PDA

View Full Version : hot or cold meal at lunch time?

Kidston
26-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Im in the process of writing my sample menu and wanted input on what other cms do.
Do you prefer to serve a hot meal at lunch time like casserole and mash and then a smaller cold meal at tea time like a sandwich and salad or the other way round?

AdeleMarie88
26-11-2013, 09:14 PM
I have lunch that could either be hot or cold, so veggie pasta bake for example, and then evening meal is hot. I have more time to prepare hot evening meal, but I am also aware with it being so cold, we do get back from morning activity earlier, so if I think little ones need warming up, then I will pop lunch in the oven xx

ja-lula-belli
26-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Same here all my evening meals are hot and now winter has come around most of my lunches and snacks are hot too. I Suss out what the kids want. I have started giving the children a small cup of soup with their fruit snacks as it's so told on the school run and sometimes toast or crumpets with fruit. In summer it changes as yoghurt and fruit is fine. With lunches sandwiches and lighter things as quite often it's too hot to handle hot meals during the day.

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

MessybutHappy
26-11-2013, 10:14 PM
I swap about as the mood takes me! They will get one hot meal a day if they're here long enough!

Supernanny86
26-11-2013, 10:35 PM
I'm the same, totally depends on the day and what were doing! But they get at least one hot meal! And aslong as they get all required nutrients don't see it as a big deal!

And anyways, places don't like heating food now so it's difficult if out! I had to sign a disclaimer for a meal to be heated up in a garden centre the other day!!

Stapleton83
26-11-2013, 10:56 PM
I mix and match too it depends on what we are doing, the weather and what I have planned for the main meal

Sam x

Koala
26-11-2013, 11:13 PM
Generally I serve a hot meal at lunch time - might have hot at tea time might not.

Glitter
27-11-2013, 06:50 AM
Normally a cold lunch, unless I decide to do beans on toast, soup, or jacket potato.

I found a hot lunch was taking to long to cook and wash up, especially in the holidays when I had up to six older children. I don't offer evening meals as I close at 6pm and I feel it is important children eat with their families in the evenings.

mama2three
27-11-2013, 07:07 AM
I always do a hot evening meal , and that is usually on the menu board.
Lunchtimes are more flexible ( or possibly haphazard!!). It depends what we are doing , where we are , what the weather is like , moods ( mine and the childrens!) Hot lunches are never complex though - maybe soup or pasta etc. I spend long enough preparing and cooking a full evening meal without doing the same at lunchtime.

loocyloo
27-11-2013, 08:05 AM
we usually have a hot meal for tea ( unless its summer and we're having salad! )

lunch can be anything from sandwiches to beans on toast to soup to left overs from the night before! also depends what we are doing/going to do!

ziggy
27-11-2013, 08:20 AM
I dont do meals. All mine bring lunch boxes (or something i can re-heat in microwave). We have fruit, toast etc after school run then they all have evening meal at home.

I found it very stressful cooking while having toddlers about, then got fed up of amount of wasted food.

Life much easier now parents provide food

jackie 7
27-11-2013, 08:25 AM
i do hot lunch and cold tea. tea might be sandwiches or beans or sausages.

dawn100
27-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Lunchtimes are generally cold but in winter I do add hot lunches but they are simple meals like soup, omelettes, toast, toasted sandwiches or sometimes reheated meals from the night before, but I always point out to parents whilst I provide more hot lunches in the winter I won't guarantee it as I like to be able ti be flexible and sometimes will be out at lunchtime so like to be able to pack it up in a lunch box and take with us. I don't plan a menu as I can find at the start of the week I might plan to go out for the day on wed with a picnic but wed comes its pouring with rain so change my day out to Friday so I like to be flexible in the meals I provide and not feel like I'm stuck to a menu, unlike a nursery I personally know all my childrens like and dislikes and favourite meals without having to look on a sheet. (Sorry didn't mean to go off on a rant about menus but when I first registered I was told I needed to provide parents with a menu which I did but then after some research found out not everyone does and around here lots don't.)