PDA

View Full Version : Warming up a chikd

jadavi
27-11-2013, 02:25 AM
I am sharing the benefit of a mistake we made this week.
Child (of one year old) had very bad nappy rash and we regularly leave him without happy for 15 mins which works wonders.
All his mates had gone out in the garden to play which he loves and was missing out.
We put him in a thin rain suit zipped up without nappy figuring he could still enjoy a spell outdoors and wash the suit after.(thick jumper on) wellies etc hat.
Only out for ten mins but lost body heat.
Gave warn milk put warm clothes on sat by fire and cuddled.
Fine when mum came felt warmer - just .( only Ten mins later)
Next week she said he'd been really off all night cold and not himself. (Upset with us)
Talking about it - biologist husband says the clothes were trapping in his cold (hour long journey home in maybe not warm car)
Should have had less clothes and had warm bath either with us or at his home.maybe he didn't stay warm once he left us and his core heat couldn't get higher to cause him to feel ''really off' all evening.
Thought I'd share in case you ever need to warm up a child
In retrospect it was clearly a dumb thing for us to do in the first place :(

watford wizz
27-11-2013, 06:44 AM
Thanks for being honest and sharing, glad LO is ok. I'm sure your doing a brilliant job and parents will soon calm down. You were clearly trying to do your best and not leave him out of fun activity whilst also trying to meet his individual needs x x

jadavi
27-11-2013, 07:08 AM
Thank you ww! I hope they see it like that !

hectors house
27-11-2013, 07:20 AM
Sorry that your best efforts to make sure this child didn't miss out have backfired - I wouldn't have thought that 10 mins outside wearing all normal clothing apart from trousers would have caused him to get so cold either.

At my local swimming pool a few weeks ago we had a full evacuation from the pool and I was outside in a wet swimsuit with wet hair and bare feet,standing on freezing concrete wrapped only in a small foil sheet for 10 minutes - but once I got my clothes back on I was fine - I went down with a shocking cold the next day with may have been caused by it but there again all the mindees and the rest of my family already had coughs and colds, so maybe it was just my turn.

FussyElmo
27-11-2013, 10:11 AM
I must admit Im also confused why you sending out a child fully clothed wrapped up but without a nappy has lead to the child losing body heat.

jadavi
27-11-2013, 05:25 PM
I think he weed in the thin rain suit which made his bottom half cold. He's a skinny lad of one year old.
Mum is fine about it now.

MessybutHappy
27-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Well done you for sharing.
The method of his loosing heat is probably not as relevant as the lesson in what to do or not to do if it happens!
:thumbsup: