PDA

View Full Version : How can i stop parents bringing a ill child.

chels55
25-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Last week I sent home a child who vomited. Grandad picked him up and mum phoned after work and mentioned he'd been ill for over a week!! My little one is very poorly now and I'm closed, got piles of bills and Christmas presents to buy but no money coming in. They all have copies of my sickness policy which states the 48 hour rule and remind them regularIy. It's not the first time, this has happened with other children they just don't tell me, I usually find out from the older siblings after school that the little one was sick and 'had medicine in the morning coz mum had to go to work'. Even had one before school who said 'my mum can't just have a day off when I'm ill, she needs the money for our holiday and shes wasting money when I don't come here'-( this child is no longer with me)

Bluebell
25-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Last week I sent home a child who vomited. Grandad picked him up and mum phoned after work and mentioned he'd been ill for over a week!! My little one is very poorly now and I'm closed, got piles of bills and Christmas presents to buy but no money coming in. They all have copies of my sickness policy which states the 48 hour rule and remind them regularIy. It's not the first time, this has happened with other children they just don't tell me, I usually find out from the older siblings after school that the little one was sick and 'had medicine in the morning coz mum had to go to work'. Even had one before school who said 'my mum can't just have a day off when I'm ill, she needs the money for our holiday and shes wasting money when I don't come here'-( this child is no longer with me)

I've just had a similar situation. Check your policies and your contracts. My policy states no child should come when they feel unwell, are contagoius or are unable to join in. If they have had sickness or diarrhea in last 48 hours they should not come. There is a phrase in my policy stating that if I become ill I may have to close which will inconvnience them at a later date - which has obviously happened to you!

Because of what happened to me (and some other things) I have been checking the wording of my contract - it says I can terminate the contract with no notice if - the parent does not follow the policies (in this case the sickness policy) and if the child is sent when knowingly unwell. It is a PACEY contract so may help you out if that was a route to follow.

I would make a point of resending the policy and emphasising that you feel that in this situation sending a poorly child into your setting has resulted in you having to close the business and therefore losing money.
It's a shame we can't bill them for our lost earnings - maybe we should suggest PACEY write that into the contracts! loL!

Roseolivia
25-11-2013, 04:32 PM
I don't think the 48hr policy is that useful. I had an afterschool mindee come back after 48hr last Wednesday and we've still caught his stomach bug so have had to close today and tomorrow.

loocyloo
25-11-2013, 06:13 PM
I don't think the 48hr policy is that useful. I had an afterschool mindee come back after 48hr last Wednesday and we've still caught his stomach bug so have had to close today and tomorrow.

Hope you all feel better soon.

I have a highlighted statement in my policies that says " if an ill child is sent and my family or I catch the bug, resulting in my closure and thus inconveniencing other families, I may consider charging a fee " . I have never implemented it but feel better knowing it's there and I could if I wanted to! Not that that helps you Roseolivia will still catching a bug after 48 hrs

Bluebell
25-11-2013, 09:11 PM
I agree with this sentiment 100% and would certainly be keen to do it due to the blatant lack of concern for you and other children.
However, when bugs are going round - as they naturally do especially it seems at this time of year - it would be hard to prove where your bug actually came from and force payment.

Having said that I would go with the 'knowingly sent an unwell child' clause in my contract and end contract - then potentially they would be really stuffed!

KatieFS
26-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Very very naughty! Showing a lack of concern for you and your family. If children are poorly they need to be at home! I do feel sorry for parents as we've all been there with poorly kids and you need to get to work/stuff to do. It is parents responsibility to look after their children!

I have poorly child again thankfully they've kept her off. All mine have had nasty chesty coughs from I suspect same little one. It is very frustrating and I'm starting to accept part of the job that you pick up coughs and colds more often as littlies often have them!

It's a small world
26-11-2013, 11:41 AM
What i dont understand is why send a sick child because you cant have time off work ? If medicine wears off and child is sick you will be contacting parent to collect so will end up having to have time off anyway . On top of that if we then get it we then have to close which is more time off for parent as we are not available . Isn't it common sense to have child off 48 hrs rather than risking 4-5 days off when we have to close . I have it in my policy if parent knowingly sends a sick child and we become ill as a result they may be liable if i have to close. Never used it but again hope its a deterrent . Cant always guarantee finding out from parent if a child has been ill but the honesty of siblings is great i mean why would they lie !!!

Tealady
26-11-2013, 11:59 AM
What i dont understand is why send a sick child because you cant have time off work ? If medicine wears off and child is sick you will be contacting parent to collect so will end up having to have time off anyway . On top of that if we then get it we then have to close which is more time off for parent as we are not available . Isn't it common sense to have child off 48 hrs rather than risking 4-5 days off when we have to close . I have it in my policy if parent knowingly sends a sick child and we become ill as a result they may be liable if i have to close. Never used it but again hope its a deterrent . Cant always guarantee finding out from parent if a child has been ill but the honesty of siblings is great i mean why would they lie !!!

Because some employers aren't very sympathetic or are untrusting.

It can look better on an employee to have to leave half way through the day after a call from her CM rather than just phone in that morning to say they won't be in as DD/DS is unwell. Especially this time of year when people are wanting to do shopping for Christmas.

helendee
26-11-2013, 03:42 PM
I am about to amend my sickness policy to excluding any children presenting with chesty coughs. I am asthmatic and really prone to chest infections and one little mindee has managed to give me an awful bout which was verging on turning into pneumonia, and infected my four month old granddaughter so that she ended up in hospital with bronchiolitis!

I will take them with a cold but the first sign of a chesty cough and they are off! :(

Rubybubbles
26-11-2013, 03:55 PM
I've sent one home today, 15 months fell asleep on school run, 2 hour nap. Then woke up in foul mood snotty crying won't eat (having been old refused breakfast)

Normally I plug through but temp and coughing too

Parents not impressed but child was 'off colour yesterday too' and dad old me when he collected that lo didn't eat tea last night either

Needless to say the back door got wise open to blow the house through whilst the other Los sleeping!

Rubybubbles
26-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Told not old in ^^^^ lol