PDA

View Full Version : feeling awful

ziggy
27-11-2013, 10:08 AM
as mentioned before i am taking on a baby in January, full time. He is still being breast fed, although he has 3 meals a day now as well.

Mummy left him this morning (his 3rd visit). He was all smiles and didnt mind her leaving, I also mind his 2 older brothers.

Mummy said he was tired, so after the school run i lay him in buggy for a sleep. Poor lamb screamed and cried and kicked till he eventually fell asleep after 20mins. I kept going to him and rubbing his tummy. It is so hard as he usually has breast feed to get him off to sleep

just feel awful and wish mummies would think about effect on their children when they decide to breast feed and return to work

sorry just needed to rant

samb
27-11-2013, 10:11 AM
I had little one the same but it was surprisingly quick how he adapted to routine at mine being different to home. He was 10 months when he started with me.

ziggy
27-11-2013, 10:13 AM
Thank you, I'm sure when he starts full time in January he will soon adapt, just felt so sorry for him this morning.

Tulip
27-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Poor you and poor baby, fingers crossed things will improve x

sing-low
27-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Oh that's so hard for you and for LO! Can you subtly mention to Mum that it might be a good idea to wean him off being breast-fed to sleep before January?

Tatjana
27-11-2013, 08:23 PM
I find this a really odd rant, I'm sure the mum thinks what's best for her lo as we all do. Crying for 20 mins is hardly the and of the world if mum and baby are enjoying BF....yes and even BF him to sleep. It's not going to last forever, why not leave it to stop naturally.

Or perhaps you could have given him a cuddle instead of leaving him to cry in a buggy with an ocassional tummy rub.

TraFerd
27-11-2013, 08:56 PM
It's perfectly normal for babies to be breast fed to sleep, little one will learn that he won't get breast milk whilst with you and might surprise you with how quickly he adapts. My little boy is still breast fed at 18 months, I feed to sleep but if my husband or mum put him to bed he goes to sleep no bother because he knows it's me that has the milk, not them.

tigwig
27-11-2013, 08:56 PM
I still have this now with a mindee over a year after she started! ! Its not always as easy as cuddling them to sleep either. In an ideal world that would be looking lovely but I don't have time to cuddle one particular child to sleep. I have to teach them to go to sleep on their own so I can clean up, sort the others out, have a wee, have my lunch, sort activities out, do some paperwork. .. and all that before someone else wakes up!

JCrakers
27-11-2013, 09:08 PM
I feel for you, its hard.

I had a baby who cried a lot and it would have been fantastic if i could have sat and cuddled to sleep but with two others its just not ideal. 1 mindee wanting the toilet, another pulling a box of toys on his head.
Was the mindee who needed the toilet expected to wait 20 mins while i sat with baby.

Its a hard job, having to split time between everyone and im sure little one will be fine after a few days :D

My 16m old mindee started back in feb and he had a bottle to fall to sleep with so i had to put him in the buggy so i could feed him and he could fall asleep. This way i had a spare hand to do other things...i couldnt hold him and feed him as he would wake up when i tried to get him into the cot... he had lots of cuddles all through the day though. If it was breast feeding, its so much harder and i always advise parents to try and get little one to take a bottle too.

ziggy
27-11-2013, 09:47 PM
I find this a really odd rant, I'm sure the mum thinks what's best for her lo as we all do. Crying for 20 mins is hardly the and of the world if mum and baby are enjoying BF....yes and even BF him to sleep. It's not going to last forever, why not leave it to stop naturally.

Or perhaps you could have given him a cuddle instead of leaving him to cry in a buggy with an ocassional tummy rub.

wasnt really a rant, just hated seeing him so upset. I think it is lovely mum is breast feeding but for the child's sake i think she should have introduced a bottle a long time ago, he wont take one now.

he cannot understand how for the last 8.5 months he has been helped off to sleep by breastfeeding and now when he is with me that has stopped.

I have tried giving him cuddle to sleep but he just gets distressed. I also have two busy 3yr olds and his 5yr old brother.

once he had his sleep we had a lovely morning BUT it will be the last time i take on a totally breast fed baby.

ziggy
27-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Oh that's so hard for you and for LO! Can you subtly mention to Mum that it might be a good idea to wean him off being breast-fed to sleep before January?

