PDA

View Full Version : Polish and maths

Karen1
27-11-2013, 12:37 PM
I have just had a polish boy (4) starting primary in sept with me for 1.5 days a week, rest at nursery. Mum wants me to do more on his maths and reading skills, as can't do anything (she says).

I have only had him for settling, he is hard to understand.

I have asked mum to write me a list of polish words he uses and the numbers 1-10. Have checked the outcomes for what he should be doing.

He is the first child I have had who has a second language. So what else should I be doing?

Do I need dual posters up? How to increase his maths knowledge?

Am due my first ousted inspection soon, so want this to be perfect as it can be?

Any tips gratefully received.

Thank you

kel1983
28-11-2013, 01:06 PM
We have had a polish child with us now for a year and a half. She comes to us daily and is now nearly 4. But from the start mum has asked us to only speak English to her as she knew English would have to be her main language growing up.

Usborne books do a 100 words book which is great. It has translations of basic words and numbers. We bought this when she first started with us but didn't really use it.

Her English is perfect now although her parents have separated in the last year and her dad tends to talk to her in polish more and mum has started dating a Portuguese lad which could be interesting.

Karen1
10-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the reply.

He's been with me three times now, I have done some posters etc but he's not interested. Did some number cards as well but again not interested just wnats to play toy story!!

I constantly talk to him, so hopefully that will have an impact.

Will have a look for that us borne book.

Thanks for the tip.

Karen