PDA

View Full Version : not cm related but need advice

Mrsh3103
25-11-2013, 08:37 AM
My ds is 5. He is always tired and grumpy, he complains of headaches constantly and catches every illness going so easily. I've had him to the drs hundreds of times but they can't find anything wrong. He has major problems with pooing, the dr keeps prescribing laxatives but these aren't working either.
I have come to the conclusion it is his diet so I need some advice.
I cook healthy meals and 9 times out of 10 we have veg with it. He refuses to even touch the meal unless it's pasta or pizza! Last night we had a roast dinner he chose to go to bed instead of eat any of it :(

He goes to his dads 2/3 evenings a week for his tea and I think this is where the problem is. He will take him out each evening to mcdonalds, burger king, kfc or pizza hut. I've yried telling him he needs to be feeding him better and not to take him out for dinner all the time. So he cooked him chicken nuggets and chips at home!!!! He is a fantastic dad (apart from this)
Has anyone got any advice?

Mouse
25-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Does he drink plenty of water? Dehydration could be a cause of headaches, grumpiness, tiredness & constipation.

When you say you cook meals with veg all the time, but he refuses to eat it unless it's pizza or pasta, what does he eat? Do you make him something else, or does he go without?

When you're trying to change a child's eating habits you need to do it in small stages. Pizza and pasta can be the base of a very healthy meal, so I wouldn't try stopping them completely if he likes them. Instead, try to make them healthier. Have you tried making home-made pizza with him, getting him to chop & add veg himself? If you don't have time to make your own pizza dough, you can buy ready made ones. Use tinned tomatoes for the topping & set out little bowls of veg for him to add himself (sweetcorn, onions, mushrooms, pineapple etc). Even if he just added one thing to start with it's a move in the right direction.

The same with pasta. What does he usually have with it? I'll often make just a pan of plain pasta and have a selection of chopped veg for the children to add - cucumber, cherry tomatoes, spring onions, sweetcorn. It looks inviting and it might just make him decide to try something.

Sounds easy, doesn't it? But as someone who's 21yr old son still won't touch vegetables, you have my every sympathy!

Mrsh3103
25-11-2013, 10:10 AM
I've tried getting him to make his open pizza/pasta but that hasn't worked. He will only eat pizza if it's just cheese and his pasta has to be plain!
If he won't eat he has to sit until the rest of us have finished. I don't offer anything else.
He drinks quite alot of water during the day. I've stopped letting him have drinks 30mins before a meal as I think he was filling up on water and that wasn't helping. He can have a small glass if he is really thirsty though.
Im seriously struggling with him. His behaviour has changed quite dramatically in the last few months too. He's gone from being a really nice well behaved little boy to an absolute nightmare :(

jillplum
25-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Will he eat fruit? Drink orange juice? The usual things to sort out poos is fibre, water and excercise. Constipation can cause all of the symptoms you listed. How about baked beans? Wholemeal bread? Wholemeal pasta and pizza bases. Good luck

smurfette
25-11-2013, 12:09 PM
I've tried getting him to make his open pizza/pasta but that hasn't worked. He will only eat pizza if it's just cheese and his pasta has to be plain! If he won't eat he has to sit until the rest of us have finished. I don't offer anything else. He drinks quite alot of water during the day. I've stopped letting him have drinks 30mins before a meal as I think he was filling up on water and that wasn't helping. He can have a small glass if he is really thirsty though. Im seriously struggling with him. His behaviour has changed quite dramatically in the last few months too. He's gone from being a really nice well behaved little boy to an absolute nightmare :(

I have one who won't eat cheese but I find if I melt it in to hot pasta uou can't see it and he eats it. With pizza I would make your own and
Blend the veggies into the tomato sauce. . Indetectable!

smurfette
25-11-2013, 12:11 PM
I have one who won't eat cheese but I find if I melt it in to hot pasta uou can't see it and he eats it. With pizza I would make your own and Blend the veggies into the tomato sauce. . Indetectable!

If he is constipated Cheerios and weetabix are high in fibre and we switched everything to whole grains.. Best of both bread,
Whole meal pasta etc . My little
One likes raisins so a box a day. And yes they can fill up on liquids so try and restrict what he has during a meal can u bribe him.. Three mouthfuls and you can have a sip of drink. Stay firm and keep at it , uou are doing the right things.

Chatterbox Childcare
25-11-2013, 02:00 PM
I would be concerned if laxatives didn't work - back to the doctors for me and take his dad with you!

Mrsh3103
25-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Has anyone heard of encopresis? This spunds just like my son! Ive been looking on the nhs direct website and came across it. I've phoned the dr but they don't have another available apointment until 5th jan!!!!!!! I need to phone at 8am every morning to see if there are any emergency apps available ahhhh