PDA

View Full Version : An Ipad for babies...whatever next?

Simona
26-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Can you believe this?
Newborn-to-Toddler Apptivity (http://www.fisher-price.com/en_US/brands/babygear/products/78030)

Supernanny86
26-11-2013, 11:35 PM
I actually can't believe this exists!!! Very sad! :(

littlemiss60561
26-11-2013, 11:44 PM
Who needs physical interaction anyway?! Schools will be probably be plug in and learn by the time this generation are 4/5 too...
:0(

ja-lula-belli
27-11-2013, 06:41 AM
My goodness I actually laughed when I saw this however it's not funny really it's so sad. I know children like the colours and movements of TVs etc. But come on! The most important thing is human interaction. How can they say there is a problem with children growing up imprint of TVs and computer and then create something like this? Needless to say Fisher price will say it's not ment for the baby to be put it all the time. Yeah right!
I think it's great the resources that are out there today and I am one of those households that have the latest technology but imonitor there uses very closely.
Sorry I feel quite strongly about that!
Lolx

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

Glitter
27-11-2013, 06:44 AM
Surely no parent would buy this.

But my 12 year old daughter, who wants a tablet for Christmas, has asked if they sell a bigger version for her as her arms might get tired holding her new tablet!

munch149
27-11-2013, 09:08 AM
You would be suprised how many people would buy this. Anything to keep them quiet and not much different to sticking them in front if the telly all day. May even be better once they can interact with it

Tulip
27-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Stupid but I bet they sell loads :(

Rubybubbles
27-11-2013, 07:18 PM
I saw a child in the pram at my local school on iPad, he looked tiny and was whiz zing around on it

Scary

emma04
28-11-2013, 08:57 AM
In all fairness these responses are probably the same ones voiced by the current elderly generation when the following arrived:

Tv's with more than 3 channels
Cassette players
Atari
Computers
The internet
Cd's
Mobile phones
Flat screen Tv

I agree it is scary but it's evolution of technology and it'll never stop!

Simona
28-11-2013, 10:18 AM
In all fairness these responses are probably the same ones voiced by the current elderly generation when the following arrived:

Tv's with more than 3 channels
Cassette players
Atari
Computers
The internet
Cd's
Mobile phones
Flat screen Tv

I agree it is scary but it's evolution of technology and it'll never stop!

I have nothing against the evolution of technology and I feel that children should access IT in order to become competent...as long as it is educational and not an obsession and it is well balanced.

What is at stake here is not the technology but the age of the child it is aimed at...babies... and the commercial benefit for those who invent it the gadget and now sell it for Christmas!!

There is absolutely no point in spending millions worldwide for developing 'communication and language' in children and funding research telling us they are arriving at school not able to speak properly if we condone this type of thing?

The worrying thing about this gadget is that babies will be stuck in that sitting position for hours staring at a screen very close to their eyes and unable to interact with a face on the other side of the screen

It's a small world
28-11-2013, 12:04 PM
My mindee is getting a mobile this year (3yo) because they play games on parents phone- what about an innotab or a vtech. I know it may not be as cheap but surely to get a phone that plays games or will either have to be an expensive phone or a monthly payment one ( maybe wrong as not 100% sure) but still think a mobile for a 3 yo is not right ( wont be coming to my settings thats for sure)

What about traditional games why does everything have to be high tech . We played snakes and ladders the other day and I was shocked my 6yo mindee didn't know how to play it !!!

bunyip
28-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Sadly, this shocks but does not surprise me.

I'm about to embark on another season of acting Santa for various settings/venues. It's a constant stream of children wanting a DS for Christmas, when most of them couldn't even spell DS. :(

Kerry30
28-11-2013, 12:32 PM
My dd had a tablet for her 7th b'day earlier this year but for christmas she has asked for board games because she ' wants someone to play them with her' (shes outgrown alot of the orchard games we've got). Unfortunatley some children have so much technolgy they dont no how to play.

Simona
29-11-2013, 11:23 AM
If you feel strong enough about the baby Ipad you can sign this petition

http://www.change.org/petitions/fisher-price-stop-selling-the-fisher-price-ipad-apptivity-seat?share_id=hiJBrZcqzH&utm_campaign=twitter_link_action_box&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=share_petition

dawn100
29-11-2013, 01:06 PM
I think with things like this I'm not completly against it, it all depends how you use it and how long for - in moderation is the key. If you put baby in there whilst you prep tea, help a sibling with their homework or have a shower I see it no different to putting them in front of the tv or with a mobile type thing going. (I'm talking about a parent doing this not me as a childminder) there are plenty of things around already that you can just stick a child down in front of.
My 3 kids all love technology and have used it from a young age and my dd4 can turn on laptop log into her name and get onto the cbbeeies website by herself, has been able to use iPads since she was 2, technology is around us everywhere I think the key is the balance between how much time is spent using technology and doing other stuff, we make sure we still do trational stuff like building dens in the woods and playing board games but sometimes gadgets are great when you need to keep a child amused for a bit whilst you get on with other stuff.