - shame you missed it."

2. The less-than-honest-but-totally-angellic approach: "she's so close to walking - please tel me when she takes her first steps."

3. The totally-calculated-evil-approach: wait until mum comes in gushing about her lo's first steps, then burst her balloon with a calm, "oh, really - she's been walking here for weeks." :D

"less-than-honest-but-totally-angellic"

that's me :littleangel:

kellyskidz!
27-11-2013, 04:31 PM

Number 3 made me actually wince lol! Imagine how much that parent would have to annoy you before you broke out the Number 3 muhahahaha

Mummits
27-11-2013, 05:23 PM
I ask parents when they start whether they want honest or tactful!

MessybutHappy
27-11-2013, 05:32 PM
I'm quite likely to say a number 3 without thinking! Just my style..oops!
I reassure that I'll try really hard not to let the cat out of the bag, but sometimes I'm too honest for my own good!

LauraS
27-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Or as with my recently walking, much awaited 17 month old last week:

4. Say nothing on collection, planning to leave that 'first' for mum (especially seen as they have waited so long for it) only for older sibling to say nonchalantly 'mom x walking today'. Cue me blushing furiously as I had just told her he was very close to walking but not quite gahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Mummits
27-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Or as with my recently walking, much awaited 17 month old last week:

4. Say nothing on collection, planning to leave that 'first' for mum (especially seen as they have waited so long for it) only for older sibling to say nonchalantly 'mom x walking today'. Cue me blushing furiously as I had just told her he was very close to walking but not quite gahhhhhhhhhhhh.

I've had that too!

Bluebell
27-11-2013, 06:36 PM
ha ha bunyip you did make me chuckle

option 2 for me all the way!

munch149
27-11-2013, 07:24 PM
I think its kind of an unwritten rule with all childcare professionals that you keep quiet of a child takes there first steps with you

charlottenash
27-11-2013, 07:29 PM
I'd never thought of this, when minder took her first steps I immediately told her mum, I would feel a bit ashamed if I hadn't told her to be honest?

Minstrel
27-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Ashamed???

charlottenash
27-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I think I'd be ashamed of myself for keeping such a fantastic moment in a child's life to myself however I get why others do it.

I currently only have parents who are just happy their children are progressing, and are ahoy to hear of these things .

I imagine that when I get a parent who had the 'oh he didn't do it with ME' attitude I would think differently, the same as all of you lol!

sing-low
27-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Humpf. Mindee took first steps with Mum but hasn't with me - I feel so unloved!!!!:crying:

JCrakers
27-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Well it was dad at pick up and i said 'hes getting so strong now in his legs isnt he!'

He replied 'yes, its happened all of a sudden, he did a few steps yesterday'

Phew...lol

Tulip
27-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Fantastic! You worded it so well :)

Tulip
27-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Fantastic! You put that well :)

Tulip
27-11-2013, 09:06 PM
That looks stupid I've posted twice Doh :blush:

hectors house
27-11-2013, 09:44 PM
When my childminder once said "oh Emma has got another tooth", I lied and said "oh yes I saw that and forgot to tell you" as I was upset that I hadn't seen it first.

When I spotted my grandson's first tooth, I said nothing, later that evening my daughter said "oh look his tooth has finally come through", with that my son in law turned and gave me a knowing look and said "you knew didn't you" - I tried to bluff but he saw through me!