She was planning to do this but has now changed her mind

ziggy
27-11-2013, 09:51 PM
I still have this now with a mindee over a year after she started! ! Its not always as easy as cuddling them to sleep either. In an ideal world that would be looking lovely but I don't have time to cuddle one particular child to sleep. I have to teach them to go to sleep on their own so I can clean up, sort the others out, have a wee, have my lunch, sort activities out, do some paperwork. .. and all that before someone else wakes up!

I so agree, it would be impossible to cuddle anyone to sleep in my setting and it isnt something I want to start. I'm sure he will soon adapt but I just felt so sorry for him this morning. He was all smiles sitting up in high chair eating melon when mummy came back so all ended well

Tatjana
27-11-2013, 09:58 PM
wasnt really a rant, just hated seeing him so upset. I think it is lovely mum is breast feeding but for the child's sake i think she should have introduced a bottle a long time ago, he wont take one now.

he cannot understand how for the last 8.5 months he has been helped off to sleep by breastfeeding and now when he is with me that has stopped.

I have tried giving him cuddle to sleep but he just gets distressed. I also have two busy 3yr olds and his 5yr old brother.

once he had his sleep we had a lovely morning BUT it will be the last time i take on a totally breast fed baby.

BF and "introducing" bottles isn't black and white though, my 3rd son wouldn't take a bottle ever, nor would he or ever has drank any milk that wasn't breast milk...he's 3.5 now and still won't drink milk!

I'm just trying to say it's not always possible to do things which might seem simple.

I wasn't suggesting you cuddled him to sleep, a cuddle now and again....I had to do this today and no, it's not nice or easy to see lo's distressed.

He'll get there, hopefully sooner than later for all your sakes

hectors house
28-11-2013, 09:15 AM
My daughter went back to work when baby was just 8 weeks old - luckily she had the sense to express milk and feed him some breast milk in bottles right from when she came out of hospital - he accepted bottles during day from dad or me and breast milk from mum morning and night with no trouble- exactly as I did with my oldest when I went back to work when she was 6 weeks old (28 years ago).

yummyripples
28-11-2013, 10:55 AM
I don't think this only applies to breastfed babies. I have parents who cuddle their babies to sleep, take them out in the buggy or a drive in the car.
This even happens now even though the child falls asleep fine without me doing all that.
Sometimes parents love their children soooooo much they can't see that they are sometimes doing morr harm than good x

hectors house
28-11-2013, 11:01 AM
I don't think this only applies to breastfed babies. I have parents who cuddle their babies to sleep, take them out in the buggy or a drive in the car.
This even happens now even though the child falls asleep fine without me doing all that.
Sometimes parents love their children soooooo much they can't see that they are sometimes doing morr harm than good x

Had a mum complete an All About me form recently where she wrote "currently rock to sleep in pram - sorry!" - have had the 11 month old baby for 3 weeks now (part time) and like his brother 3 years before, he has already learnt to go into the travel cot awake and settle himself for sleep. The mum said "I knew you would do it for me, like you did with his brother, now I must carry on"

ziggy
28-11-2013, 03:32 PM
My daughter went back to work when baby was just 8 weeks old - luckily she had the sense to express milk and feed him some breast milk in bottles right from when she came out of hospital - he accepted bottles during day from dad or me and breast milk from mum morning and night with no trouble- exactly as I did with my oldest when I went back to work when she was 6 weeks old (28 years ago).

i agree, very sensible.

well, poor mum arrived here this morning with older 2 looking exhausted. Baby only had few sips of milk from a cup while with me, then was up 3 times in the night breastfeeding!!!!

It is entirely her choice and not my place to interfere but i did ask how she was going to cope with night feeds when she is doing a 10hour day (including travelling time), as well as making evening meal, doing home work with 5yr old and dealing with 3yr old. OH well it is her decision but in my humble opinion she is making life very hard for herself.

I am a great believer in breastfeeding (fed my own) but cant see how this is going to work for her when she returns to work